Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

charley

Nov 29, 2004, 7:21 AM

Post #1 of 7 (1326 views)

Shortcut

internet service provider

Can't Post | Private Reply
Morning,
Can you "vets" tell me which of the internet service providers works best in mexico? aol, yahoo,earthlink,etc...bringing my lap top with me to mexico for a six month visit or so....want to be sure i have the right isp. thx much!
charley

lbc

Nov 29, 2004, 9:02 AM

Post #2 of 7 (1311 views)

Shortcut

Re: [charley] internet service provider

i have had best expriences with yahoo, especiall yahoo mail plus fro 19.99 a year. Excellent, no spam and alwasys working!!!

johanson / Moderator

Nov 29, 2004, 10:33 AM

Post #3 of 7 (1298 views)

Shortcut

None of the above mentioned Internet Service Providers provide internet connections in Mexico. Are you asking which offers the best web based email package? If so, there are many opinions about which is best. I have always used Yahoo.

Wait one, I understand AOL does offer internet connectivity in some large cities. Could anyone make any other suggestions?

Rolly

Nov 29, 2004, 12:09 PM

Post #4 of 7 (1287 views)

Shortcut

AOL offers ISP service in a few cities. The only nation-wide ISP service is provided by the phone company, Telmex. They call it Prodigy. There are many local ISPs scattered around the country.

Telmex offers a prepaid plan for 6-months which might be just right for your stay if you have a place with a phone line already installed. If not, you might be better off to use one of the gazillon cybercafes. They are everywhere! And they are cheap.

Rolly Pirate

charley

Nov 29, 2004, 12:21 PM

Post #5 of 7 (1285 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] internet service provider

Thx Rolly,
Seems like the internet cafes might be best for paying bills, etc. through the internet. what about e-mail service back to the states? what is the best service to use for that purpose?
charley

Rolly

Nov 29, 2004, 1:06 PM

Post #6 of 7 (1276 views)

Shortcut

Since you are a member of MexConnect, you have an e-mail account here. I use mine for friends and family. I also have a Hotmail.com account that I use for 'public' or commercial purposes.

I used the cafes for my first year down here until I got a phone line. Easy and cheap.

Rolly Pirate

Texwheel

Nov 29, 2004, 4:34 PM

Post #7 of 7 (1261 views)

Shortcut

When I was down for a week last June I used the Internet Cafe on the Plaza in Ajijic to access my aol account. The owner there accessed aol in the US for me going through England so I could communicate in English. Worked fine and the cost is very nominal.
e
Tom Williams
Georgetown, Texas
Texwheel@aol.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4