Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Gulf of Mexico

RosanaHart

Dec 21, 2004, 11:10 AM

Post #1 of 1 (1467 views)

Shortcut

La Pesca, our first night's stop going south from Matamoros/Brownsville

Can't Post | Private Reply
A few days ago (I'm already losing track of time!) we entered Mexico in our small RV at the southern tip of Texas. Two years ago we had gone to Ciudad Victoria on our first day, so this time we decided to check out a coastal fishing village called La Pesca. It has at least a couple of places for RVers to stay and quite a few hotels of varying price ranges. We went south on 101 (nice, once you get used to the way Mexican drivers use the shoulder as half a lane), then 180 (narrow, no shoulders, lots of traffic), turning eastward at Soto La Marina for a pretty and more relaxed drive of maybe 45 minutes or an hour out to La Pesca. The trip was something over 5 hours from the border.

We went through the rather nondescript town of La Pesca all the way out to the lighthouse and beach on the gulf, but it was a bit cold and windy so we just turned around and found ourselves a place to stay at the Hotel Villa del Mar. It, like all the nicer places, is on the north side of a wide river near the mouth. We liked it so well we stayed over a day. See photos at my blog at mexico-with-heart.com

I would recommend this as a nice relaxing spot. We didn't go back to the beach but I've heard that it is nice once you walk north a ways past the heavily used part. We ate in our RV but noticed that La Pesca had some nice restaurants. The villas along the river indicate that this is a vacation spot for a lot of well to do Mexican families. Quite a few for sale too!

Rosana

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4