Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

Esteban

Oct 5, 2004, 10:22 AM

Post #1 of 14 (2720 views)

Shortcut

Brunch en Casa

Can't Post | Private Reply
We always wake up to a few cups of coffee made with Blason Expresso. It's very hard to beat, especially on a budget. A bag of 500 grams costs about 30 pesos. The expresso and only the Blason expresso, is worth the money. The rest of their line reminds me of Folgers. We like it strong and it definitely gives us the bang. All is well in the world. For an hour, we can't eat.

Finally, the hunger returns around 11:00 AM. We don't have anything pressing till later this afternoon so I'd call it one of those lazy days of summer. I sautee up some garlic in olive oil, throw in some water and some nice salmon filets. I put a little mixture of mayo, mustard and pepper on top of the Salmon and cover it to poach.

I take another pan and poach up two eggs for each of us.

Next, a potato goes into the microwave. We split the baker.....she likes it plain, I like it with a little butter and Tajin Salsa en Polvo. My eggs get the Tajin salsa, I toast up some whole wheat bread from the natural food store and the meal is ready. See attached photo.
Attachments: food.jpg (62.1 KB)

Carol Schmidt

Oct 5, 2004, 2:38 PM

Post #2 of 14 (2705 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] Brunch en Casa

Lookin' good! My breakfast was Fiber Max cereal with a banana and skim milk, 10-cup pot of coffee was made in my art class for us all, late lunch was a tuna salad sub sandwich and cantaloupe, and we'll have guacamole at Manolo's bar adjoining Casa Payo restaurant while we watch the debates with a bunch of other rabid Democrats. (If you want to know if we're rabid, you can watch how any Republican who ventures into the bar will be greeted.) I'm smuggling a small bottle of Tabasco into the bar to jazz up the guacamole--I seem to like many foods hotter than Mexicans, and other foods I find too hot for my tongue. I'll trade my day's food for your breakfast any day. Tomorrow we'll cook.

Carol Schmidt

Esteban

Oct 5, 2004, 3:19 PM

Post #3 of 14 (2697 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Carol Schmidt] Brunch en Casa

We'll to tell you the truth, we had Honey Bunches of Oats or something like that, Sunday, with Lala Light and bananas. We just started drinking a little milk after several years of not using it. After that, for our late lunch, we went down to a beautiful restaurant at the old harbor called "La Puntilla" and munched on their large order of shrimp pate. I drank Pacifico in the quartito while Kathryn had a couple of Sprites. I'm so far left, I make rabid democrats seem like neo-cons! However, this place is not a hotbed of gringos talking trash. Rather, it's a Mexican hang-out with incredible roving trio's playing canciones romanticas y baladas. Located on a small point in the harbor, it gets the gentle cooling breezes from the Pacific and views of the shrimp boats coming and going. Hay nada mas mejor!

Ed and Fran

Oct 6, 2004, 1:31 PM

Post #4 of 14 (2668 views)

Shortcut

Esteban said: "We always wake up to a few cups of coffee made with Blason Expresso. It's very hard to beat, especially on a budget. A bag of 500 grams costs about 30 pesos. The expresso and only the Blason expresso, is worth the money. "

Do you have an expresso maker, or are you just using this darker roast in your regular drip maker?

P.S. Do you have to be a liberal to post on this forum?

Regards

E&F

Esteban

Oct 6, 2004, 3:11 PM

Post #5 of 14 (2663 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ed and Fran] Brunch en Casa

Naw, we just use an automatic coffee maker and add a healthy amount to make it strong.

I keep trying to find a way to bring forth my ultra liberal dogma through the use of some kind of cuisine talk but I've yet to find a way. I think that's why they put me in the kitchen.

Even if you drink Folgers, eat your steak well done and don't like chiles, you are still welcome here! However, that is my opinion only and not meant to reflect the opinion of the owners of the mexconnect site nor of the other moderator.

Saludos,
Esteban

sfmacaws

Oct 6, 2004, 9:43 PM

Post #6 of 14 (2646 views)

Shortcut

Esteban,

You might like my habit of peeling a head of garlic and putting it in a jar of good olive oil. After a week or so the oil is well flavored and it just gets better after that. I use the oil for almost anything and the garlic flavor is excellent. A friend started me doing this because she used it as a tonic for sick people and pets. She told me to start it on the new moon, I admit I've given that part up and just start a new one whenever the old one runs out.

