Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

Dec 11, 2004, 3:18 PM

Post #1 of 15 (2745 views)

Shortcut

Chapala expat found with throat slashed

Can't Post | Private Reply
What happened here:

Story by : Jeanne Chaussee
U.S. citizen Charles L. Hickey was found dead with his throat slit the morning of December 9 in his apartment in Chapala Haciendas, a Chapala subdivision. Other residents in the apartment complex in which he lived reported an overwhelming stench coming from Hickey's apartment to the Chapala police. Due to the deteriorated condition of the body, police believe that he had been dead about five days.
Hickey had been a regular visitor to American Legion Post Seven in Chapala, where he was an associate member, since he arrived at Lakeside last spring. He listed his stateside address as Calumet Park, Illinois.
Whether his death was a murder or a suicide is currently being determined from an autopsy by forensic police in Ocotlan.

Jean

Dec 11, 2004, 5:31 PM

Post #2 of 15 (2702 views)

Shortcut

Re: [2006] Chapala expat found with throat slashed

Seems like a strange way to commit suicide...can't believe they are even considering that as a theory.
Retirement Communities
http://www.retirecommunities.com

Dec 11, 2004, 5:34 PM

Post #3 of 15 (2699 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jean] Chapala expat found with throat slashed

Thank You! My thought exactly! .... I'm sure Bubba will enlighten us...

esperanza

Dec 11, 2004, 6:34 PM

Post #4 of 15 (2685 views)

Shortcut

Not as strange as you might think. An adolescent client of an associate killed herself many years ago by cutting her throat with an electric carving knife. It still gives me nightmares, and it does happen.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Bubba

Dec 12, 2004, 1:29 PM

Post #5 of 15 (2599 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Chapala expat found with throat slashed

Well, committing suicide by slashing one's on throat seems a bit macabre but, since that guy in Germany committed suicide by offering himself up to a cannibal with whom he shared his own sauteed testicles at a pre-death feast, I find it hard to disbelieve anything. Talk about mountain oysters.

Uncle Jack

Dec 12, 2004, 2:17 PM

Post #6 of 15 (2586 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Chapala expat found with throat slashed

My all time favorite was the "witness" in Texas who shot himself in the back with a bolt action rifle.....5 times.

uj

EEK

Dec 12, 2004, 2:44 PM

Post #7 of 15 (2575 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Uncle Jack] Chapala expat found with throat slashed

UJ: In the old days a ganster in Chicago was found quite dead by machine gun bullest across his chest. Yes, it was ruled sucide. I once took a EMT course in Alabama and we had to draw urine samples from a stiff. The poor fellow was playing pool when an axe hit him in the back of the head -- splitting the skull in half. My fellow student (a female) wanted to know if it was suicide. Okay, so now you see my morbid side.
On the serious side, is this a true story and what the dope? EEK!

king1522

Dec 12, 2004, 5:36 PM

Post #8 of 15 (2540 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Uncle Jack] Chapala expat found with throat slashed

UJ, I'm sure Billy Sol could clue you in on that one.

Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The more paper that
is rolled off, the faster it goes.

Jean

Dec 17, 2004, 4:17 PM

Post #9 of 15 (2373 views)

Shortcut

And now it's called a heart attack...case closed apparently....go figure

======================================================

According to the Ministerio Publico of the Municipality of Chapala, after an autopsy by the forensic laboratory in Ocotlan, the cause of death of expatriate Charles L. Hickey, who died in his Chapala Haciendas apartment some days before December 9, when his body was found, was a myocardial infarction (an explosion of the heart) .

Neighbors who found the body and acquaintances on the scene minutes after the body was found, said the apartment was covered with blood that trailed from the bathroom to the bedroom and that the corpse’s throat had been slashed. However, there will be no further official investigation into matter.

Hickey, who lived in Lakeside since spring, was a frequent visitor at American Legion Post Seven where he played cards and chess. Those who knew him said he was reserved and appeared to have few, if any, close friends. His remains were cremated, claimed by a brother, and returned to the United States.
Retirement Communities

Texwheel

Dec 17, 2004, 8:54 PM

Post #10 of 15 (2324 views)

Shortcut

Those of us in the US who regularly watch CSI in it's various versions could do better than that! Lwady Miss Claudy! Sounds fishy to me.
Tom Williams
Georgetown, Texas
Texwheel@aol.com

Jean

Dec 18, 2004, 6:52 AM

Post #11 of 15 (2292 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Texwheel] Chapala expat found with throat slashed

That's what we need....a Lakeside CSI...maybe we could even syndicate it and sell it as a comedy.

The whole thing is really bizarre...but then so is Lakeside and CSI :)
Retirement Communities

Georgia

Dec 18, 2004, 3:13 PM

Post #12 of 15 (2226 views)

Shortcut

There are possibilities other than a "conspiracy" to cover up a murder. Guy has a heart attack in bathroom, falls,hits head, bleeds like a stuck pig, 'cause that's what head wounds do, crawls or whatever to bedroom to call for help, collapses, bleeds from mouth. Dies. Messy. Neighbors/friends find dead body, see blood, panic, and do not get too close. Rumor mill churns into action. Situation normal, etc.

sandykayak

Dec 30, 2004, 12:23 PM

Post #13 of 15 (2028 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] Chapala expat found with throat slashed

and how do you fit the "slashed throat" in that "hits head" theory?
Sandy Kramer
Miami, Fla & El Parque

Georgia

Dec 30, 2004, 1:07 PM

Post #14 of 15 (2024 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sandykayak] Chapala expat found with throat slashed

When an individual has a heart attack and falls over - especially backward - s/he will often bleed from the mouth and/or nose. It accumulates around the chin and neck and pools behind the head. (Sorry to be graphic, but you asked) I suspect most laymen don't inspect a dead body terribly closely - especially when it's been around a few days. Anyway, it can give the appearance of foul play. The task of determining which is left to medical personnel, not laymen who don't actually inspect the body for the source of the blood.

EEK

Dec 30, 2004, 6:10 PM

Post #15 of 15 (1985 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] Chapala expat found with throat slashed

All this gory stuff is given on a need to know basis... and I don't need to know this. Yuck...eeK!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4