Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

jaybear

Jan 2, 2005, 1:45 PM

Post #1 of 20 (2399 views)

Shortcut

Questions about clothes, weather and hope

Can't Post | Private Reply
As noted in an earlier posting, my husband and I will be visiting for the first time Jan. 12-26. Predicted temps this week in Guad are 77-82F days, 48-68F nites. Should we expect Ajijic to be cooler? What do people wear in Ajijic? Would a sports jacket be desirable? We would like to blend in as much as is possible for a couple of very blond elderly gringos from New England.

Despite our reading of the Ajijic/Lake Chapala posts, which tell us there are turds floating in the lake, people are attending seminars about suicide, and the most exciting event recently is the opening of the new supermarket, WE HAVE GREAT HOPE OF LOVING THE PLACE;)

We enjoy hearing what is happening in your lives but feel a bit like eavesdroppers. Hope to meet some of you when we are there. Will there be any get-togethers while we are there that we could attend?
"Don't believe everything you think" - Maxine

JayBear

Delia

Jan 3, 2005, 9:16 AM

Post #2 of 20 (2291 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jaybear]: Winter Temps. & What to Wear

For winter at Lakeside plan on overnight low temperatures in the upper 40’s and daytime highs in the low 70’s. As long as the sun is out - as it almost always is this time of the year - the outdoors will warm up comfortably daily.

When out and about in daytime or in evening usually one keeps warm enough. A potential bigger issue with the weather is keeping warm in your accommodation if you don’t have any supplemental heat or electric blanket. Then it becomes necessary to “bundle up” for bed and/or hope they provide extra blankets!

Attire at Lakeside is generally very informal among Mexicans and foreigners alike. There are a very few private and public social events for expatriates each season requiring any formal attire. If you see Mexicans all dressed up, they are probably middle or upper class Tapatios (Guadalajarans) out for a fancy party or wedding reception. If you see 2+ men together in jackets and ties, they are almost surely out of town salesmen or missionaries. “Dress up” for many Lakeside Mexicans is often basic but neat: jeans and tucked in T-shirt for mass is standard. Resident expatriates usually dress in whatever they are most comfortable with - often casual slacks or a dress, neat shirt, and comfortable walking shoes. Higher heels of any sort are unadvisable for safety reasons due to the cobbled streets, uneven sidewalks, and all kinds of other unfamiliar pedestrian hazards. Sport coats are not the norm although some wear them to church or out to evening dinner in the winter. If you are out in the evening in the winter a sweater, jacket, shawl etc. is in order due to the chill especially if you are thin blooded. Residents tend to dress warmer than tourists or snowbirds from colder climates. Shorts on men and women, foreigner and Mexican, are a common sight almost any month of the year. Mexicans, in this area at least, are not as conservative as they used to be regarding shorts.

Stereotypical Canadian general tourist dress code for males usually involves a Tilley hat (or a much less expensive generic substitute), neat shirt tucked into natty shorts with a belt, no jacket, and socks (black or white) stretched high with decent sandals. Attached to waist, of either male or female, are often fanny packs and water bottle holsters.

Jean

Jan 3, 2005, 10:45 AM

Post #3 of 20 (2276 views)

Shortcut

Re: [JohnO] : Winter Temps. & What to Wear

Not sure why you had to throw this in:

Stereotypical Canadian general tourist dress code for males usually involves a Tilley hat (or a much less expensive generic substitute), neat shirt tucked into natty shorts with a belt, no jacket, and socks (black or white) stretched high with decent sandals. Attached to waist, of either male or female, are often fanny packs and water bottle holsters.

Gary and I never owned a tilley hat or even a generic substitute. He never wore shorts, I did. I've seen Americans wearing shorts with white and black socks, so it's not a "Canadian" thing. Never have either of us wore fanny packs or water bottle.

Can you explain why you had to take a shot at Canadians?
Retirement Communities
http://www.retirecommunities.com

Bubba

Jan 3, 2005, 1:15 PM

Post #4 of 20 (2255 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jean] : Winter Temps. & What to Wear

What the hell is a tilley hat?

