Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

johnv

Nov 23, 2004, 9:11 PM

Post #1 of 4 (2293 views)

Shortcut

DeskTop Computer

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am thinking of taking my desktop computer out of Mexico, and then returning with it. How do I avoid a Mexican Customs duty, and/or hassle when I return? Thankyou very much.

Brian

Nov 24, 2004, 4:37 AM

Post #2 of 4 (2275 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johnv] DeskTop Computer

On your way out of Mexico, you need to stop at the Aduana and show them the receipt you received when you initially paid the tax for bringing it in. They will compare the serial number on the receipt with that on the computer and, if they match, will issue a new document you will use upon your return. It's a hassle but that's the way it's done.

saludos
Brian

johnv

Nov 24, 2004, 11:09 AM

Post #3 of 4 (2227 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brian] DeskTop Computer

The thing is that I drove the computer into the country a couple of years ago in a 3 ton enclosed utility trailer packed with stuff with no Menaje de Casa and paid no duties and have no receipts as I told Aduana I was "just moving". I somehow beleive that I may not pull that off again. Can I simply show the computer on exitting, getting a receipt that it came out of Mexico, and then show the same receipt when re-entring with the computer??

(or maybe this is the excuse I've been looking for to just buy a laptop in the US for my use while I'm there, and then just bring it back with me)

Rolly

Nov 24, 2004, 11:24 AM

Post #4 of 4 (2222 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johnv] DeskTop Computer

A new laptop sounds like a swell idea to me.

I needed to take two printers back to the USA for repairs. I took them to the Aduana office at the airport, got a paper from them without any discussion of a menaje or how they came to be in Mexico, etc. I was told I would need to pay a tax on the repair cost when I brought the printers back. When I returned with the repaired printers, nobody said a word -- no paper check, no tax, nothing.

My guess is you can get a return pass without a menaje reference.

Rolly Pirate

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4