Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

Joyce

Feb 12, 2005, 5:41 PM

Post #1 of 10 (1639 views)

Shortcut

Allowing a friend to drive my auto in Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
A friend will be flying in for a visit to Ajijic in July. She has leased a place up the hill which she can't manage by foot. I would like to give her the use of my car while she is here that month. Can anyone tell me the Mexican car insurance ramifications of doing this?

Rolly

Feb 12, 2005, 5:58 PM

Post #2 of 10 (1628 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Joyce] Allowing a friend to drive my auto in Mexico

Ask your agent. Not all companies have the same rules.

Rolly Pirate

Ed and Fran

Feb 12, 2005, 6:35 PM

Post #3 of 10 (1617 views)

Shortcut

Mexican plates or imported on your FM3? If it's a local car, then it's just as rolly says, a matter of checking with your insurance agent. Iirc, if it's a US plated car, then loaning it to someone outside the family is a no-no.

Regards

E&F

Rolly

Feb 12, 2005, 9:34 PM

Post #4 of 10 (1589 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ed and Fran] Allowing a friend to drive my auto in Mexico

Hola E&F,

The rules are now looser than that for a foreign plated car. In 2004 Article 106 was changed to allow a person outside the owner's family who has an FMT, FM2 or FM3 to drive the car.

Look here for Article 106 -- both the 2000 version with an official translation into English and the 2004 version without a translation.

http://rollybrook.com/article_106.htm

Here is how Google translates the key 2004 paragraph, with emphasis added: (italics were Google messed up)

The vehicles could be drived in national territory by the importer, his spouse, his ascending, descending or brothers, even though these are not foreign, by a foreigner who has some of the migratory qualities to that east interjection talks about, or by a national, whenever in this last case, travels on board of the same anyone of the people authorized to drive the vehicle and will be able to carry out multiple entrances and exits.

Rolly Pirate

rjkveton

Feb 13, 2005, 6:37 AM

Post #5 of 10 (1559 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Allowing a friend to drive my auto in Mexico

I see this differently.

Los vehículos podrán ser conducidos en territorio nacional por el importador, su cónyuge, sus ascendientes, descendientes o hermanos, aun cuando éstos no sean extranjeros, por un extranjero que tenga alguna de las calidades migratorias a que se refiere este inciso, o por un nacional, siempre que en este último caso, viaje a bordo del mismo cualquiera de las personas autorizadas para conducir el vehículo y podrán efectuar entradas y salidas múltiples.

The vehicle may be driven in national territory by the importer, his/her spouse, ancestors, descendants, or brothers/sisters, and when one of these (spouse, ancestor, descendent, brother/sister) is not a foreigner (in other words is a mexican citizen or national), for a foreigner (who is a
spouse, ancestor, descendent, or brother/sister of the importer) who has the same migratory status as the importer.

So if you are a foreigner who want to drive someone else's imported vehicle in mexico, you must still be related to the importer in the ways mentioned, and possess the same migratory status. So this excludes first cousins, aunts/uncles, distant relatives, and friends.

This is my interpretation. Comments anyone?

(This post was edited by rjkveton on Feb 13, 2005, 8:24 AM)

Rolly

Feb 13, 2005, 8:55 AM

Post #6 of 10 (1536 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rjkveton] Allowing a friend to drive my auto in Mexico

The phrase in question is “por un extranjero que tenga alguna de las calidades migratorias a que se refiere este inciso.” I believe the words “se refiere este inciso” refer not to family members listed earlier in the sentence, but rather to the class of people defined in the opening paragraph of this section:

Las de vehículos propiedad de extranjeros que se internen al país con calidad de inmigrantes rentistas o de no inmigrantes, excepto tratándose de refugiados y asilados políticos, siempre que se trate de un solo vehículo.

I take this to mean anyone with an FM*.

I would be happy to accept Jennifer Rose as the final word on this interpretation.

Rolly Pirate

bdlngton

Feb 14, 2005, 10:14 AM

Post #7 of 10 (1453 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Allowing a friend to drive my auto in Mexico

"por un extranjero que tenga alguna de las calidades migratorias a que se refiere este inciso" is the phrase under question here. I agree with Rolly as my understanding of this is that the "inciso" (clause, paragraph) is specifically for foreigners who bring a car into the country. Then who may drive that care is outlined as self, spouse, descendents, parents, a sibling, even is he/she is a foreigner, and foreigners who have one (alguna) of the immigration status that this "inciso" applies to.

Other Spanish speakers, how do you interpret this?
Susy

Susy

heathesq

Feb 14, 2005, 11:06 AM

Post #8 of 10 (1439 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bdlngton] Allowing a friend to drive my auto in Mexico

In January the Canadian Club at Chapala had a presentation and answer session with the heads of Immicracion and Customs. This question came up and they said that anyone with FMT, FM3, or FM2 could drive a foreign plated car as long as they had a letter of authorization. I was not there, but talked about it with people who were there and in fact I was just geting on line to pose this question.

If its a translation, what does Jennifer Rose say?

Roger

Joyce

Feb 14, 2005, 1:58 PM

Post #9 of 10 (1405 views)

Shortcut

Re: [heathesq] Allowing a friend to drive my auto in Mexico

Would that letter of authorization need to be from the owner of the vehicle or from a Mexican governmental agency?

I think I'm as confused now as I was when I posted the original question! Ms. Rose?

Rolly

Feb 14, 2005, 2:21 PM

Post #10 of 10 (1397 views)

Shortcut

From the owner. And it's a good idea in the USA as well.

Rolly Pirate

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4