Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

Biggles

Oct 17, 2004, 5:44 AM

Post #1 of 12 (1579 views)

Shortcut

Car insurance questions--please help!

Can't Post | Private Reply
Aaaargh! My eyes are getting cross from all of the posts that I've been reading. The more I think I understand, the more confused I get. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated (and yes, Bubba, I've looked at previous postings but they confuse me even more).

Here is the situation: we're currently in Texas and have a P.O. Box nearby for a business. It looks like there's a possibility that we may be moving sooner than expected (very interested potential buyer). Anyway, we want to bring both of our vehicles into the country (his truck, my little putt-putt). Obviously, we'll get as much Mexican coverage as possible, but what's the best way to keep US insurance going without getting hit with a full policy or a large penalty should we return for a vacation or (god forbid) move back? I know that a short-term US possible can be issued, but that wouldn't help if we ever found ourselves in the position to need to re-insure with a US company. Is it possible? I guess we're hoping to keep "continuous coverage" going without getting hit for two policies. Does such a thing exist?

Any and all advice about bringing the vehicles would help--many thanks in advance!

Cheri

Rolly

Oct 17, 2004, 6:02 AM

Post #2 of 12 (1567 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Biggles] Car insurance questions--please help!

Hi Cheri,

Some companys offer an inactive policy for a very low cost that you can reactivate if/when you return. Talk with your agent.

Rolly Pirate

Fluffy

Oct 17, 2004, 8:30 AM

Post #3 of 12 (1548 views)

Shortcut

Cheri,When we moved to Mexico in the late 80's we merely canceled our insurance with USAA,then used short-term when we visited.
When we returned to the states 4 years later we called them ,explained we had been out of country,they checked the computer for our previous info and gave us a quote.We gave them a credit card number and a place to fax the proof of insurance card.No problems.

We didn't even have a permanent address.We used our kids' and was told to up date when one was available.Hope this helped. Marian

El Gringo Nuevo

Oct 17, 2004, 8:39 AM

Post #4 of 12 (1544 views)

Shortcut

Check with State Farm Insurance. They seem to be reasonably liberal with your requests like yours.

NEOhio

Oct 17, 2004, 9:08 AM

Post #5 of 12 (1540 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Our insurance agents solution will be to issue a "car in storage" policy, for one year paid up front, that runs about $10-20 per month depending on which models of our cars is covered. This is done only upon proof of a one year policy, PAID in FULL, for MExican coverage equal to or larger than our present coverage. Each renewal time we will have to prove and pay in total for Mexican coverage, and pay also the subsequent "storage" policy in full.

When we would need coverage for travel in the US we would call him a few days ahead of time and he would put in force a policy that would cover the length of time we expect to be driving in the US, plus a week leeway just in case we extended our trip.

I think staying with a company or agent you have an experience rating with is getting more important, especially if you are an older driver or have had one or two accidents in your lifetime.

El Gringo Nuevo

Oct 17, 2004, 9:32 AM

Post #6 of 12 (1535 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NEOhio] Car insurance questions--please help!

In Reply To

I think staying with a company or agent you have an experience rating with is getting more important, especially if you are an older driver or have had one or two accidents in your lifetime.

Great insight. That's why i've stayed with State Farm for over 45 years. The agents have some latitude in how they can assist you in a time of need and that can become a great asset at a critical time in our lives.

Biggles

Oct 17, 2004, 7:36 PM

Post #7 of 12 (1472 views)

Shortcut

Re: [El Gringo Nuevo] Car insurance questions--please help!

Many thanks to all of you for your patience in answering my question. I was beginning to think that we'd have to have two full insurance policies but I'll do what you suggested and see if we can either get a "car in storage" type policy or something bare bones. Currently, our company is Progressive--I don't know if they offer something like that but our policy is up for renewal in December so if we have to switch, then it's at the perfect time!

Cheri

sfmacaws

Oct 18, 2004, 1:28 PM

Post #8 of 12 (1416 views)

Shortcut

Cheri,

Check with Progressive, I believe that they are one of the companies that will offer comprehensive coverage - at least for an RV - in Mexico. This allows you to only buy liability from a MX insurance company. On some policies the MX comprehensive is included with the US coverage for no additional charge.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

gfarmer

Oct 18, 2004, 1:42 PM

Post #9 of 12 (1413 views)

Shortcut

Biggles, I don't know where you are going in Mexio, but we had very good success with Cristina Hecht Berg in Chapala. She was very honest and recommended a six month policy rather than a month or two. You can contact her from the U.S. and set up the policy and then as you leave the country, contact her again and she will rebate the balance owed.

e-mail: sanbornprkr@prodigy.net.mx

I believe the parent company is AIG here in the states.

Good Luck, gfarmer

Biggles

Oct 20, 2004, 4:52 PM

Post #10 of 12 (1322 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Car insurance questions--please help!

Jonna,

Thanks except...Progressive is who we currently have as our insurers. I called last night to see what they recommended and (I swear I'm not making this up) I had to tell the agent three times that Mexico was a country and not a state. You may safely assume that it went downhill from there. I'll call again during the day and see if that helps.

Cheri

Biggles

Oct 20, 2004, 4:55 PM

Post #11 of 12 (1321 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gfarmer] Car insurance questions--please help!

Gfarmer,

Thanks. You're the second person that has recommended AIG so I'll check them out. Definitely can't hurt. The dilemma is that we're actually moving permanently SoB but we want to keep minimal coverage in the states so that there isn't an insurance gap. This would be in case we came back north to sell the cars or had to move due to unforseen circumstance. Actually, I'm probably making this harder than it needs to be.

Cheri

johanson

Oct 20, 2004, 7:10 PM

Post #12 of 12 (1297 views)

Shortcut

I've used AIG for years. It get it through an Insurance Broker here in Ajijic, Parker Ins. I have never had a reck but I am told the the company is a good one.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4