Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

normacrosby

Oct 27, 2004, 9:59 AM

Post #1 of 5 (5791 views)

Shortcut

Tile that has faded

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have old tile throughout my home in Ajijic. I think it used to be red, but it is now pretty much pink. It also has very large grout lines. I would love to have suggestions about any or all of the following:

1. Is it possible to refurbish the tile so that it is red again?

2. If bringing the color back is not really an option, are there suggestions for changing the color of the tile without laying new tile?

3. Does anyone have a clue of what it might cost to have 2,000 feet or so of tile removed and replaced in the lakeside area? Before answering, understand that I am only looking for a ball park estimate. I know prices for tile vary and so on.

Let me say that I would prefer to find a way to refurbish rather than replace the tile. I think it would be nice if I could find a way to keep it intact but looking better.

Thanks for any help you can give. It is truly appreciated. I am not a home improvement genius, so I need all the help I can get.
Norma Crosby

Rolly

Oct 27, 2004, 5:59 PM

Post #2 of 5 (5773 views)

Shortcut

Re: [normacrosby] Tile that has faded

You need to tell us what kind of tile it is. Then we may be able to belp.

Rolly Pirate

Cynthia7

Oct 27, 2004, 7:22 PM

Post #3 of 5 (5767 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Tile that has faded

I have a feeling it is concrete tile. If it is you might put a water based sealer on it and bring up some color. You might try the glomosa and red polvo mixture...Johnsons Glomosa and red powder from the paint store. Concrete acid stain will work. That would be my best bet - Kemiko or like acid stain and a coat of wax. There has been lots of conversation about the acid stain on this forum. Home Depot has one made by Behr.

Esteban

Oct 28, 2004, 1:33 AM

Post #4 of 5 (5748 views)

Shortcut

Re: [normacrosby] Tile that has faded

If the tile is the type that has a surface glaze, then you are probably out of luck. Normally, when you replace the tile, the old tile is roughed up a bit and the new tile is laid over the old. No need, in most cases, to remove the old tile.

normacrosby

Oct 28, 2004, 11:46 AM

Post #5 of 5 (5720 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Tile that has faded

It is a concrete tile as someone guessed. Thanks for the help you have already given. If you think of other ideas, I'll be glad to have other suggestions as well.
Norma Crosby

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4