Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

king1522

Oct 11, 2004, 1:02 PM

Post #1 of 27 (3272 views)

Shortcut

Frustration with mail situation in Jocotepec

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am hoping someone on this board has some ideas to help solve my receiving mail problem. I am currently attempting to have my mail forwarded to me from Escapees in Livingston TX. This is the current situation. Our landlady tells us to place a mailbox on the front of the house, because it will be delivered to our street address. A few weeks later, and no mail. My wife goes the post office and inquires about delivery. The answer is "we don't deliver to that address, we hold the mail here". My wife goes back today and was told "nah, your mail is not here, we are sending it back because we don't deliver to that address and you don't have a box." About three weeks ago, my wife and I went to inquire about a PO box in Jocotepec. A nice young man told us to come back next week and some would be available because some boxes had been abandoned and they needed to be drilled and new keys made. My wife went back the next week and an older gentleman told her, no way, maybe January. I don't trust Mailbox's Etc. because of the posts I have read here. I can have Escapees to Fedex it to Mailbox's Etc here near Jocotepec and physically pick it up myself, but that would be pretty expensive. I am somewhat at my wits end. Any ideas????
Thanks
Don

Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The more paper that
is rolled off, the faster it goes.

Marlene

Oct 11, 2004, 1:11 PM

Post #2 of 27 (3255 views)

Shortcut

Re: [king1522] Frustration with mail situation in Jocotepec

Is there no General Delivery available at that post office? Maybe a nearby (larger) post office has General Delivery service until a box comes available. Sounds kind of strange alright.

FeelinGroovy

Oct 11, 2004, 2:17 PM

Post #3 of 27 (3237 views)

Shortcut

We have a PO Box at the Ajijic Post Office and no problems whatsoever.
Libby

Bubba

Oct 11, 2004, 2:35 PM

Post #4 of 27 (3237 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Libby] Frustration with mail situation in Jocotepec

WE have had terrible problems with the Ajijic post office over the past three years and mistrust them absolutely. Do not us this post office under any circumstances.

juan david

Oct 11, 2004, 2:42 PM

Post #5 of 27 (3233 views)

Shortcut

We have been using the Ajijic post office for over a year without problem. Anything of vital importance we have couriered to MBE in San Antonio.
" let sleeping dogs lie"

esperanza

Oct 11, 2004, 2:46 PM

Post #6 of 27 (3232 views)

Shortcut

Re: [juan david] Frustration with mail situation in Jocotepec

Hmmm...I have nothing but praise for the folks at the Ajijic post office. When I have a document FedExed from anywhere, I have FedEx deliver it to my door and have never had a problem. Knock on wood.

MBE makes me nervous.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Uncle Jack

Oct 11, 2004, 2:55 PM

Post #7 of 27 (3230 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Frustration with mail situation in Jocotepec

Bubba;

We've been using it for a year and a half and, to my knowledge, nothing has been lost. It takes a couple of weeks, but it gets here.

You seem pretty adamant about the Ajijic PO. What problems did you encounter?

uj

king1522

Oct 11, 2004, 4:02 PM

Post #8 of 27 (3219 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Uncle Jack] Frustration with mail situation in Jocotepec

The major problem is that I don't live in Ajijic. I live in Jocotepec. They probably do have General Delivery, well....maybe they have general delivery....or...maybe they don't. When you ask someone the time around here, they will proceed to tell you how their watch was made. When they get through, you still don't have a clue what time it is. It is a good thing that I have a good sense of humor. If you can't laugh about it, you would go crazy. Anyway, I was hoping for a solution here in Jocotepec.
Don

Bubba

Oct 11, 2004, 7:01 PM

Post #9 of 27 (3188 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Uncle Jack] Frustration with mail situation in Jocotepec

Jack:

I, today, await a replacement American Express Card mailed from the United States six weeks ago. I know it will never come and I will end up having to pay the fee for Airborne Express. This will the the 4th credit card mailed me to the thieves at the Ajijic post office I have not received.

The postmaster is a surly and incompetent manager.

I mailed 27 post cards to France on behalf of a visiting friend and three actually made it to that country. The mail clerk assured me that she would be sure to affix the stamps. I'm sure I bought her lunch.

We had two packages returned to friends in the United States "Addressee Unknown" when the POB address in Ajijic was clearly correct.

I have ordered several inexpensive items from overseas that have totally disappeared.

The Ajijic post office is a disgrace.

Otherwise, no problem.

