Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jennifer rose

Oct 22, 2004, 11:44 AM

Post #26 of 39 (873 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Actual electrical bills

Can't Post |
The energy-saving light bulbs now come in a variety of shapes, sizes, colors and designs. And they're even sold at CFE. But there are *&#@(&(#*@ to read or do any close work under. Slowly, slowly and only because my CFE bills have skyrocketed, I've been making an effort to replace ordinary light bulbs in heavily trafficked areas with the energy saving ones, reserving the cheap, old-fashioned bulbs for places like the closets (which don't get much use) and areas where decent lighting is important, like in the office and around the dressing room mirrors.

In response to another post, M.N. refers to Mexican pesos.

(This post was edited by jennifer rose on Oct 22, 2004, 1:19 PM)

esperanza

Oct 22, 2004, 12:11 PM

Post #27 of 39 (868 views)

Shortcut

Re: [toocrazy] Actual electrical bills

Can't Post | Private Reply
I'm sitting here looking at my last electric bill. In the area where I live, there is no longer a government subsidy. There WAS a subsidy at one time; when Vicente Fox took office in 2000, that subsidy was discontinued. Electric bills jumped 40% from one billing period to the next. People--myself included--were horrified. Many people took any measure possible to save on the cost of CFE service, including one woman I know who disconnected and sold her refrigerator. She could no longer afford to operate it.

YMMV.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Esteban

Oct 22, 2004, 12:24 PM

Post #28 of 39 (866 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Actual electrical bills

I am curious as to what your bill names as your tarifa designation. Also, could you post the bill like I did above quoting the various costs per kilowatt hour?

Thanks,
Esteban

Camille

Oct 22, 2004, 1:02 PM

Post #29 of 39 (859 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] Actual electrical bills

I like this "government subsidy" idea, now that I've actually got electricity.... where do I sign up?
Camille

esperanza

Oct 22, 2004, 1:13 PM

Post #30 of 39 (856 views)

Shortcut

OK, here goes:

Básico: 150 @ 0.529 79.35
Intermedio: 100 @ 0.887 88.70
Excedente: 174 @ 1.862 323.98
Suma: 424 492.03
IVA: 73.80
Total: 566.76

Zona Chapala

I don't see anything on the bill that designates the tarifa thing you mentioned, Esteban. Tell me where to look.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by esperanza on Oct 22, 2004, 3:14 PM)

toocrazy

Oct 22, 2004, 1:51 PM

Post #31 of 39 (849 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Actual electrical bills

Would this discontinued subsidy factor apply to all zones in Mexico?

johanson

Oct 22, 2004, 2:02 PM

Post #32 of 39 (847 views)

Shortcut

Re: [toocrazy] Actual electrical bills

Go to the link I gave above and look up your area and your rate. Here it is again.

http://www.cfe.gob.mx/www2/ClientesCFE/otrosgiros/tarifas.htm?seccion=otros&tarifa=% or simply to the home page www.cfe.gob

As I recollect there are about 7 residential rates. Choose one in the middle to get an idea of what you might be charged. Remember to add the 15% IVA (tax)

Think of it this way. The first several hundred KWhours are at close to 5 cents per KWhour and the remainder at about 20 cents per KWhour.

If you don't have a Mexican electric bill and choose not to look at the one shown at the above URL, look at one you have up North. Compare usage and determine how much you would pay down here for the same amount of electricity.

(This post was edited by johanson on Oct 22, 2004, 2:14 PM)

toocrazy

Oct 22, 2004, 2:44 PM

Post #33 of 39 (834 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Actual electrical bills

Thanks Johanson, this will help a great deal.

Esteban

Oct 22, 2004, 2:55 PM

Post #34 of 39 (826 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Camille] Actual electrical bills

There is no signing up to do. I believe the subsidy goes with the tarifa schedule. Our tarifa designation is 1D. The folks across the street have a designation of DAC and don't get the subsidy. Their place is 10,000 sq. ft. with a 17 ton chiller system. We only cool the bedroom with an 8000 BTU in the wall A/C unit.

Ed and Fran

Oct 22, 2004, 6:33 PM

Post #35 of 39 (800 views)

Shortcut

We've managed to get ourselves in the DAC (Alto Consumo) tariff category too, through the use of our a/c's (even though we have nowhere near 17 tons). Having reached that unenviable status, the subsidy is gone. So is the first x kwh at a cheap rate. What we pay now is:

basic charge (no kwh included) = $98 (m.n.)
1st 1000 kwh @ $1.968 (m.n.)/kwh
Over 1000 kwh @ $2.486 (m.n.)/kwh

You guys up on the altiplano have it good! We've probably got at least another month of heavy a/c use to go through.

Regards

E&F

Karin

Oct 22, 2004, 6:54 PM

Post #36 of 39 (794 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ed and Fran] Actual electrical bills

The basic charge of 98 MXP is for two months.
On top of the 1.9868 MXP/kWh comes 16% IVA( value added tax) plus 10% DAP (whatever this is)

Papirex

Oct 22, 2004, 7:48 PM

Post #37 of 39 (788 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Karin] Actual electrical bills

When I paid our first electric bill here in Cuernavaca a few years ago, I asked at the C.F.E. office what the DAP charge was for. I was told it is to pay for street lights. For the last three years we have lived in the area served by Luz Y Fuerza Del Centro, they too have a DAP charge.

We have two electric companies serving Cuernavaca. The southern part of the city is served by C.F.E., the rest of the city is served by Luz Y Fuerza. I don’t know which company serves the suburbs.

Charging consumers for street lights is kind of a rip off, in some areas street lights are few and far between. The first house we lived in was at the end of a retorno (cul de sac), there were five houses and one street light there.

The problem with the rate structure for electricity in Mexico is that both the power companies are owned by the government, with corresponding inefficiencies. Production costs are not a big factor in setting the rates.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

Marlene

Oct 22, 2004, 8:15 PM

Post #38 of 39 (781 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ed and Fran] Actual electrical bills

It's pretty warm over here on the Pacific Coast still too. Today was well over 30 (C) and felt quite humid again compared to perhaps a week ago when we thought we were out of the woods for the season, sts. My husband is convinced he feels the "change" but I have my doubts. I too am guessing another few weeks of a/c use, at least for sleeping. I am not sure when the seasonal CFE subsidy ends but I have a feeling October is it.

We have had hardly any rain this month, which is normally our hurricane season...so who knows what's in store for us over the next few weeks.

Ed and Fran

Oct 23, 2004, 6:57 AM

Post #39 of 39 (752 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Karin] Actual electrical bills

Yes, you're right, I didn't mention IVA or the fact that it is a two month billing cycle, but I thought that had been mentioned earlier in the cycle. I was just trying to put a number on kwh rate for those who manage to get themselves in the DAC tarifa.

DAP must be something local. We don't have it here. Thank God for small favors.

Regards

E&F
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4