Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Gulf of Mexico

El Queso Grande

Jan 13, 2005, 4:28 PM

Post #1 of 7 (3534 views)

Shortcut

come on, let's get talking

Can't Post | Private Reply
Come on folks, I know there are more of you out there who, like me, are getting ready to move south and are interested in the area covered by this forum. And after all we have the best moderator in Sr.Roy! I check twice a day, day after day, and see no new postings.
How about this - Can anyone tell me of a good place to retire in a small town outside of Xalapa? Would like to be close to Xalapa and to Veracruz but it's too hot on the coast and Xalapa is too big.
Anything in the mountains south of Xalapa? I want a cool jungle.
Figured I might be able to get some discussions going on this forum. Somebody help me!!!

Thanks,
Dave

"I'm not so think as you drunk I am."

E-mail me at xalapaboy@aol.com

Ed and Fran

Jan 13, 2005, 5:29 PM

Post #2 of 7 (3526 views)

Shortcut

Re: [El Queso Grande] come on, let's get talking

I too would love to be up in the Xalapa area, probably anywhere from Fortin de las Flores to Coatepec. Unfortunately, we live on the coast where, as you so correctly point out, it's too hot.

Actually, today was an absolutely gorgeous day down here. Partly cloudy, breezy, temperature in the mid-70's most of the day. If you didn't know what it would be like in August you might even get fooled into considering Tuxpan.

Regards

E&F

El Queso Grande

Jan 13, 2005, 5:52 PM

Post #3 of 7 (3526 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ed and Fran] come on, let's get talking

Ed, Fran - Thank you,

Kind of hated to just jump out naked but you came to my rescue. Been reading great and informative post from you guys for a long time now and you always have something to add to the collective info of us all.
How 'bout going into it a little more. After all this time I do not know what area yall live in except as in the gulf coast. If it is Tuxpan tell us about the town and what is going on there . How hot is it normally this time of year and the rest for that matter. Can you tell us a little bit about these towns you mentioned also. Or if we can push it, how about making it a lot instead of a little bit?
Are there any expats hanging around in the area? What do you find heading down the coast from Veracruz?
Again, yall are great for answering,

Dave
P.s. Perhaps Bubba will add something about his observations.

"I'm not so think as you drunk I am."

E-mail me at xalapaboy@aol.com

Ed and Fran

Jan 13, 2005, 6:13 PM

Post #4 of 7 (3519 views)

Shortcut

Don't know if you saw the kind of general introduction to Veracruz post I did last year. You can find it on page two of the Gulf forum (there are only 3 pages) and it's called "Some thoughts on Veracruz".

One problem that I'd have in writing more about other parts of the state is that I have only passed through them briefly as a tourist, and I hate to write too much based on such a slight sampling. Of course I'm always willing to try and answer any specific questions, even if I know nothing about it. roy would know a lot more about Xalapa and anything in that part of the state.

My rough almanac for Tuxpan, based on visiting here frequently for 7 years and living here full time for just over a year is:

December - actually quite pleasant. Normally some rain, but it was dry this year. You can start to turn the a/c off.

Jan-Feb - can get chilly when the frequent northers blow through. My electric bill gets a brief break. Fran and family complain about the cold. I break out my long sleeve shirts.

March - spring, another pleasant month, unless the weather gets screwed up like last year. Then you don't know what to expect.

April - May - pretty warm, humid. A/C starting to get used a lot. Fans blowing in all rooms.

June-July-August-Sept-Oct - HOT, HUMID. Fran and family happy. Yours truly hibernates in his cave with the a/c on 24/7. No wait for tee times at the golf course, care to guess why? Lots of beach time. Tuxpan resembles Houston on a bad day (but with less traffic).

Nov - a toss up. Expect some decent weather, but this year it stayed hot and I continued to run the a/c every day.

Weather forecast is for a cold front to blow in tonight. We'll see.

Regards

E&F

"El Gringo Jalapeño"

Jan 14, 2005, 1:06 PM

Post #5 of 7 (3492 views)

Shortcut

"Quesote"= El Queso Grande:
It's good to someone making a post! I love the climate in Xalapa, though some complain about the cold(I can NOT stand heat!). There are lots of villages near Xalapa that can give you a range of climates. Head east and you have heat, head west and you have mountains(cool/cold). The village of Xico is one of my favorites, as well as Naolinco, Teocelo, etc. Up the Gulf coast there is Nautla/Tecolutla and the Costa Esmeralda which are a little less hot than Tuxpan. There are lots of places off the beaten path that I don't know about.
You really need to come down and explore the area. Once again I repeat my saying..."One man's heaven is another man's hell".
¡Portense mal y cuidense bien!
Roy B. Dudley "El Gringo Jalapeño" See more about Xalapa at www.xalaparoy.com

sfmacaws

Jan 14, 2005, 7:08 PM

Post #6 of 7 (3480 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ed and Fran] come on, let's get talking

Tuxpan resembles Houston on a bad day

OMG Ed! That's as bad as it gets! Surely it can't be that bad, nothing is as bad as Houston! Well, you did say there was less traffic.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

RosanaHart

Jan 15, 2005, 6:45 AM

Post #7 of 7 (3472 views)

Shortcut

I liked Xico too

I would add my bit for Xico as a possibility too. Really liked it when we were there two years ago. Didn't stay in the area long enough to check out the other towns that Roy mentioned, but I would if we go back there.

Here's a page about Xico with photos, from a book I wrote a couple of years ago.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rosana Hart
http://www.mexico-with-heart.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4