The only thing worse that the Ajijic post office is the unbelievably lousy service at Mail Boxes, Etc. which so far has managed to lose six DVDs I ordered.

Bancomer in Ajijic won't even use the local goons to mail their statements. They throw the statements over my wall.

Thank God I pay all my bills electronically.

Any more questions, mi amigo?

Marlene

Oct 11, 2004, 7:17 PM

Post #10 of 27 (3184 views)

Shortcut

Okay, did you forget to give the obligatory propina on Mail Man's Day? Our mailman hunts us down if we forget! It is scary. LOL... His exact words were "aren't you intending to co-operate?" with this serious glare. Meaning...if you ever want to see your mail again, get with the program. My husband says "but we did co-operate". I reminded him that this man holds the key to important stuff in our lives so we must "co-operate" a little more. 50 more pesos perked him up as he peddled away on his creaky old bicycle. Mail comes on schedule more or less.

(This post was edited by Marlene on Oct 11, 2004, 7:25 PM)

Bubba

Oct 11, 2004, 7:20 PM

Post #11 of 27 (3182 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] Frustration with mail situation in Jocotepec

That's It! I forgot to bribe the SOB.

However, I opened my box in June and my problems began right away so he must have spotted me coming down the road.

esperanza

Oct 11, 2004, 8:01 PM

Post #12 of 27 (3164 views)

Shortcut

It seems strange to me to blame failure to receive packages and loss of documents such as credit cards solely on the handful of employees at the Ajijic post office. It's much more likely that those losses occur farther up the food chain, where the bigger fish swim. Isn't it more likely that mail is lost (or even stolen) in the morass of the postal offices of the Distrito Federal--or even Guadalajara--than in the charal-size post office in Ajijic?

In the not-too-far-distant past, ALL mail coming into or going out of anywhere in Mexico was routed through Mexico City. That may actually still be the case; I've just spent some time investigating the Servicio Postal Mexicano website (www.sepomex.gob.mx) but wasn't able to find a definitive answer about a change. You're welcome to poke around the site yourselves.

(This post was edited by esperanza on Oct 11, 2004, 8:02 PM)

Papirex

Oct 12, 2004, 12:03 AM

Post #13 of 27 (3140 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Frustration with mail situation in Jocotepec

Esperanza, I have no idea of whether the mail for Ajijic comes through the Mexico City post office or not, but you are right in your opinion of that office. My mother in Law has a house in Mexico City, and my wife was born and raised there.

For decades, every single piece of personal mail from The United States delivered to her house arrives having been sliced open. The people at the post office are obviously looking for money, checks, money orders, etc. When complaints are made, the answer is always the same “That’s the way we got it.”

Several of her US Social Security checks were stolen over the years too.

Every single package ever mailed to her house from The United Sates has disappeared. I am reasonably sure that mail for Cuernavaca is routed through that office too. Earlier this year my daughter in California had collected three old cell phones to send to me. I had told her that I would have them reprogrammed, buy prepaid phone cards for them, and loan them to our guests when they visit us. I had told her not to mail them to me or they would be stolen, but to mail them to my brother in law in Tacoma. He makes frequent trips down here and he would bring them to me.

She mailed them to me anyway. That was six months ago. I know they were stolen. Thankfully, they have no real value, they were given to my daughter to send to me by her friends that had bought updated phones in The US.

I have noticed that many businesses here do not send their bills through the post office, those bills that are sent through the mail are usually delivered after the due date for the bill. Some businesses use couriers that put the bills in our mailbox, I have seen them delivering them. There are no stamps on them.

Some people have good results using the Mexican Postal system. Personally, I wouldn’t trust them with a wad of used chewing gum.

Rex

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

Biggles

Oct 12, 2004, 5:14 AM

Post #14 of 27 (3129 views)

Shortcut

OK, then would someone please answer the obvious question for me--if you're like us, about to set up house SoB, what is the best recommendation? We're going to be living in Chapala. Most of our bills will be paid online but....

Is the answer: a) MBE; b) a PO box in Chapala; c) lots of hope and prayer or d) fat chance to all of them? This is a serious question and all info would help.

Thanks,

Cheri

Jerry@Ajijic

Oct 12, 2004, 7:01 AM

Post #15 of 27 (3107 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Biggles] Frustration with mail situation in Jocotepec

We use MBE for magazines and other stuff like W-2 tax forms. We do not have anything of value sent there. We have books and other stuff with a value sent to our Ajijic P.O. box and have never had any trouble.