Jean

Jan 3, 2005, 1:20 PM

Post #5 of 20 (2252 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] : Winter Temps. & What to Wear

According to the USA site for Tilley Hats it looks like this:

JohnO seems to want to stir the pot between Canadians and Americans with his tacky remarks. Little does he know that that pot sailed some time ago.
Retirement Communities

hoping 2

Jan 3, 2005, 1:57 PM

Post #6 of 20 (2247 views)

Shortcut

Do people wear white, summer colors, linen and searsucker? The things you usually can't wear NOB between Labor Day and Memorial Day. Don't want to stand out like a sore thumb! Thanks for any help.

Georgia

Jan 3, 2005, 2:12 PM

Post #7 of 20 (2241 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hoping 2] : Winter Temps. & What to Wear

Wear whatever you want as long as it covers the usual and customarily covered body parts. You won't look Mexican unless you are one and they've come to expect a different fashion sense - or lack of it, depending on who you're talking to - among northern neighbors. If you have a yearning to wear seesucker and linen in January just for the thrill of it - then do it!

Ceil

Jan 3, 2005, 4:33 PM

Post #8 of 20 (2215 views)

Shortcut

I can't believe you don't know what a tilley hat is. It's very L. L. Bean chic.

Kip

Jan 3, 2005, 5:36 PM

Post #9 of 20 (2202 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ceil] : Winter Temps. & What to Wear

Due to my inability to remember where I laid my purse down, I am guilty of wearing a fanny pack. Not very chic I suppose, but at least I know where my passport is!! and my keys ..and my little knife with all of the thing a ma bobs on it..and my bubbles ...and my sunscreen, .... oh yeah..my cell phone... sometimes a paint brush and a couple of colors crammed in.. I'm pretty sure there must be some money in there some place. Handy things those fanny packs....if I could just find one big enough to stash my guitar in..sigh.

Kip

Kip
kip

Uncle Jack

Jan 4, 2005, 3:55 AM

Post #10 of 20 (2163 views)

Shortcut

Bubba;

A Tilley Hat is really nothing more than an expensive, upscale version of the Viet Nam era "Boonie" hat. I think the first manufacturer to make a fancy one for the civilian market was Columbia. They sold it as an all-purpose fishing hat. For a while, no self-respecting fly fisherman would be seen on the Madison without one.

A pot gut, Tilley hat, sunglasses, shorts, tee shirt, fishing/photo vest (substitutes for fanny pack), black shoes, and calf length white socks seems to be the official "Dork Look" for tourists. I don't believe the ensemble is limited to Canadians. It seems to be the uniform of choice for many folks. I've seen a lot of California, Texas and ALABAMA plated cars with drivers who fit the profile.

uj

jaybear

Jan 4, 2005, 6:33 AM

Post #11 of 20 (2140 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Uncle Jack] : Winter Temps. & What to Wear

As usual, the responses to my questions are most informative. Thank you! I expect we will set new standards for dorkiness. Neither of us has a Tilley, but my husband will most certainly bring a Red Sox cap. As for me, I do not have a fanny pack, but I have dusted off the Bugs Bunny daypack that I last wore at Yosemite and may bring that (and leave it behind!). Be alert for us when you are walking around town. As to the heated bedchambers, I guess we better do our Mexican blanket buying as soon as we arrive!
"Don't believe everything you think" - Maxine

JayBear

Uncle Jack

Jan 4, 2005, 6:45 AM

Post #12 of 20 (2139 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jaybear] : Winter Temps. & What to Wear

Just my opinion, but I think an authentic Bugs Bunny daypack would be cool enough to elevate you to the level of Haute D'orque.

Jean

Jan 4, 2005, 3:38 PM

Post #13 of 20 (2079 views)

Shortcut

I agree Jack. It could also mean they might make it to the "B" list straight off.
Retirement Communities

gbatrucks

Jan 6, 2005, 9:07 AM

Post #14 of 20 (1982 views)

Shortcut

Having had the need to wear a “Boonies” hat in ‘67/68 & a Tilley hat in more recent years, I can vouch for the fact that there are differences. First and foremost, the Tilley is designed for boating. A unique tie-down system (actually a long shoe string) secures the hat under your chin and the bump at the base of your skull. Once secured, it is almost impossible to blow off. Its heavy canvas construction is guaranteed forever against wearing out. The two eyelets (see photo above) are designed to hold eyeglasses. And a small pouch inside the top of the hat is perfect for stashing cash, a credit card or two, etc. To pack, just roll it up. It really is a wonderful hat for windy weather or time spent on the water. As with everything, there are a lot of cheap nock-offs. Spend to $30-50 & get the real deal with the lifetime guarantee.
"The trouble with life is there's no background music."

