Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

julietl

Jan 17, 2005, 3:23 PM

Post #1 of 11 (2060 views)

Shortcut

Your Best Pick for SMA

Can't Post | Private Reply

A girlfriend and I are taking a road trip this week to get out of pollution land. We are going to San Miguel for lunch and to partake in los aguas termales.

For those of you in the know - what restaurant would you recommend for lunch? Is there a new place that you have been raving about? We are seriously up for anything, any cusine and price - just something fabulous!

Thanks -
Juliet

Carol Schmidt

Jan 17, 2005, 11:11 PM

Post #2 of 11 (2036 views)

Shortcut

Re: [julietm] Your Best Pick for SMA

These are my current favorites:
Harry's New Orleans for its huge menu (shrimp and tasso fettucini is Norma's standard, I always get the fried oysters), Ole Ole for chicken and beef fajitas (if you go M-Tu-Wed between 1:30 and 4:30 one of the guys in my watercolor class sings and plays guitar then as an accompaniment), or Cafe de la Parroquia for traditional Mexican dishes in a lovely courtyard (clsoed Mondays). Tio Lucas has many devotees, especially for its beef.

I love Nirvana (closed Tuesdays) on Hernandes Macias N of Mesones, across from the Hotel Sautto, for a beautiful small restaurant with fusion food--try the Thai fish curry soup for an entire meal, with the jamaica blossom quesadillas on the side. Casa Payo at Zacateros an Pila Sica has excellent grilled Argentinian beef.

For something different I've been wanting to go to El Bacha, a new Lebanese restaurant on Piedras Chinas 21, corner of Salida a Queretaro next to the viewpoint--closed Tuesday, and they have a buffet Wed-Sun.

Anyone else want to name their lunch favorites?

Carol Schmidt

not_ally

Jan 18, 2005, 6:49 AM

Post #3 of 11 (2027 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Carol Schmidt] Your Best Pick for SMA

I'll second on La Parroquia, always good food and a pleasant place to hang out. Have to say that I do not like Harry's, seems like most times when I've been there I've been the only brown skinned person there (I'm Indian by descent) except for the wait staff. Also, any time after early afternoon, there seems to be a heavy percentage of big-haired, loud, heavy drinkers in there. And if you sit in the main room the owner/manager (not sure which he is) is always smoking a really stinky cigar. Maybe I've just been unlucky, Carol, I know that you're the furthest thing from the folks described above.

Another place that I like for lunch is the restaurant at the Quinta Loreto. Quiet, great comida corrida, perfect pit-stop if you're shopping in the Artisan's Market (or paying your electric bill.)

Also, the shrimp platter (grilled, fried and coconut, yum!) at Hecho en Mexico is always terrific.
----------------------------
"The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly I discover there is no reason." John Cage

jennifer rose

Jan 18, 2005, 9:30 AM

Post #4 of 11 (2008 views)

Shortcut

Re: [not_ally] Your Best Pick for SMA

Can't Post |
The pies at Quinta Loreto are to die for. The dining room sort of reminds me of the Catskills meets 1967. My sister and her husband had Christmas dinner there, and they commented that it was the best Christmas dinner they'd ever had, honest and devoid of the chichi touches that so many places try to inflict upon Christmas dinner.

But we're talking about impressing someone who's trekking all the way from D.F.

Now, when I drive from Morelia to San Miguel de Allende, my first stop is usually El Pegaso, just so I can get my pastrami sandwich fix out of the way. But my splurge favorite remains a place on Hidalgo -- Milou de Monteferrier's place -- whose name evades me at the moment. Los Laureles strkes a note.

Cynthia7

Jan 18, 2005, 10:40 AM

Post #5 of 11 (1997 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Your Best Pick for SMA

I love Hecho in Mexico for consistently good food in an attractive setting. Ole Ole has wonderful fajitas and that mushroom with garlic dish is delicious. La Capilla is our movie set restaurant- expensive- I recommend a margarita at sunset to get in the mood. Tio Lucas for music and steak, Campanario for their fungus (can't spell that word) crepes. Bugambilia is in a Mexican home and one of the oldest restaurants- Chiles in Nogada- a specialty. Hard to beat the ambiance at Villa Santa Monica for lunch. Not hard to find good food here.

julietl

Jan 18, 2005, 11:01 AM

Post #6 of 11 (1993 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Your Best Pick for SMA

Thanks for the suggestions.

I am going to write them all down and decide when we get there. Nirvana sounds really interesting. My friend is about to graduate from chefs school (in June), so she might like to try the fusion place.

If Harry's is a New Orleans type of place, do you know if they have those chile pepper martinis? There is a New Orleans place near my dad's house in Santa Barbara that makes them as a house specialty, and I absolutley love them. (They have done wonders for our father/daughter relationship!) If Harry's has those, we'll go there for a cocktail first.

I will let you know where we went. Also, now that this post has been moved to the SMA section, can you recommend your favorite hots springs place?

Thanks!

Carol Schmidt

Jan 18, 2005, 12:06 PM

Post #7 of 11 (1987 views)

Shortcut

Los Laureles at Hidalgo 4 is indeed the location of an expensive restaurant that I've never gone into--the prices were out of my range. Also in the Laureles courtyard is a Cuban shop with imported Cuban cigars--someone asked about the availability of Cuban cigars in SMA awhile back. It's a few doors down from Harry's.

