Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Gulf of Mexico

habitatholly

Oct 20, 2004, 7:01 AM

Post #1 of 4 (2219 views)

Shortcut

Where can I find a Home Depot or Home Mart near Veracuz?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello from Washington, DC:

I stumbled on this site looking for information about Mexican hardware stores. I am headed to Veracruz as a volunteer to build houses with Jimmy Carter and Habitat for Humanity. We're planning to build 75 house in Veracruz in one week with over a thousand volunteers and 75 soon-to-be-homeowner families.

We have recently learned that there is likely to be a shortage of essential tools on the site and advised it would be easier and cheaper to purchase them in Mexico. The volunteers who have been in Veracruz already helping prepare for the build said they frequently had to send someone to Mexico City to pick up basic tools like drill bits. I find it hard to believe there aren't any large hardware stores closer than Mexico City. We will be buying large quantities--100 extension cords, 200 power drills, etc., so a large home improvement store would be best. If anyone could help me locate the large stores closest to Veracruz , thousands of volunteers and homeowner families would be eternally grateful.

In addition to Veracruz, another army of volunteers will be building 75 house in Puebla at the same time. If you're in the area of either site, you're welcome to come out and join us!

Thanks,

Habitat Holly

NJ2VER

Oct 20, 2004, 9:37 AM

Post #2 of 4 (2204 views)

Shortcut

Re: [habitatholly] Where can I find a Home Depot or Home Mart near Veracuz?

Habitat Holly,
There is a Walmart in the Boca del Rio part of the port of Veracruz. I believe its on Calz. Ruiz Cortinez, just south of the city and just north of the Plaza del las Americas shopping mall and the Mocambo Hotel. There is a Sams club nearby on Ejercito Mexicano, just west of the Plaza de las Americas, toward the airport. See the mapquest map: http://www.mapquest.com go to maps, Mexico, and search for Veracruz. There is also a Walmart and a Costco in Xalapa. What you really need is a Home Depot. I'll see if I can find out more. Too many poor people, not enough houses down there. I have family that lives in a simple, solid, house built by Habitat, in Sihuapan, which I saving up to add to. God Bless Jimmy Carter and the work you do.

habitatholly

Oct 20, 2004, 11:06 AM

Post #3 of 4 (2197 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NJ2VER] Where can I find a Home Depot or Home Mart near Veracuz?

Thanks for your help. I have shared your comments with my fellow volunteers. Any information about the closest Home Depot to Veracruz would be greatly appreciated.

Holly

"El Gringo Jalapeño"

Oct 22, 2004, 1:44 PM

Post #4 of 4 (2173 views)

Shortcut

Re: [habitatholly] Where can I find a Home Depot or Home Mart near Veracuz?

Holly:
Home Mart México was bought out by Home Depot. The Home Mart in Veracruz is next to Plaza Américas Mall in Boca del Rio. You could also go into one of the Construrama franchises and negociate wholesale prices. Another wholesale dealer could be Ferreteria Onofre here in Xalapa. Feel free to contact me directly if you need more help or information.
¡Mucho gusto y hasta pronto!
Roy B. Dudley "El Gringo Jalapeño" See more about Xalapa at www.xalaparoy.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4