Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Southern Mexico

RFT

Sep 29, 2002, 9:42 AM

Post #1 of 3 (4468 views)

Shortcut

Playa o Cancun

Can't Post |
I'm taking my wife and 3 teenage daughters (15,18,17) to the Yucatan area this winter on vacation. I think I'd prefer Playa del Carmen (I'm fluent in Spanish, have traveled to other parts of Mex. countless times, lived in Gudalajara for a year, studied the ancient civilizations, etc. so Playa seems to fit me better). The girls want to know what the night life would be like in Playa del Carmen. . . are there clubs for dancing, etc. Or, should I be outvoted and take them to Cancun instead??

Christine

Sep 30, 2002, 2:56 PM

Post #2 of 3 (4450 views)

Shortcut

Playa o Cancun

Can't Post |
Playa isn't the sleepy village some make it out to be. There's late night music and dancing all up and down 5th ave and beyond...that's why I never stay on that street (thump thump at 2 in the morning- no thanks!) Lot's of Europeans visit Playa - it feels more international. I think that accounts for the better food as well. More stuff to do down that coast too. Cancun resorts are just too big and plastic, IMHO. Whichever place you decide to stay, they are close enough that you can visit the other. And they both have that beautiful water and cool white sand.

Darlene

Oct 16, 2002, 11:00 AM

Post #3 of 3 (4454 views)

Shortcut

Playa o Cancun

Can't Post |
Playa is always busy at night, and I would NEVER let my teenage daughter out alone. Not that I think they would be mugged or killed, but there is very little regulation of alcohol or drugs and there are many "high" boys, or young men from many different countries out at night and they have very little respect for young women. There are constant "hey baby" 's yelled while walking down the street with young girls. Unless I am totally out of touch with what the rest of the world is like I found it both annoying and a little frightening as a parent. Getting to spend sometime with a young foreign girl is quite a coup. If you leave the girls out of the equation, Playa is quite safe for adults and we never worry about it.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4