The idea of sending all mail through Mexico City does not suprise me. We lived in a small town in Florida and all of our outgoing mail had to go through Orlando. All of the city's electric bills had to go 50 miles to Orl then back to our local P.O.for delivery.

Howard Botz

Oct 12, 2004, 7:10 AM

Post #16 of 27 (3100 views)

Shortcut

At the risk of repeating myself from an earlier thread on the same subject....I have had nothing but excellent, and friendly, service from the Ajijic Post Office. Unless one feels he needs to maintain a separate U.S. address I see no reason to deal with Mail Boxes.
The situation in Jocotopec sounds a bit more grim and you have my sympathy.
Howard

esperanza

Oct 12, 2004, 8:25 AM

Post #17 of 27 (3073 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Howard Botz] Frustration with mail situation in Jocotepec

As I have posted before, I have had excellent service from the Ajijic post office. Letters, bills, and books all arrive without trouble and in due time. Letters usually take two weeks or so from the States; bills always arrive after the due date, but that's why I pay online. Books can take 6 to 8 weeks, but they get here. I've told the story before about the letter carrier coming to my door three days after Christmas with a large box from Amazon.com in his bike basket. The big box was addressed to my PO box, not my home, but he said, "We knew it was a Christmas present you were waiting for, so we just brought it on over." How much better could it get?

All my magazine subscriptions come to my home address. So what if the New Yorker gets to me three weeks late? It's not so topical that I can't wait for it.

If I need something important (a new credit card, a negotiable document, etc) sent to me, I have it FedEx'ed. For the very, very few times I need it, it's worth the cost.

The only time a piece of mail addressed to me has been lost was through MBE, when my bank sent me a box of new checks from the bank address in San Diego to the MBE address, at that time also in San Diego. 'Splain that one to me, Lucy.

shoe

Oct 12, 2004, 8:31 AM

Post #18 of 27 (3072 views)

Shortcut

Bubba, I totally agree with you. The Ajijic post office is a bad joke!

Examples:

When I moved there I bribed the post master $20 USD for a box and he gave me one right away. I thought this will be great. I have given the sucker a lot of pesos over the last year and a half but it hasn't helped. He doesn't even know me when I go there as I don't go often.

I had my son in Florida send me 4 letters just to test the system. I never got a one of them. This was spread over 6 months.

My son in Kentucky sent me 3 items. I got one.

My daughter in Tennessee sent me two items and I never got them.

My ex wife and I are in several businesses together. She tried the Mexican postal system for a few things and I got two. I think she sent 8 items. We then used the Mail Box people for FedEx stuff and if you have them hold the FedEx'ed item and bribe them when you pick it up you can be fairly sure that the next one will be there intact. I bribed them initially too, to get the correct information on how to mail the stuff using FedEx to them. It was funny as they started to tell me how to do it, I was trying to write it down, and when I got out some money they produced a piece of paper with the address and instructions. I return monthly to handle this stuff and do other gringo things.

I got about 75% of the American Legion monthly mailings at the Ajijic post office.

I get all kinds of mail in my box at the Ajijic post office that isn't mine and I just put it back on the counter for them to try to find a place to put it. I guess they just hide the stuff in various boxes.

In Melaque it is even worse. I have gotten one piece of mail here and that was the Telex bill. I guess someone else gets the American Legion stuff. They mail monthly. I didn't get the electricity bill ($105 pesos owed) and they turned it off on me. I was here to pay them off and they hooked it right back up but I was just lucky. There really isn't much of a place to mail and receive mail here wither. I still have th Ajijic post office box and really don't know why.

-----

I beleive that a enterprising chap could start a good business just going back and forth to the border with mail for people. All the chap would need is a address he could go to NoB. People could send stuff there and get it quickly compared to anything else and it would get there for a change. Of course there is probably some government thing stopping this sort of behavior. They would get you on a visa violation or no business license or something. Wonder if you could do it on a donation basis. That would be interesting. Maybe the chap could do it with a Mexican national and get away with it, a real business.

shoe

Nothing is intrinsically good or evil, but its manner of usage may make it so.
-St. Thomas Aquinas

(This post was edited by shoe on Oct 12, 2004, 8:35 AM)

Bubba

Oct 12, 2004, 8:36 AM

Post #19 of 27 (3067 views)

Shortcut

King:

As you can see, experiences with the local post offices vary. About 90% of the time, posters Esperanza, Uncle Jack and I agree (more or less) but on the issue of the incompetence of the Ajijic post office we are destined to disagree. My negative experiences there as, delineated in an earlier post, are recurrent and maddening. There is one other alternative. There is a mail forwarding service in San Antonio Tlayacapan the name of which I cannot remember but some have told me it is a good company. They give you a Texas address and your mail is forwarded here once every two weeks, I think. This outlet is located between MBE and Cafe Due. Just ask around. There is also a mail forwarding service in Chapalita that you may wish to use if you often go to Guadalajara.

