Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

Carol Schmidt

Sep 28, 2004, 7:44 AM

Post #1 of 5 (1882 views)

Shortcut

Presidente Fox comes to San Miguel

Can't Post | Private Reply
The helicopters were back again Monday, along with all sorts of official cars, bringing Fox to town. I haven't heard yet what ideas were exchanged or if any news resulted from the meetings. I bet Fox was taking a close look at our lauded Mayor Villarreal, who is working miracles in improving San Miguel.

Carol Schmidt

gpk

Sep 28, 2004, 10:49 AM

Post #2 of 5 (1865 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Carol Schmidt] Presidente Fox comes to San Miguel

He was there to kick off a national tourist campaign or something like that. It's been in all the Mexican papers. I don't think it had anything to do with San Miguel except as a place to promote to tourists--just what you need, right, more tourists?

Carol Schmidt

Sep 29, 2004, 12:14 PM

Post #3 of 5 (1827 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpk] Presidente Fox comes to San Miguel

Thanks--Fox's visit to promote tourism was the lead story in this week's Atencion but somehow I breezed right past it to get to the Calendar. I don't mind tourists the rest of the year, just the daredevils who come to SMA for the running of the bulls.

They don't come to enjoy the city's ambience and culture. They come to raise havoc and act stupid and see how close to jail they can get while remaining blotto the entire weekend and they leave the town knee-deep in beer bottles and trash. But then I would never go to a beach town during spring break, either.

Yeah, I vaguely remember being that stupid when I was young, but then, as they say about the Sixties, if you remember it, you weren't there.

Carol Schmidt

Chumley

Sep 30, 2004, 6:04 AM

Post #4 of 5 (1799 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Speaking of beaches, San Miguel is about to have its own beach. Well, at least a strip of sand big enough to allow the same type of young men who participate in what old time expats here call "Fools running from the bulls" to continue to behave badly in front of their groupie girl friends. I am referring to the opening of "Senor Playa", constructed from what used to be a consignment used car lot. It has an outside bar with a sand volley ball court and elevated seating just like you see on TV, mostly on MTV I would suspect. It is located on the Salida de Celaya, just past the new glorieta almost across from my gym, the old Chicago Pizza building. I hope that this is not a franchise set-up replicating similar establishments at real beach resorts. After all, San Miguel this summer has hardly had the weather for such recreation considering the huge amount of rain we've had so far, over 28.5 inches, 2 over the average with 3 months to go. And it does get cold here in the winter, believe it or not. The worst part of it all is the fact it is so near a critical intersection, and after a long, hot afternoon of volley ball and beer, can't you imagine the number of car accidents that will occur when the players decide to take the ball and go home?

gpk

Oct 1, 2004, 10:00 AM

Post #5 of 5 (1760 views)

Shortcut

Just an interesting fact in the paper--the mayor of San Miguel is paid 52,390 pesos per month. (An anesthesiologist at IMSS is paid about 17,000 pesos per month.)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4