Bubba

Jan 6, 2005, 7:24 PM

Post #15 of 20 (1917 views)

Shortcut

Jean:

I know you were trying to be funny but, pray tell, what is the "B" list? Is there an "A" and a "B" list at lakeside? I would have thought that anyone moving down here and aspiring to the local "A" or "B" list, if said lists exist, would probably only qualify for the "C" list at best in Sheboygan. I was under the naive misconception that most who moved down here were fleeing from the small town pettiness that gives rise to self indulgent social "lists". After all, most of us are retirees here and beyond the need to get the "right" job mentor or seek admission to the "right" schools. What purpose would such a contrivance as a social list serve except in the eyes of the self-appointed list makers and their sycophants?

I'll be the first to admit that I not only never owned a Tilley hat but had no idea what that was and another poster has informed me that I am, thus, uninformed and unworthy of inclusion on LL Bean's "B" mailing list. Because of our rather benign climate, what one wears is of no consequence in that regard. Therefore, one must dress for "list" success. I'm ordering a Tilley hat immediately from LL Bean and getting rid of my coveralls and brogans. The new Bubba will soon be hanging out at Dona's Donuts with the in crowd dressed appropriately and prepared to say stuff like; " How about them Redskins!". Then, I'll learn how to make Lipton Sour Cream French Onion Dip to go with Ruffles Potato Chips and, and....!

I'll start manana.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Jan 6, 2005, 7:29 PM)

Jerry@Ajijic

Jan 6, 2005, 7:52 PM

Post #16 of 20 (1909 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gbatrucks] : Winter Temps. & What to Wear

Actually the little pouch is not for storing cards, etc. There is supposed to be a foam piece in it to provide additional insulation and absorb sweat.

juan david

Jan 7, 2005, 8:32 AM

Post #17 of 20 (1862 views)

Shortcut

At this point in our lives we should all have got over this whole social ranking schtik. You gotta be like Popeye...I yam what I yam!...and not give much of a rat's butt where people you don't really know think of your status. But hopefully we will have our own personal lists such as:
A list: those really close friends who will show up for us in time of need with no questions asked
B list: those friends whose company we enjoy and we're still getting to know them
C list: those we have met but don't really know them that well
No list: people we have met and either don't particularly like or who we find boring

We've been here 2 years and have met a lot of A,B and C people and very few of the other. As we no longer have to manage careers we have the new found luxury of just being our plain old selves all the time. Fantastico!
" let sleeping dogs lie"

sandykayak

Jan 7, 2005, 2:31 PM

Post #18 of 20 (1826 views)

Shortcut

shucks, bubba, you've got to order your hat from TA DA!! Tilley's of course.

and I can attest that if yer in a canoe that swamps your tilley hat can float away....I never had the guts to see if I qualified for their guarantee.

and while you're at the tilley site...their travel underwear (used to be $15) is great...cotton feel but they dry very quickly so you can wash as you go.
Sandy Kramer
Miami, Fla & El Parque

Morris340

Jan 18, 2005, 2:38 PM

Post #19 of 20 (1651 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jaybear] Questions about clothes, weather and hope

As regards Tilley hats, the foam thing in the top is a floatation device. Eliminates the need for a life jacket. Very useful if you fall into water and cant or dont want to swim.

gbatrucks

Jan 19, 2005, 12:09 PM

Post #20 of 20 (1565 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jerry@Ajijic] : Winter Temps. & What to Wear

Actually, from their web site: SECRET POCKET:
Inside the crown is a good-sized pocket sealed with Velcro. In it, carry your Brag Tags, I.D., toilet paper(!), license, hotel key, $10 bill (in your case a 20), plus a quarter for an emergency phone call.
"The trouble with life is there's no background music."

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4