Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

not_ally

Nov 21, 2004, 10:42 PM

Post #1 of 21 (2356 views)

Shortcut

Powell's Books/Shipping costs

Can't Post | Private Reply
I want to order a bunch of books from Powells Books. For the uninitiated, a fantastic bookstore in Oregon which has a phenomenal website which ships orders over $50.00 to Mexico for free.

There is a note at the bottom of the shipping costs chart that made me think though - it reminded that while there would be no shipping costs Powells did not cover relevant import costs. Has anyone dealt with this issue, ie; being charged import/duty charges on Internet delivery orders?
----------------------------
"The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly I discover there is no reason." John Cage

Jerry@Ajijic

Nov 22, 2004, 6:13 AM

Post #2 of 21 (2321 views)

Shortcut

Re: [not_ally] Powell's Books/Shipping costs

If you are talking about import duties into Mexico. There are none. Mexico does not charge duty on books. I know they have not changed this as my latest order from Powells just came in last week and as usual no duty charges. One other tip is that we do not always have $ 50.00 in book we want but we can always look ask around and find other people who want books. When we add this to our order we go over the %0. easy.

esperanza

Nov 22, 2004, 6:31 AM

Post #3 of 21 (2319 views)

Shortcut

Powell's rules. Their used book section is tops. You can buy a lot of gently used books for $50. I have been recommending Powell's here on MexConnect for at least three years. And Jerry's right: there is no duty on books coming into Mexico.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

not_ally

Nov 22, 2004, 8:06 AM

Post #4 of 21 (2298 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Powell's Books/Shipping costs

Powell's is amazing - my only problem is that once I'm on their website I can't extract myself for hours, what with the staff recommendations, author interviews, recently arrived used, etc, etc.

Well, I posted the same question (re: duty on internet book orders) on the San Miguel de Allende coollist. It appears from the answers here and there that (a) there is no duty due on such shipments but (b) it occasionally gets charged anyway. So I'm going to go ahead and order and take my chances.
"The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly I discover there is no reason." John Cage

Bubba

Nov 22, 2004, 10:25 AM

Post #5 of 21 (2281 views)

Shortcut

Powell's is a fun book store. In the 90s, I used to work ocassionally in Downtown Portland and found browsing the store to be a lot of fun

When we last purchased books, we found the prices at Powell's to be much higher than Amazon but the Amazon shipping cost was prohibitive. We actually ordered the books we wanted from Sandi's in Guadalajara since the savings at Powell's did not appear to be that great even with free shipping. I think we may have to try Powell's the next time we order.

cristalhombre

Nov 22, 2004, 5:12 PM

Post #6 of 21 (2241 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Powell's Books/Shipping costs

Howdy to all SOB.

Funny you bring up Powell's. I spent most of the morning there, not the website but the store. Great spot to hang out while in Portland. Nice coffee bar downstairs. Next door at Henry's Pub, try the steak sandwich for lunch. I did and it was great....!!! Henry's is located in the former Henry Weinhard's Brewery (sorry to tell you this Bubba but it was bought by Pabst Brewing and closed several years ago) but as you know this town is loaded with craft brewers on every other corner.

One area that Powells in known for locally is the tremendous collection of "technical books". If anyone of you bored expats wanted to build a 3 stage sewer treatment plant for growing Ajijic (el lago would be thankful!!!....hey it's Thanksgiving so I had to add that) Powell's could send you the "how to manual".

"NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST...."

julian3345

Nov 22, 2004, 5:38 PM

Post #7 of 21 (2231 views)

Shortcut

Powell's is awesome in person or online...just rec'd a recent order...took 4 weeks, but no extra charges. I also order from my favorite used bookstore in Piedmont, CA Spectator Books. No razzle-dazzle website, however they are sophisticated buyers and serve a high-falutin' community of readers, but also have plenty of eye candy available including audio books and $5 videos. Ask Tim or Karen for something you want and they'll do their best..great prices and inventory. spectatorbooks@pacbell.com

Now, please tell me about Sandy's? Gracias Joan

not_ally

Nov 22, 2004, 5:43 PM

Post #8 of 21 (2231 views)

Shortcut

Re: [julian3345] Powell's Books/Shipping costs

Bubba, have you checked the "used books" section of the Powell's website? They usually have hardback copies of recent titles in decent shape for what you'd pay for paperback copies of the same book anywhere else - at least if the shipping turns out to be free.

Bubba

Nov 23, 2004, 8:55 AM

Post #9 of 21 (2180 views)

Shortcut

Thanks, John. That's a good idea.

Having been a denizen of San Francisco's North Beach for many years, I have mixed feelings about Downtown Portland and some of its highly touted restaurants. However, a trip to Portland would not be complete without a visit to Powell's - a business that deserves its excellent reputation. The rest of Portland outside of its rather quaint downtown area, you can have. I'm one of those Californians who didn't need convincing that I was not welcome in Oregon. Hell, San Francisco was too cold and cloudy for me. Bubba headed for the mountains of Western Mexico (the much maligned and widely misunderstood Lake Chapala area) as soon as his bank account said go.

The foggy and rainy west coast of the United States is history as far as I'm concerned.

