Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

alcuban

Feb 17, 2005, 2:52 PM

Post #1 of 25 (8688 views)

Shortcut

Gay community in Michoacan?

Can't Post | Private Reply
My partner of 33 years and I have visited Michoacan a few times and really like it. It's a gorgeous city, bigger than SMA but not as huge as Guadalajara, which is about the size of Chicago, where we live now. I was wondering if there is any expat gay community--to have dinner, go out to the movies, etc. Is the expat community concentrated in any one neighborhood, or scattered throughout the city. What is the cultural and intellectual life like? Someone (from Cuernavaca) described M as a "hick" town, whatever that is.

esperanza

Feb 17, 2005, 3:01 PM

Post #2 of 25 (8687 views)

Shortcut

Re: [alcuban] Gay community in Michoacan?

I'm confused: Michoacán is a state, not a city, and a big state to boot. Is there a particular city in Michoacán you're interested in?

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

alcuban

Feb 17, 2005, 3:03 PM

Post #3 of 25 (8684 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Gay community in Michoacan?

Sorry, I meant Morelia, not the whole state of Michoacan.

gpk

Feb 17, 2005, 3:05 PM

Post #4 of 25 (8683 views)

Shortcut

I am sure you mean Morelia, and yes there is a gay community, but I would say it is made up of mostly Mexicans. My partner and I just bought an apartment there, so we will be visiting Morelia often. Guadalajara is considered the gay capital of Mexico by all of my gay Mexican friends, in case you didn't know. We have gay gringo friends who live in Patzcuaro and other Lake Patzcuaro communities, so you would not be alone anywhere.

alcuban

Feb 17, 2005, 3:09 PM

Post #5 of 25 (8682 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpk] Gay community in Michoacan?

In Guadalajara, is Tlaquepaque considered a gay neighborhood?

gpk

Feb 17, 2005, 3:15 PM

Post #6 of 25 (8680 views)

Shortcut

I'm not an expert on Guadalajara, but I think the main gay areas/bars, etc. are in Guadaljara proper. Check out http://www.sergay.com.mx for information about gay Mexico.

esperanza

Feb 17, 2005, 3:49 PM

Post #7 of 25 (8676 views)

Shortcut

Guadalajara is certainly very gay. There are gay bars in many neighborhoods, although the majority are in the downtown area. I know any number of gay and lesbian people here in town (including myself, of course). Some are foreign and some are Mexican.

In addition, there is a large foreign gay male population at Lake Chapala. There are fewer lesbians, but then there are always fewer lesbians. There's an enormous amount of gay socializing, especially in Ajijic, and you'll find many couples who have been together as long and longer than you and your partner.

Tlaquepaque is not especially known for its gay population. We are everywhere, though.

(This post was edited by esperanza on Feb 17, 2005, 4:52 PM)

juditha16

Feb 17, 2005, 4:49 PM

Post #8 of 25 (8670 views)

Shortcut

My partner, Nancy, and I are planning to retire in Morelia this summer. When I inquired on the Yahoo Morelia forum about the gay/lesbian community in the area, one member wrote back that he thought there were "a couple of lesbians in Patzcuaro " :-)

From what I've read, there is not much of an organized expat community in Morelia. But like Esperanza, I'm sure we are there. Nancy and I are especially interested in the arts and classical music. Perhaps we'll find some "family" among the musicians we'll meet. And you may wish to check with Will Chapman, the bookstore owner who lives near Patzcuaro. He posts on the Yahoo Morelia forum.

You're right. Morelia is lovely. Perhaps we'll meet you there someday.
Judith

gpk

Feb 17, 2005, 5:23 PM

Post #9 of 25 (8665 views)

Shortcut

Re: [juditha16] Gay community in Michoacan?

The gay disco in Morelia, Con la Rojas, has at least a 30% lesbian clientele--probably Mexicanas.

TigerTonio

Feb 26, 2005, 9:40 AM

Post #10 of 25 (8590 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
The gay disco in Morelia, Con la Rojas, has at least a 30% lesbian clientele--probably Mexicanas.

I was there on a Thursday night this past November and I would say the percentage of lesbian clientele on that particular night was significantly higher than 30%.

It doesn't take finely tuned 'gaydar' to see that there is a sizeable gay community in Morelia. From what I could tell, it was much like Morelia in general, unassuming at first, but it's most definitely there if you take the time to look.

Not much of a party person these days, but I did happen upon Con la Rojas on an evening stroll through Morelia and thought it to be one of the most beautiful bar/clubs I had ever visited. Wow.

Best,

Tony Anaya
Chicago

gpk

Feb 26, 2005, 12:02 PM

Post #11 of 25 (8584 views)

Shortcut

Re: [TigerTonio] Gay community in Michoacan?

Yes, I was there last Thursday and for some reason, Thursday definitely seems to be ladies night out. The % of women is less on Friday and Saturday--who knows why.

TigerTonio

Feb 26, 2005, 4:11 PM

Post #12 of 25 (8574 views)

Shortcut

Ladies Night...Kool & the Gang...memories.

