Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

floyd

Nov 20, 2004, 10:22 AM

Post #1 of 5 (2594 views)

Shortcut

driving manzanillo to nogales,sonora

Can't Post | Private Reply
We plan on driving from Manzanillo to Nogales, Sonora in late march next year and have a few questions. Your answer to any or all of them will be greatly appreciated as we do not know the road conditions or motel availability.

1. We plan on going from Manzanillo to Guadalajara to Mazatlan which is
about 500 miles if expedia.com is correct. Are the roads good enough
that we can make the drive in 10 or 11 hours? We use toll roads when
available.

2. If 1 above makes sense, are there decent motels readily available on
route 15D. around Mazatlan.

3. The second day we plan on making it to Hermosillo but if that is not possible
we would stop in Guaymas. What can you tell us about motels in both of
these cities?

4 Is Customs easy to find in Nogales and what has been the experience
in returning your car permits as far as length of time, hassles and do any
of the officials speak english?

We are familiar with driving in Mexico as we have been driving from Laredo to Manzanillo for the last 5 years and can make it to Lagos De Moreno (about 575
mile) in one day - excellent roads all the way. I say this only for your consideration when answering the above questions. Thanks for your help.

Floyd

Esteban

Nov 20, 2004, 1:20 PM

Post #2 of 5 (2578 views)

Shortcut

Re: [floyd] driving manzanillo to nogales,sonora

1. I know people that have driven from Mazatlan to Guadalajara in less than 7 hours. If you don't want to stop in Mazatlan, you might think about spending the night south of Mazatlan, in Acaponeta. There is a nice hotel on the plazuela there.

2. It's a stop and go ride on the highway through Mazatlan. There are some no-tel motels on this part of Maz. As to quality, I don't have a clue. From the outside, on the north end of town, the Xstasis motel looks fine. If you want to get off the highway yet stay within about 10 minutes of it, threre is a nice Motel on Calle Aleman. I can't remember the name of the place but it's about 6 or so blocks from the beach at Olas Altas.

3. It's 730 miles from Mazatlan to Nogales. I've made the trip in 12 hours but I was going FAST. From information I received today, the number of inspection points has grown so they may slow you down a bit. In my opinion, it's better to stop in Ciudad Obregon which will make the next day an easy ride. There are MANY motels right on the highway in Obregon.

4. The place where you turn in your car permit is located about 22 K. outside of Nogales. The sign marking the office cannot be missed. Unless there is a caravan of RV'ers, it shouldn't take more than about 5 minutes. KEEP your paperwork for proof that you turned in the permit. There are two ways to cross the border, the bypass and through downtown. The bypass is the easiest but both ways out of the country lead to US Customs.

patricio_lintz

Nov 24, 2004, 1:51 PM

Post #3 of 5 (2510 views)

Shortcut

Re: [floyd] driving manzanillo to nogales,sonora

We have driven from Phoenix to Guadalajara and back three and one half times. this rout shares many of the same roads.

In Mazatlan, we usually stop at a beachfront hotel on the older area of the Malecon. They are all about $300 to $400 pesos per night. Some are airconditioned at this price. We have stayed at the Vista del Mar and the Las Palmas. probably ** motels. Acceptable, not fancy.

Then we usually drive to Guaymas and stay at the Santa Rita motel ($350 pesos) located on Highway 15 on the Northern part of Guaymas. If you take the toll bypass, you will need to head back into town on Highway 15, about five miles. It's decent and beats the $70 - $85 USD fees of hotels on the beach at San Carlos. Drive out their in the mornining for breakfast at Rosie's cafe.

It's a short drive from Guaymas to Tucson or to Phoenix.

No problem turning in car permits at the caseta on the right side of the 21 KM checkpoint. Sometimes you may wait for five minutes.

It's best to cross north through one of the two passenger car exits, not the truck crossing which will be lined up for miles with semiremolques awaiting inspection.

(This post was edited by patricio_lintz on Nov 24, 2004, 1:52 PM)

bournemouth

Nov 24, 2004, 6:22 PM

Post #4 of 5 (2491 views)

Shortcut

Re: [patricio_lintz] driving manzanillo to nogales,sonora

Patricio: The semis may be lined up - vegetable season is in full swing - but the authorities usually leave a lane open for cars. We always cross using the toll road to the Mariposa Road crossing and I can't remember the last time that we were blocked by trucks. We cross there on an average of once a month. The old periferico, passing by the tianguis and jail, is so crowded that the toll of 35 pesos for the new road is worth every centavo - even though it has now developed potholes.

floyd

Nov 27, 2004, 6:16 PM

Post #5 of 5 (2455 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] driving manzanillo to nogales,sonora

Thanks for all your answers. I posted the request before we left for a short trip
last week and was eager to see if there were any responses. We just got home and I checked for your responses before we unpacked - lots of goof information.
Again - Thank you.

Floyd

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4