Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

Georgia

Nov 30, 1919, 12:00 AM

Post #1 of 9 (4568 views)

Shortcut

Bug question

Can't Post |
OK, I give up! What ARE these things? At night, when it rains, through some sort of magic, these bugs get in the house and leave their wings behind. Piles of them. Are these wings optional? A calling card? What are these bugs? Why don't they need their wings? Very strange!

mexicodan

Post #2 of 9 (4564 views)

Shortcut

Gecko's don't Eat Wings!

Can't Post |
Left over from the local gecko's lunch. They don't eat the wings. When it rains and/or blows wings fall onto the interior of your home!<p>Mystery solved!

Skip in Ajijic

Post #3 of 9 (4565 views)

Shortcut

Bug question

Can't Post |
TERMITES>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<

Georgia

Post #4 of 9 (4563 views)

Shortcut

Termites? Yikes!

Can't Post |
So, who ya gonna call? Ghostbusters? Terminix? I'm puzzled about this termite thing: the house is not constructed of wood: not even the doors. They seem to come to where there is light at night. I never see them swarm. They just shed their wings and crawl, apparently. How are they dealt with in non-wooden structures? I don't remember seeing them last year. What to do? <p>Thanks for this info. I wouldn't want to have my kitchen cabinets (the only really wooden part of the house) or my furniture collapse around me.<p>Suggestions?

Skip in Ajijic

Post #5 of 9 (4562 views)

Shortcut

Termites? Yikes!

Can't Post |
Georga, Look and see if there are lines on the wall, brown in color, then run your finger over it, if it is a half circle made of mud. You have them in your house. follow the trail to the floor. then to what they are eating. These tunnels are how they get up from the earth into you wood in your house. There are ads in the newspaper for help........ Good luck.....

Georgia

Post #6 of 9 (4564 views)

Shortcut

No tunnels

Can't Post |
These guys look a lot like termites except for their color ... and the wing thing. They look more like little tiny caterpillars with wings. Can't see any antennae or legs for that matter. No tunnels either. What is odd, is that they respond to the light .. they only accumulate where there is a light left on at night. Some people tell me these aren't termites but something else. I dunno. Guess I'll have 'em fumigated anyway.

RB

Post #7 of 9 (4562 views)

Shortcut

Termites? Yikes!

Can't Post |
Termites here will eat anything made of wood - cabinets and door jambs are particular favorites. If you see their trails, time to apply a pesticide or call in some help.

Alacran

Post #8 of 9 (4562 views)

Shortcut

Termites? Yikes!

Can't Post |
Forget the termites. Look for the scorpions.

Georgia

Post #9 of 9 (4562 views)

Shortcut

alacranes

Can't Post |
We've only ever had one of those and it was stunned into submission by my son. Now we let the chickens "graze" around the house and they LOVE scorpions! Never again will I use the term "dumb cluck."

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4