Is Con la Rojas only open on Thursday, Friday and Saturday?

Tony Anaya
Chicago

gpk

Feb 27, 2005, 5:27 PM

Post #13 of 25 (8546 views)

Shortcut

Re: [TigerTonio] Gay community in Michoacan?

I think so--although I think I heard of an occasional Sunday special event.

esperanza

Feb 27, 2005, 6:13 PM

Post #14 of 25 (8539 views)

Shortcut

Do any of you happen to know what the owner's name is? Could it be a fellow named Alfonso?

TigerTonio

Feb 28, 2005, 7:01 AM

Post #15 of 25 (8531 views)

Shortcut

Upon my early arrival at Con la Rojas, one of the female 'bar backs ' (not sure what they are called in Mexico) approached me and asked if I was new. After gushing with admiration for the place, I asked her who the owners were and she pointed to a very nicely dressed female. At least that's what my rather broken español understood.

Best, Tony
Chicago

gpk

Feb 28, 2005, 9:47 AM

Post #16 of 25 (8511 views)

Shortcut

The owners name is Sofia Rojas and her son also works there. His name may be Alfonso, I don't know.

esperanza

Feb 28, 2005, 9:50 AM

Post #17 of 25 (8510 views)

Shortcut

A fellow named Alfonso recently opened a gay bar in Morelia, but it must be another one. I'll find out.

gpk

Feb 28, 2005, 9:54 AM

Post #18 of 25 (8509 views)

Shortcut

Yes--let me know what you find out! Thanks.

esperanza

Mar 2, 2005, 12:02 PM

Post #19 of 25 (8473 views)

Shortcut

Here's the answer about Alfonso: he was in business with another guy. They opened a gay bar called La Salamandra, but had a falling-out and Poncho left the partnership. La Salamandra is still there, as far as my other friend knows.

jennifer rose

Jun 19, 2005, 12:35 PM

Post #20 of 25 (8330 views)

Shortcut

Re: [juditha16] Gay community in Michoacan?

Can't Post |
See http://www.globalgayz.com/g-mexico.html

TigerTonio

Jul 1, 2005, 10:21 AM

Post #21 of 25 (8241 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Gay community in Michoacan?

Wow -- now that was a fascinating read. The part on Morelia didn't surprise me as I became quite aware of it's 'unassuming' nature this past November. D.F, on the other hand, has seemingly grown into the typical gay urban jungle that most Western gay cities have already evolved into. 15 years ago, I would have loved this type of environment but today it makes me cringe. Honestly, I don't wear my sexuality on my sleeve and as much as I love San Francisco, I prefer a more conservative type of city. Safety is an absolute necessity and descrimination laws are an important factor if I were to seek career work here. However, since I'm really only looking for a vacation/future retirement home at this point, Morelia is till tops on my list of places in Mexico to move.

Viva Morelia!

Best, Tony

gpk

Jul 3, 2005, 6:12 PM

Post #22 of 25 (8209 views)

Shortcut

Re: [TonyAnaya] Gay community in Michoacan?

There were many inaccuracies in the report on Morelia, so I didn't read the other two parts.

TigerTonio

Jul 6, 2005, 8:20 AM

Post #23 of 25 (8172 views)

Shortcut

What did you find inaccurate about the section on Morelia?

gpk

Jul 6, 2005, 8:36 AM

Post #24 of 25 (8174 views)

Shortcut

Re: [TonyAnaya] Gay community in Michoacan?

It wasn't that anything was exactly wrong, it was just that the information was limited and only based on a brief visit. Specifically, the writer left out several very nice gay establishments and made some conclusions based on opinions of others. I have seen this type of report before and all travel writers--gay or otherwsie--seem to follow this pattern.

TigerTonio

Aug 9, 2005, 5:30 AM

Post #25 of 25 (8079 views)

Shortcut

GPK, you are SO right on the mark here. The writer needs to make an extended visit to Morelia in order to capture the true essence of the scene. After visiting Morelia during the latter half of July, I'm convinced that there is much more here than even I ever imagined. I had to laugh as I reread the article where the writer had written about the lack of lesbians. On a weekday at around 6pm, I accidentally discovered Madrezs, a large, recently-opened, stunningly beautiful gay bar on Bartolome de Las Casas (located in el centro, around the block from the gay-owned and operated coffeehouse, Cafe Amsterdam). At that particular moment within Madrezs, the young 'lipstick lesbians' outnumbered the guys, 3 to 1. Probably the most eye-opening experience in Morelia was being invited to an afternoon gay birthday bbq bash. The majority present were educated and successful gay men. Out of a group of around 30 people, 10 were obviously coupled. A couple that I got to know quite well are co-habitating and have been together for 14 years. I want to add that these folks were some of the nicest, most hospitable people on the planet. Needless to say, I had a wonderful time! I'm going to repeat myself here but it's the best way I can describe it -- the scene is as unassuming as Morelia itself. All one needs to do is take the time to look for the gems that have been sewn into the tapestry of this amazing city. Or just spend longer than a week and the gems will find you. ;-)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4