By the way, your story about their sending mail back because they "...don't deliver to that address." is priceless Mexican Post Office material.

I have high hopes for the MBE local franchise now that UPS owns MBE. There is no way, in my judgment, that UPS will tolerate the inadequate service at the San Antonio MBE branch once they have identified the problems and are able to address it. Incidentally, I do not blame the guys at the San Antonio MBE for my missing DVDs. They are nice and honorable people. The problem lies elsewhere, probably in Laredo. I do, however, blame the jerks at the Ajijic post office for their incompetence and surliness. Others posting here disagree. Normally they are smart people. I don't know what went wrong with them. Probably too much hooch over the years.

Bubba

Oct 12, 2004, 9:22 AM

Post #20 of 27 (3049 views)

Shortcut

Re: [shoe] Frustration with mail situation in Jocotepec

Good point, Shoe:

I've noticed that neither Bancomer nor CFE use the post office for statements and bills in Ajijic. They personally deliver these documents to your home (or, in the case of CFE, somebody's home in the neighborhood). Only Telmex uses the postal system and their bills are always delivered on time. I think it's because Carlos Slim owns both Telmex and the post office.

king1522

Oct 12, 2004, 11:03 AM

Post #21 of 27 (3031 views)

Shortcut

I agree with Shoe. Someone could start a very profitable business by providing a reliable service here at Lakeside. I hope you are right Bubba in that UPS will eventurally fix Mailbox here. I think you have mentioned before that a service of this type is sorely needed here.
Don

Marlene

Oct 12, 2004, 3:19 PM

Post #22 of 27 (2998 views)

Shortcut

Someone could start a very profitable business by providing a reliable service

Reading this I am having a flashback to my days in Canada where living alongside the US/Canadian border provided opportunity to send and receive mail at the speed of light (compared to Canada) via the US Postal system, especially for folks doing business with US companies.

The Canadian postal system was as mysterious as the Mexican one appears to be, whereby it took two weeks for a piece of mail to arrive from the USA. US companies did not even want to talk about mail (containing cheques) from Canada.

With that challenge being presented, I crossed the border and opened a mailbox in Washington state. I had a few calamities with Canadian officials when employees would order things from the US Shopping Networks to be delivered to the company post box, goods which of course had to be abandoned (under threats of vehicle seizure - mine) at the border as I tried to explain my way out of not knowing what was inside the packages - fortunately mostly travel brochures and trade material, and commission cheques from US companies we dealt with.

Funnily enough, the mail appears to arrive more quickly from Canada to Mexico than it does from the USA to Mexico. What is wrong with this picture? (she says, as Bubba goes postal in Ajijic!!)

(This post was edited by Marlene on Oct 12, 2004, 3:20 PM)

Georgia

Oct 12, 2004, 6:05 PM

Post #23 of 27 (2971 views)

Shortcut

Don't count on UPS to straighten things out. My daughter sent me an UPS envelope from Austin, Texas. The advice read "extremely urgent." Took 11 days to get to El Chante. And the guy waited for a tip. I gave him a tip: I suggested they improve their service.

Marlene

Oct 12, 2004, 8:13 PM

Post #24 of 27 (2954 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] Frustration with mail situation in Jocotepec

I am really getting into this "goin' postal" thread now. We use DHL for reliability in Mazatlán. Fed-ex is not on the reliability list.

Tip? It hadn't occurred to me, and now I read your post and am embarrassed. (No tippy canoe/Canadian jokes!) I follow my Mexican husband's lead nowadays and their canoes never tip ...he really isn't into that concept. You know the story..."they get paid to do a job".. (oh okay, so why don't they?) Seriously though, the DHL guys are awesome and prompt.

Jerry@Ajijic

Oct 13, 2004, 7:48 AM

Post #25 of 27 (2913 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] Frustration with mail situation in Jocotepec

Bubba, the place in San Antonio is called Handy Mail and they say they offer weekly service from NOB and the cost is $20.00 per month if you sign up for six months. I do not know how good their service is but that is what their sign says.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4