Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Bubba

Feb 4, 2005, 4:37 PM

Post #26 of 48 (2712 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Uncle Jack] Bowflex

| Private Reply
OK, Tio Jackson. Some hot Hush Puppies with a platter of fried oysters and shrimp fresh out of the gulf at Bayou la Batre and some West Indies Crab Salad and ice cold beer along with some fine cole slaw and if you cain't get down to the western shore of Mobile Bay to enjoy this delightful food then head on out to Riberas del Pilar and look for that new BBQ place the name of which escapes me but which serves up Carolina pulled BBQ pork and is just across the highway from Estafeta and to tell you the truth the Maestro de BBQ does not make a great BBQ sauce but nobody's perfect so keep in mind that you are in Mexico and just be glad you can get this stuff but a company known as Productos Alimenticios la Guadalupana, S.A. de C.V. in Tepatitlan, Jalisco makes a fine salsa based upon Chiles de Arbol that is a mighty fine sauce and you'll be OK eating that stuff and drinkin' yo' beer so just relax and have some fun.

Let Georgia and Pete worry about befouling this planet longer than necessary by hanging around longer than required to have some fun. Pete wil never spend his money anyway 'cause he's too cheap and if Georgia is hot on Orange County she has nothing to spend her money on in the first place.

Georgia

Feb 4, 2005, 8:24 PM

Post #27 of 48 (2704 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Cybex or Nautilus circuits

| Private Reply
But, Bubba baby, how are your abs? Mine are getting floppy. I miss my gym!

bobjud

Feb 5, 2005, 4:23 AM

Post #28 of 48 (2695 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Bowflex

| Private Reply
Before you buy equipment of any kind, you may want to buy a book entitled "Younger Next Year", a guide to living like your 50 into your 70's and 80's and beyond. It's written by a doctor and a layman and focuses on proper exercise for people over 50. I'm about half way through the book myself .. it is enjoyable reading (believe it or not!) and is packed with great information.

Bubba

Feb 5, 2005, 11:06 AM

Post #29 of 48 (2665 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] Cybex or Nautilus circuits

| Private Reply
Georgia Darlin' :

Bubba suggests long sleeve shirts. Any other solutions constitute work.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Feb 5, 2005, 2:31 PM)

Georgia

Feb 5, 2005, 4:01 PM

Post #30 of 48 (2645 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Cybex or Nautilus circuits

| Private Reply
Dearest Bubba, I'll give it some thought. Perhaps a burkha would do the job.

mkdutch

Feb 6, 2005, 10:27 AM

Post #31 of 48 (2599 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Uncle Jack] Bowflex

| Private Reply
To get back to your original query, Pete, Just don't expect miracles overnight. After age 40, it gets tougher and tougher to retain that svelte figure you once enjoyed. And a serious reordering of priorities regarding food AND drink. Stopping boozing and eating in moderation, along with moderate, consistent excercise can work wonders getting your weight down. Resistance training and/or swimming will tone what's left. You will also extend your programmed life on this planet unless hit by a burro on Colon. Been there, done that. And it works.

Having said this, you need to know that while I know what I need to do, I haven't for the last decade. And it shows...8^). Having been tagged with the title of Buffet King and Champagne Brunch Bum of Las Vegas, and placed on Bruno's, Salvador's and Min Wah's Select List of Consistent Customers, I have chosen a more decadent lifestyle until the Fitness Fervor hits once again. Fresh Strawberry Margaritas have also passed these lips in copious quantities. But I'm a happy camper. Take your pick, and Buena Suerte............Dutch

EEK

Feb 7, 2005, 11:42 AM

Post #32 of 48 (2549 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mkdutch] Bowflex

| Private Reply
Pete. You started this so I will talk to you. Read my earlier reply and pay no attention to evil doers. Don't listen to Bubba' s foul mouth in talking about good food. I listened to Bubba once (he hit me with my weakness--cajun food) and all I got was blubba. So now you see...Bubba is only one letter away from blubba (I know it's blubber...whatever!). Me, me, me, eek!

gbatrucks

Feb 7, 2005, 12:20 PM

Post #33 of 48 (2540 views)

Shortcut

Re: [EEK] Bowflex

| Private Reply
http://www.walkaerobics.com/
"The trouble with life is there's no background music."

