Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > North Pacific Region

kirkswig

Dec 10, 2004, 11:27 AM

Post #1 of 11 (10150 views)

Shortcut

Need to find a rotisserie

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have been to Walmart, Sorianna, MEGA, Gigante, Koppel and La Fabrica(sp?) -- both locations (Gran Plaza and downtown Centro.) No rotisseries.

I'm just looking for something I can set on my kitchen counter, plug it in, and cook chicken. I guess it doesn't have to be a rotisserie exactly, but it should be some kind of roasting apparatus. NOB they would always have infomercials about these things; they look great. I do not have an oven.

This is urgently needed as I have to go back on the Atkin's diet. Tortillas add up. And it doesn't help that I like Pacifico, or that it's only 35 pesos per six-pack.

So... is there some secret kitchen appliance depot in town that I am not aware of? If so, please do share. Thanks.

To boldly go where no wig has gone before.

esperanza

Dec 10, 2004, 12:12 PM

Post #2 of 11 (10146 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kirkswig] Need to find a rotisserie

The secret to rotisserie chicken in Mexico is to buy your chicken already roasted from your neighborhood vendor. The most delicious roast chickens sell for 55 pesos, including roast new potatoes and cole slaw, plus salsa.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

kirkswig

Dec 10, 2004, 9:40 PM

Post #3 of 11 (10127 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Need to find a rotisserie

I don't want to do that, for a variety of reasons: cost (chicken at the mercado is cheaper), resourcefulness (I want to cook most if not all of my own meals), and utility (I want to get away from the MSG-laden "caldo de pollo" sold here and make my own chicken stock for other recipes.)

I also have to believe mine would taste better, if for no other reason than that it's hot off the, um, rotisserie. If I go downtown, we're looking at a hefty pause between dislodging the bird from their rotisserie and consumption in my apartment afterwards.

Was at Sam's Club today. They don't have it either.

Sigh. I guess I'm going to have to haul one back on my next visa trip.

Esteban

Dec 11, 2004, 6:52 AM

Post #4 of 11 (10120 views)

Shortcut

One block north of Zaragosa off Rosales on the mountain side of the street, is a place that sells large spicey chickens roasted over carbon. It is the BEST place in Mazatlan for chicken. In fact, most of the time you have to take a "numerito" because of the crowd. While you are waiting for your rotisserie, check it out. They open around 11:00 AM and are closed by about 3:00PM. You have to ask for a numerito or you'll never get served. Also, say to the guy who packages the chickens "What's up man?". It'll help you get your food quicker.

Marlene / Moderator

Dec 11, 2004, 9:33 AM

Post #5 of 11 (10113 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] Need to find a rotisserie

Do you recall what you pay for a chicken there? I am still trying to picture taking a number to get served in turn - (how very organized) - usually it is the pushiest customer that gets served first in so many establishments (a whole other story).

Esteban

Dec 11, 2004, 10:18 AM

Post #6 of 11 (10109 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] Need to find a rotisserie

I think the going rate now is 60 pesos and when I'm there I tell the guys they look like small turkeys. They are the biggest chickens I've seen in town. It's not that's it's so organized it's just that there are so many people frequenting the place, they had to go the numerito method. Besides, it's not just gas cooked chicken, it's spiced and cooked over carbon. They also sell carne asada, beans and some other items. Across the street, you'll usually see the owner sitting or standing next to his new white pickup. In the back of the truck are coolers containing fresh cheese. Check it out sometime and tell me what you think.

kirkswig

Dec 11, 2004, 10:22 AM

Post #7 of 11 (10108 views)

Shortcut

Thanks, I will check this out.

Marlene / Moderator

Dec 11, 2004, 3:36 PM

Post #8 of 11 (10091 views)

Shortcut

We stumbled across your elusive rotisserie in our shopping escapades this morning. It is a beauty too, and I think probably just what you are looking for. It is a 3 in one machine with a rotisserie, a broiler and a toaster oven. Nice size to fit on a counter top.

Go to the Coppel store on Aquiles Serdan downtown (not to be confused with the one on TT Azueta) and as you enter turn left immediately and you will walk right into the display shelf. Let us know how this chicken saga turns out!

kirkswig

Dec 13, 2004, 3:26 PM

Post #9 of 11 (10060 views)

Shortcut

Was there today. Very, very good chicken. Thanks again for the tip.

Somebody finds a vacant patch of land up against a stone wall and sets up a barbeque pit. That's it. That's all. And it's a huge success.

kirkswig

Dec 13, 2004, 3:30 PM

Post #10 of 11 (10058 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] Need to find a rotisserie

Thanks for the info, went over today to check it out. Would you believe I was at that store just the other day looking for a rotisserie, and somehow missed it? I don't know, maybe I mistook it for a toaster oven.

I checked out Esteban's chicken place today, and it is really good, so I'm going to hold off on the rotisserie for awhile. I'm also concerned about how I would clean this thing; the instructions didn't seem to have a lot of detail in that area. One of the nice surprises I've found in cooking Mexican food is how easy it is to clean up afterwards. I want that trend to continue.

Marlene / Moderator

Dec 13, 2004, 3:44 PM

Post #11 of 11 (10055 views)

Shortcut

And, when you finish with the Atkins and if you still like chicken...
Mazatlan has a brand new KFC open up by Soriana, Burger King and McDonalds, on the way to Walmart! Hehehe....we have it all now. (Santana used to order KFC from Culican whenever someone was going up, if you can believe it, so this really thrills him.)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4