Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

jennifer rose

Jan 9, 2005, 1:30 PM

Post #1 of 10 (1741 views)

Shortcut

Soup, Glorious Soup

Can't Post |
Every day, the Cheff (my neighborhood caterer and cocina) offers up two different soups. Sometimes the choice isn't hard, like when cauliflower soup is among the offerings. Whatever is behind Door No. 2 has got to be better than cauliflower soup. Even a warm bowl of gasoline. All right, i just don't like cooked cauliflower.

But today was a lucky day, because I was forced to choose between Sopa Tarasca and Caldo Xochitl. Hard decisions, because both are favorites. (I opted for the Tarascan).

Which led me to this thread. What's your favorite Mexican soup? And how might it be prepared?

(I'll leave the discussion for Sopa Tarasca for later, because folks have been known to bitterly dispute what constitutes a proper Sopa Tarasca.)

Uncle Jack

Jan 9, 2005, 1:37 PM

Post #2 of 10 (1739 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Soup, Glorious Soup

Can't Post | Private Reply
If menudo is considered a sopa rather than a guisado, it'll get my vote anytime. A hot bowl (or two) with the proper condiments and fresh handmade tortillas is about as good as it gets for me.......a couple of icy Bohemias help.

uj

esperanza

Jan 9, 2005, 3:47 PM

Post #3 of 10 (1730 views)

Shortcut

<reminds herself not to prepare cream of cauliflower soup for JR>

What a very difficult question: ONE favorite Mexican soup out of the hundreds--and those just the hundreds of the sopas aguadas y cremas?

Sopa Tarasca would be right up there, along with a greenly delicious atápakua of epazote and tomate that I ate last spring. But then there's the homely caldo de pollo, which is food for the gods when properly prepared. Or a steaming cocido with aguachile. Or Crema de elote with rajas de chile poblano. Or Crema de hongos, preferably those big orange Michoacán hongos.

Ay ay ay. I love soup. This question is unfair.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Ed and Fran

Jan 9, 2005, 4:31 PM

Post #4 of 10 (1725 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Soup, Glorious Soup

Yeah, tough one, but I'd have to go with Caldo Xochitl. I've seen it done a bunch of different ways (should I say 'weird' ways?) but what I consider the basic caldo xochitl would be something based on caldo de pollo, with some pollo deshebrado, arroz, garbanzos, misc other stuff, at least one whole chile chipotle laying (in wait) on the bottom, with a plate of chopped cebolla, cilantro, and chile serrano on the side to add to taste. Maybe some small squares of queso manchego to drop in while it's still hot.

Too bad I read the thread too late to suggest it to Fran for cena this evening.

btw, I used to hate cauliflower too, but I've come to grips with finding it in various stews and/or soups down here. By the time it's cooked it has kind of given up any individual flavor it might have had and has simply assumed the character of the main sauce. Maybe it's just part of my cultural assimilation program where I ask a lot less questions about stuff I find in my food in various places.

E&F

Carron

Jan 10, 2005, 11:16 AM

Post #5 of 10 (1700 views)

Shortcut

Definitely sopa Azteca, to which I became addicted when I lived in Chiapas. My son-in-law, who was in training to become an Olympic cyclist, ate it every time we went out to a restaurant. And I depended on it many times when I entertained at home. Easy to ladle out of an electric crock pot and the condiments in numerous individual bowls make a great table decoration by themselves.

Basically, just a pot of good chicken broth to which I added something with tomatoes (0ften a couple of tablespoons of "fried" plain spaghetti sauce without lumps of anything) and let bubble away for about half an hour so the flavors would blend.

As for the condiments to add al gusto, I offered fried pork rinds instead of fried tortilla strips (put the rind into the serving bowl first, then add broth), queso fresco, finely chopped cilantro and onions mixed together (a favorite offering on Chiapanecan tables), shredded chicken breast, avocado slices, media crema (a very thick sweet cream), a liquid sour cream by-product of homemade cheese-making, slices of pickled jalapeno, Tabasco sauce, diced fresh tomatoes, salsas red and green, and soft warm corn tortillas to sop up all the good broth.

Makes me think I ought to make a pot real soon!

tonyburton

Jan 10, 2005, 11:20 AM

Post #6 of 10 (1696 views)

Shortcut

<Finally, an easy opinion poll from jjr!>

sopa de aguacate!

Gayla

Jan 10, 2005, 1:09 PM

Post #7 of 10 (1684 views)

Shortcut

Wow, only one choice???

Sopa de Lentejas
Sopa de Guias (vines, squash vines)
Sopa de Cilantro

Is Siete Mares a soup or a stew?

sfmacaws

Jan 10, 2005, 1:09 PM

Post #8 of 10 (1684 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] Soup, Glorious Soup

That's tough, there are some wonderful soups in Mexico. I'd have to pick the Mayan Sopa de Limon. mmmmmm...basically chicken broth with pieces, lime, sometimes avocado and with crispy tortilla strips on top and pieces of lime floating.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

julietl

Jan 10, 2005, 2:50 PM

Post #9 of 10 (1675 views)

Shortcut

Mine are:

Sopa de Azteca - I especially love those crispy smoky chile strips
Frijol - if it's the pureed black bean kind with crema swirled in, with cilantro garnish
Pozole

I think one of the best thing about Mexican soups is that you are encouraged to play with your food! Like getting to add in all the condiments that go along with the Azteca & Pozole soups, for example.

Caarina12

Jan 11, 2005, 9:06 AM

Post #10 of 10 (1645 views)

Shortcut

Re: [julietm] Soup, Glorious Soup

This is a very hard one!!! There are so many different soups that I love!
My favorites would have to be Pozole Verde (Diana Kennedy's version is tops) and Sopa de tortilla. However, I do have a new one that I love, Sopa de habas con nopales. YUM!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4