Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

solarhaven

Dec 22, 2004, 3:59 PM

Post #1 of 7 (2223 views)

Shortcut

$300 deposit required to bring a vehicle over the border?

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have heard that a $300 deposit (charged to your credit card) is required to bring a vehicle into Mexico over the border from the U.S. Is this presently being enforced?

Is this money actually debited to your card or only charged to you if you do not bring the vehicle back into the U.S. when your FMT expires?

Marlene

Dec 22, 2004, 4:44 PM

Post #2 of 7 (2214 views)

Shortcut

Re: [solarhaven] $300 deposit required to bring a vehicle over the border?

Pesos not dollars.

Rolly

Dec 22, 2004, 5:13 PM

Post #3 of 7 (2209 views)

Shortcut

There is a charge of about US$20 to get a permit to drive your car in Mexico. They want you to make that payment with a credit or charge card.

You are allowed to make a cash payment, but if you pay cash you will have to post a refundable cash bond. The amount of the cash bond depends on the age of your car. New cars are US$400, older cars are less. Use you card and avoid that cash mess.

Your card will only be charged the registration fee, nothing more. There is a wildly believed rumor that your card acts as a bond that you will take the car out of Mexico when your permit expires and that if you don't your card will take a bit hit. THIS IS NOT TRUE!

Rolly Pirate

Bubba

Dec 23, 2004, 7:27 AM

Post #4 of 7 (2165 views)

Shortcut

Rolly is correct. However, if you import the car and do not have a credit card in the importer's name (forget joint accounts with a card in the spouse's name) at the time of importation, you will need about $400 USD - not pesos - on your person to post the bond. You then must export the car within six months or you forfeit the bond.

El Queso Grande

Jan 11, 2005, 6:20 PM

Post #5 of 7 (2053 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] $300 deposit required to bring a vehicle over the border?

Bubba, I wanna make sure I'm hearing you right. My partner has a Visa card that she got and has really nothing to do with me. When she got it she also got an additional card for me and it has my name on the card but it's still her account not mine. My name is imprinted on the card. Not hers and mine, just my name. Do you mean that they wouldn't take this card with my name on it because it is her account. How would they know? Do they check with Visa at the time you are getting the permit. I don't remember them ever calling anyone before.
Thanks in advance.

"I'm not so think as you drunk I am."

E-mail me at xalapaboy@aol.com

Bubba

Jan 11, 2005, 7:22 PM

Post #6 of 7 (2044 views)

Shortcut

Re: [El Queso Grande] $300 deposit required to bring a vehicle over the border?

Unless I am mistaken, your name on the card is all that matters.

El Queso Grande

Jan 11, 2005, 7:30 PM

Post #7 of 7 (2043 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] $300 deposit required to bring a vehicle over the border?

Thanks Sr. Bubba. I guess what threw me is when you said that you could not use a joint account with a spouses name on it. As always, your wisdom is greatly appreciated. Save a cold one for me.

"I'm not so think as you drunk I am."

E-mail me at xalapaboy@aol.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4