Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

Alice from Minnesota

Nov 30, 1919, 12:00 AM

Post #1 of 6 (4636 views)

Shortcut

washing dishes

Can't Post |
I have not seen this problem addressed. It is safe to rinse dishes with non potable water and let them air dry or dry them with a towel? Or do you have to rinse with iodine or chlorine treated water? We have a water distiller and several purifiers but none of these would affect the hot water system. A UV system may be in our future but in the meantime??? And what about a dishwasher; is that water hot enough to kill germs? Any ideas appreciated.

Don

Post #2 of 6 (4628 views)

Shortcut

Things with peelings or shells

Can't Post |
Gunter takes an extra measure of safety by washing eggs, pineapples, and bananas. We soak foods without peelings or shells in Microdine. For over a year now, no problems with unwashed eggs and fruits with peelings. Now watch, I'll die tomorrow.

Water Treatment Operator

Post #3 of 6 (4628 views)

Shortcut

washing dishes

Can't Post |
We wash our dishes right from the tap in Ajijic and havenīt had any problems. I even drank half a glass of tap water the other day -- by mistake -- like a fool, but didnīt have any problems. I did the same thing in China and was seriously ill for two days. I donīt recommend drinking the local water but washing and showering has not been a problem for my wife and me. <p>I know nothing about the local water treatment and distribution system, which was my career in the US. there has to be a minimum chlorine dosage (and residual level) to kill the e coli bacteria and I donīt know if and to what exent or efficiency they chlorinate the water here. I think Iīm afraid to find out. My best advice it to take all precautions to make sure you are safe, however my experience as a certified water treatment and analysis operator is that washing with local water is OK.

Esteban

Post #4 of 6 (4629 views)

Shortcut

washing dishes

Can't Post |
If you were a water treatment operator you'll know that it's not only e-coli that causes problems. Depending on your immune system, generic coliform can also be a problem not to speak of cryptosporidium, amoebas etc. Generic coliform can sometimes mutate and even chlorine won't kill it. Older folks, babies and others with immune system problems are at risk.

Brent

Post #5 of 6 (4628 views)

Shortcut

washing dishes

Can't Post |
Alice,<p>You bring up an interesting point.Always washed dishes the old fashioned way in both GDL and Chapala, we never had a problem. Usually the water has a lot of chlorine in it in GDL. Don't think the water has enough bad stuff to affect the dishes. I also brush the teeth with it, but don't swallow.

Gunter Steiner

Post #6 of 6 (4631 views)

Shortcut

washing dishes

Can't Post |
When we first got here we washed in hot soapy water and everything was fine.<p>Now we have a dishwasher and it is also fine. Never had any problems either way.<p>The thing that will get you is not washing:
bananas, pineapple...any fruit with a skin, even if you peel it and also wash your eggs. Plus be very careful where you buy them. <p>I pay the extra and get mine from Chicken Poultry/Chicken Little out in Riberas.<p>They have also added salads to their line of products. Once a week we either go there or order chicken salad, coleslaw, potatoe salad, GREAT bean salad and they also carry a pasta salad. Never tried the pasta.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4