Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

Bubba

Sep 28, 2004, 7:56 PM

Post #1 of 11 (1457 views)

Shortcut

Water Isn't and Then It Is

Can't Post | Private Reply
Who says God lacks humor? In the short run, this ancient Lake Chapala recedes in miserable disgrace, then it appears to come back as your friend and then it eats your lunch. Your profound observations regarding these events are of no consequence. Overwrought prose to be sure but Living lakes is looking pretty silly.

Uncle Jack

Sep 29, 2004, 2:34 PM

Post #2 of 11 (1343 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Water Isn't and Then It Is

Whatta mean "looking pretty silly"? They enlisted a lot of members and collected a lot of dues and the lake is saved!

Hallalujah! Brother! Can you say JAAAAYSUUS!

uj

Bubba

Sep 29, 2004, 4:03 PM

Post #3 of 11 (1328 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Uncle Jack] Water Isn't and Then It Is

Forgive my cynicism Uncle Jack. When I stop to think of the young German children of the executives of the multinational Unilever European conglomerate who were subsidized by the donations of generous Lakesiders in funding their summer sojourn to North America to put up directional signs around lake Chapala, I am humbled and ashamed that I thought those donations, designated as dues for members of Amigos Del Lago and intended to be spent on efforts to save the lake, were going to waste. It is really a good thing that we now have these signs. I have visions of young Germans in lederhosen with their water bottles and sausages hiking around Lake Chapala, singing patriotic songs and putting up directional signs destined to become easels for young Mexican grafitti artists who will obscure whatever useless messages were printed thereon to begin with. Were it not for the funds from Amigos Del lago, what on earth would those executives have done with their idle children over the summer?

By the way, have any of you ever seen one of those signs or are they all under water by now?

esperanza

Sep 29, 2004, 4:54 PM

Post #4 of 11 (1310 views)

Shortcut

I saw one. A carp with a lorgnette swam up to it and was burbling out the words in a Carpathian dialect.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

shoe

Sep 30, 2004, 5:19 AM

Post #5 of 11 (1259 views)

Shortcut

At least the signs do not have a bunch of bullet holes in them like most of the ones in the States that are in remote areas have. This happens to be one of the refreshing things about Mexico as the signs only have paint on them and sometimes can be read and you can even find a sign or two that are clean of graffiti paint. Shotgunned signs can't be read very well.

I think I saw a sign or two while I was in the area last week.

shoe

Nothing is intrinsically good or evil, but its manner of usage may make it so.
-St. Thomas Aquinas

Jerry@Ajijic

Sep 30, 2004, 6:59 AM

Post #6 of 11 (1241 views)

Shortcut

Re: [shoe] Water Isn't and Then It Is

Bubba you can poke fun at Amigos Del Lago all you want to but their objective was to get more public awareness of the lake' problems and thereby put pressure on the politicos. That they has been doing with the Living Lakes program, German young people, etc. It looks like mother nature has decided to help but the fact is that primarly through the efforts of Amigos Del Lago and similar NGOs more people in Mexico and all over the world are familiar with Lake Chapala and it's importance.

Bubba

Sep 30, 2004, 11:09 AM

Post #7 of 11 (1188 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jerry@Ajijic] Water Isn't and Then It Is

Jerry,

I am not your enemy and I think you know that. No doubt ADL was founded on righteous principles but suffered from naivete . Their affiliation with the corrupt and despicable Living Lakes corporate conceit was an understandable mistake. How were donors to ADL to know that their money would be allocated to junkets for snotnosed and privileged children of rich and powerful Europeans? There are people living on Lake Chapala in the shadows of those worthless signs who could live all year on what it took to fly one of those imbecils to Mexico.

Talk about situational ethics.

And, Shoe, did you know that the Alabama Highway Department is careful to make sure that there are no dwellings directly behind road signs in order to minimize problems associated with assorted Billy Bobs randomly shooting at highway signs and then shouting stuff such as "Whoowee, did you see that shot Bobbie Gene?"

(This post was edited by Bubba on Sep 30, 2004, 11:22 AM)

Bubba

Sep 30, 2004, 3:09 PM

Post #8 of 11 (1143 views)

Shortcut

I just got back from the public park next to the Ajijic pier and I was astonished to see municipal workers loading lirio onto trucks at the walkway adjacent to the park, I stopped to observe the activity. To my amazement, the water is now only about a foot below the level of the walkway. For those who are not hereabouts, this is a remarkable, even alarming, rate of growth of the water level. I now look for serious flooding by the end of the next rainy season if not sooner.

"How high's the water mama? "

Never bitch at God!

Uncle Jack

Sep 30, 2004, 3:32 PM

Post #9 of 11 (1138 views)

Shortcut

Back watta rissin, Bro, back watta rissin!

Jerry@Ajijic

Oct 1, 2004, 8:03 AM

Post #10 of 11 (1076 views)

Shortcut

Bubba, yes I know you are not any bodies enemy. My point is that these ADL people are doing their best to help the lake. I admit they seem a little less effective than they could be but THEY ARE TRYING. In the long run, assuming the weather does not change the only solution for the health of the lake is for the local, state and national politicians to be willing to help. It is the old “squeakee door” principal. ADL is trying to create squeaks.
I do think sometimes that you are a little too cynical. That I can understand as a retired banker after many years of people trying to get AND KEEP some of the bank’s money you tend to doubt anyone and everyone. The other day I was a little mixed up and counted my change 3 times. The man at the store said “you don’t trust anyone do you?”. I really do just not too far.

Uncle Jack

Oct 1, 2004, 8:09 AM

Post #11 of 11 (1078 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jerry@Ajijic] Water Isn't and Then It Is

I trust everyone at the table, but I always cut the cards, too.

uj

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4