Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

viejogatomalo

Nov 25, 2004, 7:31 AM

Post #1 of 24 (2459 views)

Shortcut

Where to eat

Can't Post | Private Reply
When arriving in Chapala next week to my house, I will have not have any cooking 'stuff' which will require outside eating. Any suggestions regarding eateries would be most appreciated.
Richard

Bubba

Nov 25, 2004, 9:21 AM

Post #2 of 24 (2423 views)

Shortcut

Re: [oldbadcat] Where to eat

I suggest Joe's Greek Restaurant in the West Village. Pedro's can be fun if inconsistent. Dona Lola is cheap and you can't beat their chiles rellenos. The hot dogs at Oxxo are kind of fun. The environment at Nueva Posada is very pleasant if you eat in the garden and the food is OK. Try La Bodega for a fun experience. Get your own kitchen up and running ASAP 'cause this ain't no restaurant town.

Uncle Jack

Nov 25, 2004, 9:54 AM

Post #3 of 24 (2421 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Where to eat

As BooBoo says, "....this ain't no restaurant town." Most are mediocre to good and that's about it. After you're here a while you will discover several small out of the way places that offer decent food and very hospitable and pleasant atmospheres at reasonable prices. In addition to BooBoo's list, I like Tio Domingo, Manix, Armando's, and Mom's for just basic comfort food. There are a couple more in Chapala, but that's another post.

Guadalajara is the second largest city in Mexico and filled with really good restaurants. About once every two months, Patty and I take a long week-end and check into one of the old historic hotels in El Centro Historico and go on a food binge.

uj

Howard Botz

Nov 25, 2004, 10:09 AM

Post #4 of 24 (2419 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Uncle Jack] Where to eat

There are lots of good places to eat although everyone seems to have a different opinion on what is good. There is a new restaurant guide that just came out that I think you will find very helpful. It is called RESTAURANT GUIDE FOR THE CHAPALA RIVIERA. It is on sale in the LCS for $55 pesos. For just under $5 U.S. I think you will find it very informative and helpful.
Oh, I should mention the author.....John Keeling

Howard

Bubba

Nov 25, 2004, 10:47 AM

Post #5 of 24 (2409 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Howard Botz] Where to eat

Any restaurant guide published by the LCS must be understood in its context. Virtuallly no-one belonging to that Old farts Circle Jerk have ever encountered a decent restaurant and wouldn't know a good restaurant form a MRE. If you go to a restaurant they recommend, always order the Pablum a la Mode.

johanson

Nov 25, 2004, 12:07 PM

Post #6 of 24 (2393 views)

Shortcut

Now just a minute guys and girls, what about Burger King? Have you no taste?

Uncle Jack

Nov 25, 2004, 12:41 PM

Post #7 of 24 (2386 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Where to eat

How do we know?.........it ain't open yet!

bournemouth

Nov 25, 2004, 12:54 PM

Post #8 of 24 (2385 views)

Shortcut

Bubba - knock it off. This is a day to be thankful and, I hope, pleasant. We all know you dislike the Lake Chapala Society but leave other people to decide for themselves. Not all the world is a "foody" and I sometimes think that if you are an example of a "foody" then it's a good job we're not all in that category.

Jerry@Ajijic

Nov 25, 2004, 1:06 PM

Post #9 of 24 (2381 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Where to eat

I agree with bournermouth. I think everybody knows you do not like LCS, and MBE. The thing is that you seem to be always running LCS down for some unknown reason. There are over 2,500, probably as may as 3,500 by the end of the year, people who are members of LCS. It is possible that you are smarter than all of these people but I think that the thing is that you have different likes and dislikes from what seems to be the majority of lakeside people. If you have some concrete reasons please share them with us and who knows someone might agree with you.

Bubba

Nov 25, 2004, 1:41 PM

Post #10 of 24 (2377 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jerry@Ajijic] Where to eat

Bournemouth & Jerry:

I feel put upon.

I did not attack the jerks at the LCS. You have hurt me deeply. All I said was that they lacked taste or knowledge. Who would deny that?

I cannot and will not forgive the LCS for pretending to be what they are not. Their pretentious ramblings are unworthy and they are a burden on the local expat society rather than a support group. They are the worst kind of organization. They create the image that they support the expats who float in here and think they have a place to go for worthwhile advice. What these expats get is useless information from wigged out boneheads who have no idea what they are talking about.

