Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

Bill Berning

Nov 30, 1919, 12:00 AM

Post #1 of 8 (3475 views)

Shortcut

Spanish classes

Can't Post |
Can anyone help me to locate Spanish class instruction in the Lake Chapala area. I would be most grateful. Thanks - Bill

Dona

Post #2 of 8 (3471 views)

Shortcut

Spanish classes

Can't Post |
As was stated there are many other private Spanish instructors in the area. After you get here, ask around and you will get a lot of different names than you will get on the forum. Interview, or sit in on a class before you make a commitment as they all have different styles. I have heard good and bad things about Beatriz, Hilda and Sebastian. My husband teaches Spanish, but I take the classes at the LCS from Amelia as I prefer a larger group than private lessons. The main thing is your determination and desire to learn the language regardless of how difficult.

Wanda

Post #3 of 8 (3470 views)

Shortcut

Spanish classes

Can't Post |
Check out the classes offered at the American Legion in Chapala (114 Morelos).

RB

Post #4 of 8 (3469 views)

Shortcut

Re American Legion classes

Can't Post |
The Mexican instructor (Amelia I think is her name) is very nice, but do be aware that the classes she teaches both in Chapala and at LCS are too large to get much conversation practice.

Dale

Post #5 of 8 (3472 views)

Shortcut

Wanda, American Legion

Can't Post |
Wanda, how is the American Legion in Chapala? About how many members? I have referred a few vets over to there. I was going to e-mail the 1st or 2nd vice but my e-mail isn't set up to accept outlook express. Anyhow, a few people on here have expressed interest in a singles group/ club and I thought of Post 7. These things are money makers and sometimes you find some veterans in the group to sign up. We've sponsored groups like that in different VFW Posts which I've been a member. So if you remember, tell the 2nd vice about the desires. I'm still in the States right now (or I would do the leg work at the Legion) but am planning on moving to Mexico as soon as I get some VA lose ends tied up. When I get down there, I'll probably transfer to Post 7. Hey I may do it before I get there!!!<p>Thanks for helping,
Dale

Wanda

Post #6 of 8 (3469 views)

Shortcut

Wanda, American Legion

Can't Post |
The legion here is like any other organization...ups & downs. I think there are somewhere near 400 members, but many of them are snowbirds & the rest would like to rely on the auxiliary to do most of the work....one of the reasons no one has stepped forward to maintain the web site. They managed to drive out the gal who was doing the job without having a back-up plan in place. Typical.<p>I think your idea of a singles group is super. If you want to send me your e-mail address, I'll see that someone there who is computer literate gets it. Sorry for the delay in answering you, but we were in Patzcuaro where, by the way, we had to build a fire in our room & went through a hail storm so bad that we had to pull off the road.

RB

Post #7 of 8 (3471 views)

Shortcut

Spanish classes

Can't Post |
There are several good Spanish instructors in the area. They each have a different style, and people have different preferences, so sample some classes and take your pick. <p>Sebastian who teaches a short session of free introdutory Spanish at LCS, is very good, and teaches at his home in small classes (around 3 people). <p>Beatriz Silaceo (may have the spelling of her name wrong) is a very experienced teacher. <p>Hilda (don't know her last name!) is also excellent, and formerly taught at the U of Guad program for extranjeros. She will come to your house, and individually tailors your lessons.<p>There are more good teachers in the area, and hopefully others will add to this list.

gil in Chula Vista

Post #8 of 8 (3469 views)

Shortcut

Spanish classes

Can't Post |
My wife and I have been taking lessons in the Ajijic-San Antonio are from Beatriz Siliceo, whose school is Spanish Language School. The Email of the School is spanlang@prodigy.net.mx and phone number is 766-0964 or 766-2276. We highly recommend her.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4