Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

alex .

Jan 11, 2005, 1:37 PM

Post #1 of 3 (980 views)

Shortcut

tidal wave circa 1978

Can't Post | Private Reply
My wife has always resisted the purchase of a beachfront home. I always thought that to be strange until the recent tsunami activity. She recounted how she had to similarly run for her life from a tidal wave in Zihuatanejo when she was 9 years old. That would have been around 1978. Any of you historians have anything on that event ?
Alex

tonyburton / Moderator

Jan 11, 2005, 2:56 PM

Post #2 of 3 (964 views)

Shortcut

Re: [alex .] tidal wave circa 1978

Most likely contender would be the tsunami registered for March 14, 1979 on the coast of Guerrero, the result of a 7.6 quake; caused about 15 deaths.

wendy devlin

Jan 13, 2005, 9:11 AM

Post #3 of 3 (861 views)

Shortcut

Re: [alex .] Mexican tidal circa 1995

A tsunami...once experienced, seldom forgotten.
Like your wife's experience.

The west coast village of La Manzanilla experienced a tsunami in 1995 related to the huge earthquake that rocked Melaque and Manzanillo. Fortunately for La Manzanilla, the wave moved slower than people could run and there was no loss of life. Although there was considerable water and mud dammage to the village.http://www.usc.edu/dept/tsunamis/manzanillo/

Both Melaque and Manzanillo experienced structural property dammage and locals told me that it took about four years before tourism started to recover. I visited Melaque in 1993 on a road trip with my family throughout Mexico.

When I read on the internet in 1995, about the dammage and the difficulty rebuilding, I was motivated to start writing about my positive experiences in the villages of the Costa Alegre...to help restimulate international tourism.

But there were also other, more personal motives.

I remembered the numbing horror of watching my oldest son, 9, nearly being swept away by a rip tide at Zipolite in 1993. In moments like this, time seems frozen. Only seconds pass, but it seems like you are gazing into the maw of eternity.

And my screaming for help while holding the other two younger children as my husband, a non-swimmer dashed into the waves. And no one on the beach, especially the Mexican vendors making a move to assist. But somehow Arbon got hold of our son and was able to throw him further towards the shore. And both of them struggling to shore and surviving.

Despite months of caution in the water, it only takes a tiny slip of judgement or misfortune to nearly lose your life. I've never taken anything for granted since that longest of seconds.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4