I've never noticed a chile pepper martini at Harry's but then I never look at the drinks menu. I do notice more gringos than usual in the bar area on Wednesdays for the 2 for 1 martinis. But I sit in one of the booths out of range of all that. And Bob, the owner, can be pretty smarmy when he is making his rounds--never noticed his cigars, but then I sit in the booths in the back.

The restaurant is so popular that Bob is opening a second larger Harry's in Queretaro Centro. We love the place--very large menu ranging from the Employees' Meal, whatever the chef is cooking for the employees that day, to Lobster Thermidor and all you can eat crawdads fresh in the aquarium as you come in. The huge bronzed pork chop and the comfort food meatloaf are very popular. I get rice jambalaya as one of my sides, and the creamed spinach and the saffron mashed potatoes are also popular side choices. There are several comfort food items on the menu, including a wedge of iceberg lettuce with blue cheese dressing, very retro.

Since you're splurging, the chocolate truffle cake is like eating a hunk of Godiva fudge, beautifully plated, and the creme brulee, Bananas Elvis (similar to Bananas Foster), and the day's specialty, often something like peach crepes, are absolutely wonderful.

Nirvana would be an excellent choice--quiet and elegant. You'll want to take the artistic plates home with you. The chef has worked in NY, Spain, Acapulco and the Puertacita Hotel in SMA. ( Puertacita is one of the most expensive hotels and restaurants in town--overpriced for my tastes), The ever-changing day's menu is on a chalkboard--besides the Thai soup and jamaica quesadillas I've seen huge coconut-crusted shrimp, salmon carpaccio, venison, ostrich fajitas in tamarind sauce, salmon in mango/coconut sauce and shrimp tempura. After dinner you'll be given a small shot of Harvey's Bristol Creme whiskey with cream, or something similar.

As for the thermal pools, the most popular is Taboada, with three pools, one Olympic sized, one a spa, one for kids. I think the water is changed on Tuesdays, so many people prefer to go Wed-Fri, before the families with kids hit on the weekends. Often in the morning there is a water aerobics exercise group going on.

I prefer La Gruta, which is a series of small indoor pools leading to the final hottest one that is a cave, with a skylight overhead the only light. But if you really want to stretch out and swim, Taboada is the most like a professional pool.

I haven't been to Santa Veronica, Parador del Cortijo, Balneario Xote, or Escondido Place. I checked Lonely Planet and it says Parador del Cortijo is "a hotel-restaurant with a thermal pool, sauna, whirlpool bath and massages." That might be the most luxurious since you're splurging.

Have a fantastic visit!

Carol Schmidt

julietl

Jan 18, 2005, 3:36 PM

Post #8 of 11 (1970 views)

Shortcut

Thanks Carol - you have settled it for me.

I can't go tomorrow, but we'll come down Wednesday next week:

Hit Nirvana for lunch - the menu sounds amazing.
Go to La Gruta to work off the lunch .....yeah, right! (I mean laze around in the cave pool. )
Then back in to town for the 2 x 1 martinis at Harrys. I don't mind if there are gringos there - I never get to meet any here.

cheers!

elcomputo

Jan 30, 2005, 1:01 PM

Post #9 of 11 (1564 views)

Shortcut

Since you did say any cuisine at any price, you could be missing out on some tasty treats if you stick to strictly high roller prices. For example, you can probably get a shrimp cocktail at any cart in town that sells them and get some good num-nums for a tiny price.

The one I favor (there's always a crowd of locals there) is on a corner of the Ancha San Antonio between the Pemex station and TelMex. The woman sells, for 400 pesos, a huge vaso of large, cold shrimp in a delicious salsa. You can add picante sauce to your heart's delight, and there are crackers on the sidewalk tables if you prefer to nibble the little delights off of them rather than off of a soup spoon.

She's also got beer and soft drinks to wash them down with.

After downing this large appetizer, you can walk a few steps toward TelMex (pausing, if you wish, to admire the large stock of goods in the furniture store on your left or crossing the street to pick up a loaf of sour dough French bread from El Maple panderia to nibble on between meals). On your left will be a small restaurant sitting back from the sidewalk. It's run by a woman and her daughter. Get there before 4 p.m.

As you will be paying only 250 pesos for the comida corrida (and another 100 pesos for a bottle of Indio cerveza negra), you will have lots of wampum left over to blow on your fabulously expensive cena later on that evening. You never know what will be on the comida corrida (Spanish for "blue plate special"), but you can count on it being good and filling.

x

esperanza

Jan 30, 2005, 1:10 PM

Post #10 of 11 (1561 views)

Shortcut

Re: [elcomputo] Your Best Pick for SMA

I'm reading your post and thinking that surely you mean 40 pesos for a shrimp cocktail, 25 for the comida corrida, and 10 for the beer.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

elcomputo

Jan 30, 2005, 4:09 PM

Post #11 of 11 (1556 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Your Best Pick for SMA

Some day my keyboard is going to stop slipping in extra zeros on me!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4