Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

Hank Duckman

Nov 30, 1919, 12:00 AM

Post #1 of 3 (2626 views)

Shortcut

Chapala woes

Can't Post |
La Voz, the Michoacan newspaper, had an article today about a large fissure that has developed in the ground, running across the city of Chapala. People, homes and buildings are at risk of falling into it.<p>It is being attributed to the absence of moisture from Lake Chapala causing compacting and collapse of the ground, by Luis Valdivia Ornelas, an investigator from the University of Guadalajara.<p>Has anyone seen this phenomenon?<p>Saludos;<p>Hank

Concerned, but call it as I see it

Post #2 of 3 (2608 views)

Shortcut

Chapala woes

Can't Post |
Yes, this problem is causing houses to separate and creating huge finanacial problems for the humbled people of the affected areas. Some houses on Calle Zaragoza in Chapala actually have a several inch height difference in the resulting shift of top soil, thus their floor are now steps. A shame but hey there is no way to certify a class action against the municipalities and states that give rise to this as governmental immunity is the patronage of the poltitically affluent (who after their term in office are suddenly left rich by a dying relative, sure...).

RB

Post #3 of 3 (2609 views)

Shortcut

Chapala woes

Can't Post |
There have been a few homes and buildings in certain areas which have developed serious structural problems due to ground movement. BUT, this has been occurring for several years. The old municipal building on the main corner in Chapala is one example (it has been closed for 3 or 4 years), the post office is another. There has been some ground movement also in a few other places, but mostly it seems to be random, usually not affecting the adjacent buildings. I have not heard of any major earth movements affecting a large area of Chapala, and though I drive through almost every day, have yet to see the "fissure" that is supposedly starting to swallow buildings and people.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4