Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

not_ally

Nov 20, 2004, 4:18 PM

Post #1 of 9 (1383 views)

Shortcut

Airport Customs and Weird Stuff in Bags

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hah, thought that would get y'alls attention!

Seriously, I'm heading back to Mexico from NOB in a couple of days and will be bringing a bunch of stuff with me to furnish a house currently being built. Such stuff includes (but is not limited to) down blankets and duvet covers, digital video recorder, and several faucets for bathrooms and kitchen sinks. I'm not too worried about the bedclothes, but will I have to declare the dvr, faucetts and the like (ie, the weird stuff)? If I don't and I get busted at customs, will I have to pay an additional fine?
Thanks you guys.
----------------------------
"The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly I discover there is no reason." John Cage

Rolly

Nov 20, 2004, 4:56 PM

Post #2 of 9 (1368 views)

Shortcut

Re: [not_ally] Airport Customs and Weird Stuff in Bags

John, you have a US$300 allowance for non-personal items, if your wife is traveling with you, there's another $300. If the value of your non-personal items exceeds the allowance, you should declare the excess. Bring sales slips.

The penalty for failing to declare can be as high as a fine equal to 3 times the value of the item plus confisation of the item. Much more likely is simply having to pay the duty, if they even care. I have brought lots of excess stuff and have never had to pay a duty.

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by Rolly on Nov 20, 2004, 4:58 PM)

patricio_lintz

Nov 24, 2004, 12:46 PM

Post #3 of 9 (1248 views)

Shortcut

Suggestion:

Take whatever you can out of original boxes and declare it as used. Keep needed assembly directions, etc.This is common practice for those crossing the border southward.

You will see many abandoned packages in the Wal-mart or Target shopping carts in U.S. border cities. people at the Nogales crossing are carring all their purchases over in black plastic garbage bags.

jennifer rose

Nov 24, 2004, 1:39 PM

Post #4 of 9 (1238 views)

Shortcut

Re: [patricio_lintz] Airport Customs and Weird Stuff in Bags

Can't Post |
Simply declaring something as "used" does not reduce its value to nothing -- whether it's a blanket, a rug, a box of detergent or a nuclear reactor. The customs folks may be busy, but stupid they aren't. And they've seen more ploys than this webboard could ever generate. Sure, lots of folks pass through with loot far beyond their franquicia, but sooner or later, everyone will pay the piper. Play it straight, and prepare a manifest of what you're bringing in, showing values.

And if you're driving, your duty-free allotment is less than if by air.

patricio_lintz

Nov 24, 2004, 5:31 PM

Post #5 of 9 (1213 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Airport Customs and Weird Stuff in Bags

Just remember: "Free advice is what you pay for it."

Who ever said not to declare some value? Just declare a used value- about half of new.

Marlene

Nov 24, 2004, 8:19 PM

Post #6 of 9 (1185 views)

Shortcut

Re: [patricio_lintz] Airport Customs and Weird Stuff in Bags

I don't know Patricio...I am with Jennifer on this one. I would rather err on the side of honesty. Customs Officers are highly trained "sniffers" when it comes to knowing the difference between new and used. They know every trick possible and when it is being played on them. Why on earth take the chance?

I lived on a border city in Canada where our big savings came from getting gasoline and shopping "across the line" and the story was that the garbage bins next to Target and the Giant Savings Mall (whatever it was called) were being watched for Canadians doing just that....chucking away boxes from new purchases and stuffing said purchases into suitcases, pretending to have owned them for years.

People were getting caught and having vehicles confiscated because in Canada, for instance, the Customs folks have more power than the police personnel. If you lie to the Boys in Blue at the Border it may not be pretty. Definitely could ruin your day if you get caught.

(This post was edited by Marlene on Nov 24, 2004, 8:21 PM)

abq

Nov 25, 2004, 5:59 AM

Post #7 of 9 (1160 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] Airport Customs and Weird Stuff in Bags

If I buy someyjing in the US, take it out of the box and don't have a receipt, then it's true value is much less than new. Inless I bought at Costco. They take everything back!

Georgia

Nov 25, 2004, 8:19 AM

Post #8 of 9 (1137 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] Airport Customs and Weird Stuff in Bags

Actually, when we recently crossed at the Colombia Bridge carrying some new stuff - which we declared - and some used stuff - which we also declared - they merrily reduced the value of the used stuff by quite a bit - said we overstated the value of the used stuff! Then we got the $100 allowance taken off - and ended up just paying duty on the new stuff. Honesty pays with the aduana folks.

Esteban

Nov 25, 2004, 12:05 PM

Post #9 of 9 (1111 views)

Shortcut

It's my personal opinion, that if you can't afford the duty, then it's not worth bringing it down. Don't let material things control your life. It's sort of like credit. I don't like it. If I can't afford it with cash then I don't buy it.....there are exceptions but that's the general idea.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4