Jerseycoa

Dec 3, 2004, 10:57 AM

Post #10 of 21 (2058 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Powell's Books/Shipping costs

Different case, but I had three "M" Bags of used books delivered to Ajijic post office. Customs had added a fee amounting to $60US for the three bags together. The post office couldn't release them until I paid the duty. Is ordering used books from Powell's or Amazon in some way different, according to the rules, than bringing in your own used books? I've been wondering ever since.
Doris

Rolly

Dec 3, 2004, 11:24 AM

Post #11 of 21 (2054 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jerseycoa] Powell's Books/Shipping costs

Doris, you just got caught in a bureaucratic screw up by the customs office. Some clerk made a mistake that you had to pay for. There is not supposed to be a duty on books. Perhaps you can make a protest to the nearest aduana office.

Rolly Pirate

gpk

Dec 3, 2004, 11:29 AM

Post #12 of 21 (2051 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Powell's Books/Shipping costs

Once I shipped books and was charged duty because I also included a pair of bookends in the same box.

tonyburton

Dec 3, 2004, 11:30 AM

Post #13 of 21 (2051 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jerseycoa] Powell's Books/Shipping costs

There is a very common misunderstanding about postal fees and customs duties.
It is true that there is no customs duty on books.
However, the post office (in Mexico and in Canada, and probably many other countries; I'm not sure about USA) has the right to inspect any incoming package to see if it contains anything dutiable. Even if no duty is due, the post office can (and does) charge a "postal inspection fee", which the intended recipient has to pay in order to obtain the package. This fee is NOT a customs duty. If an incoming package does contain dutiable items, then both the duty, and the customs inspection fee have to be paid before the package will be delivered.
As a result, even a package of books from Powells can sometimes be charged the "postal inspection fee" if that package is singled out for inspection.

Jerseycoa

Dec 3, 2004, 12:17 PM

Post #14 of 21 (2040 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] Powell's Books/Shipping costs

No, it was not a postal inspection fee. The boxes inside the bags had been opened and taped by Customs with their own tape and a letter from Customs demanding the duty accompanied the bags to the post office. I think as Rolly says I just hit it unlucky. But it apparently does happen, because it did to me. Again, I was shipping my own books to myself, not buying from Powell's, although I wouldn't have thought it would make a difference.
Doris

kirkswig

Dec 3, 2004, 1:40 PM

Post #15 of 21 (2027 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] Powell's Books/Shipping costs

That explains what just happened to me. Not two minutes ago I received a telephone I ordered NOB and had delivered via Fedex Int'l. It's a $10US phone. I had to pay 125 pesos to accept the delivery.

What's funny is that this was only one part of the shipment, the other part, a $60US Vonage adapter, came through early last week and I didn't have to pay a dime, er, centavo.

(the Vonage adapter was in a very small box, the phone a fairly large box; perhaps that explains it.)

To boldly go where no wig has gone before.

Jerry@Ajijic

Dec 3, 2004, 6:32 PM

Post #16 of 21 (1979 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kirkswig] Powell's Books/Shipping costs

We have ordered books from Powells for us and for the library for 7 years and never had to pay anything.

Gary Anderson

Dec 3, 2004, 9:01 PM

Post #17 of 21 (1957 views)

Shortcut

I, too, am a native of the Portland area and have whiled away many an hour in Powell's. It is one of the truly amazing stores of any kind anywhere, rather like a university library where everything is for sale. The place is huge; they give you a map at the door entitled, "How to get lost in Powell's City of Books." I have one of those maps on my coffee table in my house in Ajijic. I use it as a bookmark; the map, I mean. Anyway, I second those who have suggested that buying used books from Powell's gigantic stock is a cost effective way to get books into Mexico, and their used books are invariably in nearly new condition. Their website is world class, they have just about anything one could think of in house, and if they don't have it, they will get it for you, rare books, first editions, whatever. A top of the line operation in all respects.

palvarado

Dec 4, 2004, 7:21 AM

Post #18 of 21 (1927 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jerry@Ajijic] Powell's Books/Shipping costs

Does the no duty on book apply to audio books too?

julian3345

Dec 21, 2004, 12:33 PM

Post #19 of 21 (1797 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Powell's Books/Shipping costs

Merry Christmas all! I just received a shipment of books from Powell's which had an Aduana demand, in triplicate, for more than 200 pesos! The manifest clearly states LIBROS. I convinced the Correos supervisor not to send the pkg back and that I could provide her with the language of the legal code which allows duty-free importation of books. She's willing to contact the customs people if I can give her this information. She is aware that many of us living here in Jerez receive books regularly in the Correos and that we pay no duty on these shipments or on M Bags from the US.

Does anyone have the website address for the MX customs codes? Seems to me I've seen it somewhere in these postings. Thanks, Joan

Rolly

Dec 21, 2004, 1:29 PM

Post #20 of 21 (1791 views)

Shortcut

Re: [julian3345] Powell's Books/Shipping costs

Here is the aduana's wedsite: http://www.aduanas.sat.gob.mx/webadunet/body.htm

Rolly Pirate

tntex

Dec 22, 2004, 6:59 AM

Post #21 of 21 (1741 views)

Shortcut

The post about Powell's sounded so good that I read
all of them in hopes that their internet address would be listed. So I did a simple search on Google and there it was. Thanks for the discussion.
tntex

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4