Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

snowpeople

Jan 29, 2005, 2:24 PM

Post #1 of 6 (4322 views)

Shortcut

New Travel Advisory from State Dept.

Can't Post | Private Reply
Has anyone seen this latest travel advisory from the state department: http://travel.state.gov/...a_tw/pa/pa_2100.html

Any thoughts?

Texwheel

Jan 29, 2005, 4:00 PM

Post #2 of 6 (4305 views)

Shortcut

Re: [snowpeople] New Travel Advisory from State Dept.

Snow,

I don't live in Mexico, but re: the many posts regarding this subject on this forum, just use the appropriate caution suggested by other posters and you and your group will be fine.
Tom Williams
Georgetown, Texas
Texwheel@aol.com

kirkswig

Jan 29, 2005, 4:40 PM

Post #3 of 6 (4294 views)

Shortcut

Since we're linking to all these establishment stories about this issue, how about a view from the other side?

To boldly go where no wig has gone before.

Carol Schmidt

Jan 29, 2005, 6:30 PM

Post #4 of 6 (4275 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kirkswig] New Travel Advisory from State Dept.

Thanks for this link--I appreciated hearing the other side. Having experienced five burglaries and robberies in the last four years we lived in downtown LA in which one home entry assault left Norma beaten unconscious, a murder in our backyard, the Hillside Strangler and Night Stalker terrorizing our neighborhoods, gangs threatening visitors to our home and demanding protection money for their cars or else their vehicles got vandalized, bullets riddling the night and leaving lines of machine gun holes in cars abandoned on the sides of the streets, police helicopters beaming searchlights into our backyard looking for running felons, I keep Mexican crime news in perspective.

Carol Schmidt

Ed and Fran

Jan 29, 2005, 6:52 PM

Post #5 of 6 (4268 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Carol Schmidt] New Travel Advisory from State Dept.

I don't normally put a lot of stock in CNN, but since this was on top of their page this evening I thought it might be interesting since it directly relates to the thread. Article in part reads:

MEXICO CITY, Mexico (AP) -- The United States and Mexico sought to defuse their spat over a U.S. alert about drug-gang violence along the border, issuing a joint statement Saturday in which Washington said its announcement was not meant to keep Americans from traveling south of the border.

Full story at:
http://www.cnn.com/....alert.ap/index.html

fwiw, our part of Mexico is pretty peaceful too.

Regards

E & F

snowpeople

Feb 13, 2005, 7:59 PM

Post #6 of 6 (4136 views)

Shortcut

We just got back from our eight-day driving trip to Colima via the Nuevo Laredo crossing. Never once did we feel unsafe. On our way down, we crossed on a Saturday morning about 9:00. The next Saturday (yesterday) we came back across around 1:00 p.m. Maybe it's different at night, but we felt completely at ease. Just thought I'd share.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4