It seems to work just as well for neo-con demos and die-hard republicans.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Esteban

Oct 7, 2004, 6:49 AM

Post #7 of 14 (2632 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Brunch en Casa

I've always thought about doing that and was wondering how many cloves per how much olive oil do you use? Also, anyone have any ideas about whether it might be better to sautee the garlic first?

That's definitely a radical idea when you compare it to those folks who would only use Ketchup for everything.

Uncle Jack

Oct 7, 2004, 7:07 AM

Post #8 of 14 (2629 views)

Shortcut

Try 2 cups of EVOO, 6 or 8 peeled garlic cloves, a sprig of rosemary, and a hand full of basil leaves. Place everything in a glass container and zap it for 1 minute in a microwave to get everything started. Let it sit for several days and then remove the basil leaves, as they will tend to turn black after about a week.

As you use the oil replenish it with more EVOO. The garlic and rosemary will continue to flavor the oil for months. As long as they remain covered, everything is cool.

uj

jennifer rose

Oct 7, 2004, 7:46 AM

Post #9 of 14 (2622 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
In the interest of equal time for matters red, as in "red states," you can do the same procedure with sun-dried tomatoes.

Esteban

Oct 7, 2004, 8:58 AM

Post #10 of 14 (2617 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Brunch en Casa

This is all getting very interesting. However, I'd like to see some facts. In my opinion, the population of sun dried tomatoes in a state of olive oil inundation is something you are forgetting to include. Also, it appears obvious, we cannot force a handful of sun-dried down the narrow throat of the usual bottle of olive oil. Therefore, it becomes necessary to take the olive oil out of it's natural environment and put it into some kind of used glass vessel. This may always be the case when it comes to altering the natural state of the oil in question using any of the aforementioned flavors. I'm perplexed. When you take the oil out of it's natural environment, is there a chance that you will be contaminating the oil? If so, it may be prudent to make small amounts rather than risk contamination. At this point in time, we don't have all the information and shouldn't take such a drastic step and ruin an otherwise good bottle of Extra Virgin.

(This post was edited by Esteban on Oct 7, 2004, 8:25 PM)

Uncle Jack

Oct 7, 2004, 9:11 AM

Post #11 of 14 (2616 views)

Shortcut

You won't be contaminating the oil unless you put into a contaminated vessel. Two things, light and heat affect olive oil. Keep it in a dark colored glass or ceramic receptacle, or in a dark cool place. Olive oil is remarkably stable. It has been used for thousands of years to preserve other commodities.

uj

sfmacaws

Oct 7, 2004, 10:06 AM

Post #12 of 14 (2614 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Uncle Jack] Brunch en Casa

I peel most of a small head of garlic, lightly bruise the cloves and put them in a 16 oz glass mayonnaise jar (washed) and then pour in the olive oil till full. I don't microwave them. While it is a clear jar, I do keep it in a dark cabinet.

I've thought of adding basil or rosemary but haven't done it yet.

I also keep adding more olive oil for a month or two, then use it up and start a new one.

I've used the oil from sun dried tomatoes on pasta and it is really good.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Ed and Fran

Oct 7, 2004, 1:38 PM

Post #13 of 14 (2593 views)

Shortcut

We do something similar in putting a bunch of chile de arbol into a tall bottle of olive oil. Takes a while to absorb some of the kick, but it's come in handy now and then.

Regards

E&F

Esteban

Oct 7, 2004, 1:46 PM

Post #14 of 14 (2589 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ed and Fran] Brunch en Casa

Chiles, ajo and the other things used to spice up olive oil all sound great. It would make me hungry but I just finished sharing 1/4 kilo of Borrego, freshly made flour tortillas and all the condiments for our own "burros". At the restaurant, Montelayo, located right across the street from where the older panga fishermen dock, a 1/4 kilo of carne pura is only 40 pesos. It's plenty for two of us. A fresh breeze enters through the old ironwork, strolling musicians again and after that meal, it's time for a siesta.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4