These people are really a clique of idiots sucking up the limited resources of expats who have no idea where their money is being allocated.

If Neil James had any idea how her money was being squandered by these self-serving creeps, she would come back alive and Freddy Kruger these bums.

Otherwise, I have no opinion.

Jerry@Ajijic

Nov 25, 2004, 6:54 PM

Post #11 of 24 (2333 views)

Shortcut

Bubba, the LCS does not claim to be a group of experts. They can and do offer, for about 40.00 USDa year for a family, as far as I know the only lakeside “post life’ planning program, and a library with over 25,000 books, videos, talking books from the LOC, a hearing aid checking, repairing and sales person, a optometrist who checks eyes, fixes and sells glasses, blood pressure checking, diabetic testing, bone density checking, various other lectures and seminars, a service that carries your mail to the NOB for mailing, a central place where many of the lakeside organizations can sell tickets, inclusion in a directory where you can list your phone number, address and Email, U.S. Consular monthly visits, Spanish lessons, meeting of many groups such as The Computer Club, Ham Radio Club, Poetry Group, Great Books Group, etc. LCS also supports youth education programs. They support The Ed. Wilkes Center which is in a separate building. It offers Mexicans children and adults classes in various subjects including English, social activities for Mexicans and a large library of books in Spanish primarily for children books but with a good number of adult books. They also support a library and education branch in Jocotepec. Like I said they are not experts nor are they perfect but they are a great number of people who volunteer their time to try to make this a better place.

Bubba

Nov 25, 2004, 8:53 PM

Post #12 of 24 (2320 views)

Shortcut

OK, Jerry:

I think you are probably a nice guy and I Hear you but don't buy what you say.

Until hell freezes over I will never forgive the LCS for selling me that phony insurance plan and then failing to take responsibility for their ineptitude. What a group of imbeciles! Their incompetence cost me at least $60,000 Pesos so far. This is a group of seriously flawed hangers on attracted to cheap capital to to be shunned by anyone with even a small measure of common sense. Neil James would be embarrassed by the organization her money has funded.

If geezers want to get together and form mindless cliques and yak endlessly about nothing of consequence, may I suggest meeting in the plaza every morning for a gabfest. At least it will be on their dime!

viejogatomalo

Nov 26, 2004, 7:23 AM

Post #13 of 24 (2287 views)

Shortcut

Gee whiz! All I wanted was a good place to eat.

Jerry@Ajijic

Nov 26, 2004, 8:20 AM

Post #14 of 24 (2277 views)

Shortcut

Bubba, have you never heard of "buyer beware". LCS does not sell insurance. They just make contact with the insurance company easy. I would think your gripe would be with the insurance company not LCS. In any event the insurance that you could buy at LCS (not the present plans) PAID ABOUT
75,000.00 USD FOR OUR HOSPITAL COSTS but when the plan fizzled out we had enough sense to not renew.

BrentB

Nov 26, 2004, 4:37 PM

Post #15 of 24 (2223 views)

Shortcut

The taco stand, we call it Compadre's, on the south side of Madero, near Degollado, is good, and inexpensive.
I've never goten sick in 1o years, often the only thing open when I get home from work late.

Bubba

Nov 26, 2004, 5:03 PM

Post #16 of 24 (2218 views)

Shortcut

Jerry:

That health insurance plan was presented as the Lake Chapala Society Group Unconditional Major Medical Health Insurance Plan provided through New York Life and the clown selling it absolutely assured the new-in-town Bubba (circa 2001) that the plan was guaranteed for life. The then management of the LCS asserted that what New York life did was inexcusable but two years after Bubba and others were screwed to the wall by these folks, they are still selling health insurance policies on the premise at the LCS which, thereby sponsors them and endorses them. How can you possibly excuse this behavior?

The management of the LCS is grossly incompetent. Challenge me on this if you wish. I welcome a discussion on ways the expat community can better allocate its resources.

It's time we moved this to a new thread. I do not know how to do that but am ready to take on this subject.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Nov 26, 2004, 5:06 PM)

Jerry@Ajijic

Nov 26, 2004, 6:18 PM

Post #17 of 24 (2204 views)

Shortcut

Bubba I agree that "The management of the LCS is grossly incompetent" at lease sometimes but I once worked for a bank that also had incompetent management so that is nothing new to me.\\

Anyway how about we move on to forecasting the value of the peso.

