Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

bettyv

Oct 7, 2004, 4:05 AM

Post #1 of 12 (2077 views)

Shortcut

Mexican Driver's Permit

Can't Post | Private Reply
We both have NYC drivers' licenses. Do we need Mexican licenses as well? And if so, how do we go about getting one.

Rolly

Oct 7, 2004, 6:06 AM

Post #2 of 12 (2058 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bettyv] Mexican Driver's Permit

So long as your New York license is valid you are fine. You are not required to have a Mexican license, but many of us think it is a good idea to have one.

Rolly Pirate

lbc

Oct 7, 2004, 11:07 AM

Post #3 of 12 (2012 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bettyv] Mexican Driver's Permit

pm me and I tell you how I got mine in San Miguel. There are several ways to get one.

gpk

Oct 7, 2004, 3:49 PM

Post #4 of 12 (1979 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Mexican Driver's Permit

I'm not sure, but in the state of Guanajuato I think you need a Guanajuato license IF you have a Guanajuato plated car. For a foreign plated car, I think the Guanajuato license is optional with a valid foreign license.

mrchuck

Oct 8, 2004, 7:15 AM

Post #5 of 12 (1919 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpk] Mexican Driver's Permit

Over here in BCS, in order to get a "Mexican Driver's license", you must first eat 2 boxes of the "Zucaritas" cereal, and keep the coupon from each box. Ps this is "frosted flakes" in the USA.
Once you have the 2 coupons, you take them down to your DMV office and trade them in for a driver's license.

That is the local joke here, but many families truly believe it.
The actual truth is that you take your immigration document with 3 copies, a receipt for phone, water, rent, etc, present USA license, a blood test or a document showing your blood type.
Blood type is VERY important, and will appear on your license.
No test was given.
You pay 400 pesos and your license is signed and given to you.
Good for 4 years.

Saludos, mc

Bubba

Oct 8, 2004, 7:38 AM

Post #6 of 12 (1914 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mrchuck] Mexican Driver's Permit

You will not duplicate MR's experience in Jalisco at present. We went to Ocotlan, Jalisco for a first time license and not only was there a written test but it was in Spanish with no quarter given to foreigeners. The test was no piece of cake either. One needs to study the published regulations in advance and those are also not translated. If you have a valid U.S. license, you may skip the driver's test but, if that foreign license has expired you also must take a driver's test.

They used to help out Lake Chapala people with a sub-station at Riberas but that seems to be temporarily suspended for now. Maybe someone has some insight as to when this will be available again. I have heard that there may have been a corruption of the process over there at one time that made the whole process easier. Damn! When you need to grease the skids you can't find the skidder.

Marlene

Oct 8, 2004, 8:01 AM

Post #7 of 12 (1906 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Mexican Driver's Permit

Tests are required here in Mazatlán as well, and the new DL is valid for a shorter period initially. The test can be written in English by request, after listening to the one hour lecture on traffic safety (not in English).

johanson

Oct 8, 2004, 11:13 AM

Post #8 of 12 (1870 views)

Shortcut

I live in Ajijic and renewed my Jalisco driver's license in Riberas (between Ajijic and Chapala) in April. At that time the folks from Ocotlan, would come to the Chapala area about once per month. As I walked in, I watched folks from NoB taking the written drivers license test in English.

It took me about 2 hours, including driving to and from the site, to get my driver's license renewed. It sure makes things simpler when the folks come to Riberas to administer the test for those of us gringos in the greater Ajijic-Chapala area.

Bubba

Oct 8, 2004, 1:09 PM

Post #9 of 12 (1858 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Mexican Driver's Permit

Unfortunately, they seem to have stopped coming to Riberas. Anyone hear of a plan to start again?

Georgia

Oct 8, 2004, 2:26 PM

Post #10 of 12 (1846 views)

Shortcut

Yes. There was a quota of 100 new licenses and 100 renewals this month at the location near Spring Clean on the carretera between Ajijic and Chapala. My husband and I got our number and return for the written test on Monday, October 11. They'll be advertising and doing this again in the next month or so. It was announced in the Guadalajara Reporter, I believe.

Bubba

Oct 9, 2004, 7:29 AM

Post #11 of 12 (1803 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] Mexican Driver's Permit

Yes, the test in Riberas was announced in the Reporter including the information that there were still slots left. I went by and they told me there was no test on the 11th. Oh well, it's good to know that this was a miscommunication because it's a pain to go to Ocotlan.

Georgia

Oct 9, 2004, 11:21 AM

Post #12 of 12 (1771 views)

Shortcut

They may have reached their quota, so they may have meant there were no more test openings available. But, we plan to go for the test on Monday. Will report back!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4