DonaldEug44

Feb 7, 2005, 1:10 PM

Post #34 of 48 (2529 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Johanson,
Now that everyone has quieted down a bit with their teasing I thought I would chime in. Since I have not been down there yet I do not know how closely the Costco there shadows the NOB stores, but the Costco here in Everett, WA has the bowflex machine for a pretty decent price. As I remember it was between $850us and $900us. I believe normal retail is close to $1200us so it seemed to be a good price. If they do not have them at the Costco there you might want to go onto their web site and see if they could send one down there and give you the same price. Just a thought.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. - Albert Einstein

johanson

Feb 7, 2005, 1:43 PM

Post #35 of 48 (2520 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DonaldEug44] Bowflex

| Private Reply
Thanks for the Costco tip, Donald. I will take a look. You mentioned you're from Everett. When not in Ajijic I take Exit 210 on I-5 to head to Lake Cavanaugh

NEOhio

Feb 7, 2005, 2:24 PM

Post #36 of 48 (2512 views)

Shortcut

|
While surfing for something to watch other than the game I found a commercial for QVC that said they would have a 2-hour BowFlex sale-a-thon. Now I didn't catch the time or day, cuz I was moving pretty fast thru the channels and it only occured to me later. Since you get those USofA channels Pete see if you can find it - they have quite a few machines at several different levels - and usually explain each fairly well. I would think the QVC website would have a schedule - maybe even explain the machines in print. (Which is better than watch that drivel!)

cristalhombre

Feb 7, 2005, 6:26 PM

Post #37 of 48 (2486 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Pete I have a Bowflex and like all other fitness equipment it is pretty boring. My wife uses it to hang laundry on so I call it the $1200 dollar clothes tree/drying rack. I once heard that 85% of fitness equipment is rarely used, and my machine confirms that.

Here is my suggestion for your fitness program. 4 easy words. "Get outta the casa"........ the trail to the chapel is only about 50 feet from your front gate as I recall. Last week while visiting Ajijic my wife and I climbed that awesome hillside every morning about sunrise (7am). On Wednesday last week we continued on to the top (about 3 1/2 hours up) but the view is amazing and you can see the outlying areas of Guadalajara. I'm not suggesting you do that quite yet, but pace yourself to walk up the trail and add 5 minutes each day or every other day. You will meet many others (mostly Mexicans trying to get an aerobic push in before work I would imagine) It is very safe and well worth the effort.

I am always surprised to see so FEW gringos hiking those trails. A very cheap and enjoyable way to keep the body healthy!

No sense in playing the age card as we met 3 guys near the top on last week and 2 were likely about 65 and the other younger. They told us of a group that meets at Donna's Donut Shop every Friday morning for a hike somewhere on the trails above Lake Chapala.

The other hike that we took for the first time is just west of you at the top of Tempisque (near Tres Leones) This trail follows a beautiful canyon and dry creek bed up to a tribal ground for some type of Indian ceremony. The views are spectacular and I will try and include an early morning photo here of sunrise. This is about a 130 meter climb.

Now back in the Pacific Northwest where the weather is wet and chilly.

Good luck

Sorry but my picture exceeded the 195K allowed for an image........too bad as it might have inspired you!

"NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST...."

johanson

Feb 7, 2005, 7:29 PM

Post #38 of 48 (2478 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cristalhombre] Bowflex

| Private Reply

I'm saddened by your post, Christalhombre. I Wanted to believe if I bought that piece of equipment, I could just look at it and get into better shape. (85% failure rate scares me) I determined that I would need two pieces of equipment, if I wanted to meet my goals. Because I might very well not have the motivation to use a workout bench. I will start buy purchasing a cardio vascular system, one that I found in Guad. I've got plenty of room for it in my master bathroom which is 14 by 15 feet. I will position it in front of the bathroom TV

That way, while watching King 5 news I can work out using the equipment. Sadly the bathroom TV is small so I won't be watching the HD feed, but I can make the sacrifice to get the Doc off my back about my physical shape

Kip

Feb 7, 2005, 8:20 PM

Post #39 of 48 (2465 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

Hey Pete! If you'd leave your wheels at home and hoof it to Laguna for a couple of weeks, you wouldn't need the exercise equipment!
kip

(This post was edited by Kip on Feb 7, 2005, 8:26 PM)

johanson

Feb 7, 2005, 9:43 PM

Post #40 of 48 (2452 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Kip] Bowflex

| Private Reply
yes I know, darn it

Jerry@Ajijic

Feb 8, 2005, 6:24 AM

Post #41 of 48 (2434 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Pete. you sound like me trying to learn Spanish by sleeping with a Spanish text book under my pillow. It hasn't worked so far.

EEK

Feb 8, 2005, 7:35 AM

Post #42 of 48 (2417 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jerry@Ajijic] Bowflex

| Private Reply
Jerry: Try sliding that Spanish text book under an almohalilla. Pillows are dumb. EEK!

Georgia

Feb 8, 2005, 7:43 AM

Post #43 of 48 (2415 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Hey, Pete, don't despair. If you watch the news 1/2 hour a day and use your machine during that time slot, no exceptions, it will make a difference. Actually, I think that after about 2 weeks you will be surprised at how much easier it becomes.

I can remember when I first started using a treadmill: 1.8 mph for 10 minutes winded me. As time, speed, and the length of my workout increased, imperceptibly, I remember being stunned by myself one day when I had the urge to actually run on the damned thing. So I did. I don't think I had done that since I was 10 - not sure - I can't remember back that far. It was actually fun. This was at a gym I belonged to in our town and they had the treadmills in the storefront window, facing the main street. I could snoop on everyone's comings and goings while working out. I loved it! Got so I didn't realize I was striding along at 3 - 4 mph. It's the only thing I miss about the frozen northeast.

EEK

Feb 8, 2005, 12:13 PM

Post #44 of 48 (2377 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] Bowflex

| Private Reply
Pete: This is becoming confusing. Here is the dilemma; if you work at it, it takes effort. If you don't you become another manatee. Remember they ate the last manatee we sent to the lake. EEK!

Bubba

Feb 8, 2005, 1:11 PM

Post #45 of 48 (2367 views)

Shortcut

Re: [EEK] Bowflex

| Private Reply
EEK!

Let's not forget that manatees had long and stress-free lives until someone came up with a mechanical contraption known as an outboard motor which nearly destroyed them. Let's hope this Bowflex contraption does not send us Ajijic manatees down the same path.

Let's face it, a Bowflex machine is nothing more than a rowboat on the River Styx. Save your money, you'll be crossing that cherished destination soon enough no matter what you do in this life.

Reverend Bubba

(This post was edited by Bubba on Feb 8, 2005, 1:14 PM)

DonaldEug44

Feb 8, 2005, 1:28 PM

Post #46 of 48 (2360 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Bowflex

| Private Reply
Amen Brother!!! Now will someone hush long enough to pass the plate of sausage and biscuits and the bowl of gravy?

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. - Albert Einstein

EEK

Feb 8, 2005, 2:52 PM

Post #47 of 48 (2347 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DonaldEug44] Bowflex

| Private Reply
Count me in of the sausage, biscuits and gravy. Lent starts tomorrow and I have to give up something. Think I'll give up liver ... never did like the stuff anyway. EEK!

tonyburton

Feb 8, 2005, 3:26 PM

Post #48 of 48 (2338 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
This thread has wandered / meandered way beyond its original scope - it's being locked so you can start a new one!
Long threads which wander can become a nightmare for new subscribers trying to find information!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4