Texwheel

Nov 26, 2004, 10:35 PM

Post #18 of 24 (2173 views)

Shortcut

I'd enjoy reading anything you more experinced expats have to say about health insurance SOB. And it does need its own thread...how did it get under "Where to eat," anyway. LOL.
Tom Williams
Georgetown, Texas
Texwheel@aol.com

Bubba

Nov 27, 2004, 8:46 AM

Post #19 of 24 (2141 views)

Shortcut

Jerry:

Texwheel has a point about a "Where to Eat" thread going astray so this will be my last word.

I do want to agree with you however. I worked for small community banks, major regional and international banks, two Federal regulatory agencies (The Federal Home Loan Bank Board and Comptroller of the Currency) and was a private consultant assessing loan quality for many years and every institution I worked or consulted for was incompetently run. So I promise to stop criticizing the LCS which must be a very difficult organization to manage primarily with volunteers.

'Nuff said.

Uncle Jack

Nov 27, 2004, 8:55 AM

Post #20 of 24 (2137 views)

Shortcut

"......So I promise to stop criticizing the LCS which must be a very difficult organization to manage primarily with volunteers."

BooBoo, you can bet your buns that line will be saved and come back to haunt you!

uj

Bubba

Nov 27, 2004, 10:58 AM

Post #21 of 24 (2120 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Uncle Jack] Where to eat

Geeze! I try to be nice and look what I get! Apparently, unrelenting candor is more profitable for me.

Therefore, I modify my previous comment:

I am sure it is difficult to manage (the LCS) but that's no excuse for the managerially challenged. Find some other pursuit.

By the way, UJ, when I referred to underwear cooking, I was not referring to The Castro as you stated earlier. I was referring to the yuppie confines of Berkeley's Gourmet Ghetto. We clearly have different perspectives.

Uncle Jack

Nov 27, 2004, 12:14 PM

Post #22 of 24 (2104 views)

Shortcut

I seldom ate in Berkeley. The smell of tear gas lingered too long.

uj

Jerry@Ajijic

Nov 27, 2004, 8:09 PM

Post #23 of 24 (2035 views)

Shortcut

Re: [BrentB] Where to eat

We like Mr. Fish , across from La Flora de Cordova. Very good and inexpensive shrimp tacos.

ecollard

Nov 28, 2004, 6:42 AM

Post #24 of 24 (2009 views)

Shortcut

We just moved down to Chapala for the winter and are living near the center of town. Had the same situation you're facing, so we checked out a number of places to eat until we got our kitchen in order.
Just heard about a new restaurant near Chapala that sounds wonderful. It's called Antica, and it's on the south side of the carretera, about a block or so west of the Maskaras Clinic. It's not well marked; yesterday, there was a hand-written black and white sign out near the road during the day, with lights on the building itself once it got dark.
The restaurant is owned by the ex-wife of the owner of the Argentinian restaurant on the road to Guadalajara. It would be great for people to patronize it so that it can stay in business! We hope to get there today or tomorrow to try it out.
Also, the Superior Restaurant and Paris Cafe have come in handy for us. They stay open later than many and serve simple dishes that are quite good. They're right on Maderos, about a block south of the main Chapala plaza.
For a special treat, try sharing a "molcajita" at the restaurant just north of Cozumel's (it's in the strip of seafood restaurants that runs north and south and is located east of the pier and the vendors. Delicious. Better than other molcajitas that we've tried.
And there's Tom's bar and restaurant, located just off of Maderos, opposite the main plaza. You can eat upstairs and get a filet mignon-steak or shrimp (or other dishes) for a very reasonable price. I'm not sure the exact address; just ask around.
Of course, there are the small restaurants in and around the covered market on the plaza. The restaurant straight back from the front door, and to the left, is good. And I've heard good things about "Jose's", located just south of the market on the plaza extension. They are supposed to have very good ribs.
You can also buy food "a llevar" (to go) from various vendors, including the people who sell barbecued ribs/pulled pork, those who sell roasted chickens, taco vendors, etc. We have tried a variety of these with no ill effects--though, as a precaution, we do not take ice with our drinks just in case it's not made with purified water.
So, happy eating in Chapala!
Eileen

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4