Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

Bubba

Nov 23, 2004, 5:33 PM

Post #1 of 12 (1202 views)

Shortcut

A Suggestion Regarding Arbitrary Censorship

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have a lot of respect for Tony Burton but I wish to make a suggestion.

Tony took it upon himself to lock the thread initiated by Talosian regarding the panel discussion of suicide to be held on the grounds of the LCS. I spent considerable time responding to Talosian's comments regarding my earlier comments only to find my remarks deleted by Tony's unannounced unilateral action.

In the future, it would be constructive for moderators to forewarn of decisions to lock threads so that imbeciles such as I do not carry on under the incorrect notion that, no matter how infantile our arguments, they will be aired within reason.

For all Tony knows, Bubba may have come up with the definitive answer as to the morality of the proposition that one may kill oneself as an end unto itself. Actually, I had found the answer to this proposition sought by mankind for centuries. Unfortunately, I have been drinking scotch whisky and have forgotten what I said.

In the future, would it not be respectful to announce the locking of a thread about 30 minutes ahead of the act so that profound remarks are not lost to history for all time to come? Damn! I know I had the solution on the tip of my tongue.

Bubba

Nov 23, 2004, 6:45 PM

Post #2 of 12 (1180 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] A Suggestion Regarding Arbitrary Censorship

Excuse me, Tony:

Did I catch you sleeping?

tonyburton

Nov 23, 2004, 7:14 PM

Post #3 of 12 (1174 views)

Shortcut

Bubba,
I did not delete anything, but you make a good point about the possibility of a reply still being composed ending up with nowhere to go. I will bear in mind your suggestion of putting a time limit for replies prior to locking threads. It may not be possible (or in some cases desirable), however, for this to become the norm.
Tony

Bubba

Nov 24, 2004, 7:30 AM

Post #4 of 12 (1121 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] A Suggestion Regarding Arbitrary Censorship

Thanks, Tony. I'm sure what I said was far less profound than I thought. Maybe I should attend the self de-actualization seminar at the LCS although a poster on another forum raises the point that a seminar even indirectly related to the act of suicide may be illegal in Mexico. I don't know that to be the case but his remarks are food for thought.

He's too cheap to post here. You are lucky.

Uncle Jack

Nov 24, 2004, 7:34 AM

Post #5 of 12 (1121 views)

Shortcut

He's not too cheap, Bubba, they sent his money back.

uj

Uncle Donnie

Nov 24, 2004, 12:05 PM

Post #6 of 12 (1080 views)

Shortcut

Speaking from experience...

Can't Post |
as one who has at one time or another been censored, deleted, or outright ignored by most, if not all of the moderators, as well as the Big Dog of this operation, I figure that I pay my money to participate and they provide the money for space to post, and their much larger investment trumps mine.

I don't particularly like it when my astonishingly clever posts get shut down when I'm lambasting blowhard world-famous Canadian journalists or attempting to 'splain simple English to draft evaders, but hey, I don't expect that I've bought the right to have every brilliant word I write published on a privately owned open-to-the-paying-public forum if those words disrupt the peace or upset the more delicate among us.

As hard as it is for some of us to believe, we might even run the risk of getting a little tiresome at times. Not me of course, but some of you others.

And as for the Dr. Kevorkian Fan Club seminar, since when are any of us taking any of those LCS programs seriously anyway?

This one's for Paydrow---maybe we could petition the powers that be to not only allow him back on to add his colorful, off-topic, and sometimes oddly funny Millet Musings to the mix, but to grant him a free honorary membership even though the Loon is appreciating against the Buck.

I hope all of you have a lovely Thanksgiving tomorrow, regardless of where you are or what you post.

Onward TO the fog!

Shameless self-promotion:
http://www.headformexico.com

talosian

Nov 24, 2004, 12:56 PM

Post #7 of 12 (1070 views)

Shortcut

This applies to Canada and Mexico (Censorship)

"Censorship reflects a society’s lack of confidence in itself. It is the hallmark of an authoritarian regime. Long ago those who wrote (America's) First Amendment charted a different course. They believed a society can be truly strong only when it is truly free. In the realm of expression they put their faith, for better or for worse, in the enlightened choice of the people, free from the interference of a policeman’s intrusive thumb or a judge’s heavy hand. So it is that the (American) constitution protects coarse expression as well as refined, and vulgarity no less than elegance. A book worthless to me may convey something of value to my neighbor. In the free society to which our constitution has committed us, it is for each to choose for himself."

Mr. Justice Potter Stewart, Ginzburg v. United States, 383 U.S. 463 (1966) (dissenting)

"When all logical explanations have failed, we must look to the illogical for the answer.

Bubba

Nov 24, 2004, 1:19 PM

Post #8 of 12 (1059 views)

Shortcut

Re: [talosian] This applies to Canada and Mexico (Censorship)

Talosian:

Are you attacking Moderator Tony? Perhaps you are attacking GW Bush whose administration is infamous for censorship. I don't know but I will say this, people who commit suicide don't give a damn about censorship after that. Enjoy your death with dignity seminar.

Rev. Jim Jones

(This post was edited by Bubba on Nov 24, 2004, 3:36 PM)

jennifer rose

Nov 24, 2004, 1:43 PM

Post #9 of 12 (1054 views)

Shortcut

Re: [talosian] This applies to Canada and Mexico (Censorship)

Can't Post |
Get over it, folks. And if you've got time on your hands, spend it learning why the First Amendment and censorship arguments have no application here. The last time I looked, MexicoConnect was not the recipient of any federal funding.

tonyburton

Nov 24, 2004, 2:03 PM

Post #10 of 12 (1049 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] This applies to Canada and Mexico (Censorship)

Esteemed Bubba, It's nice to know you're watching out for me (I think), but stop trying to stir the pot! Spock's post provided a quote about censorship. Since nothing was deleted, nothing was censored, so why should I or anyone else take umbrage? And, before your fingers rush to the keyboard, that's purely a rhetorical question. Now, can we keep this board firmly on track, please, with discussion related to Mexico, Ajijic and Chapala? (That's also a rhetorical question, no reply expected.) Tony

(This post was edited by tonyburton on Nov 24, 2004, 2:04 PM)

Bubba

Nov 24, 2004, 3:34 PM

Post #11 of 12 (1034 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] This applies to Canada and Mexico (Censorship)

Tony:

I have been properly put in my place. Spock may not know it but I enjoy his posts and am not unsympathetic with his views. Stirring the pot is an important function upon these forums and I am happy to do so often and free of charge. All I ask is that one understand that taking my side may cause me to revert to the other side since there is no truth on this sorry planet and I am certain that widely held beliefs are to be mistrusted.

tonyburton

Nov 24, 2004, 4:01 PM

Post #12 of 12 (1029 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] This applies to Canada and Mexico (Censorship)

Touché! (We agree on something!)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4