Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

SF

Nov 30, 1919, 12:00 AM

Post #1 of 6 (1526 views)

Shortcut

scorpion stings

Can't Post |
How often do you hear of someone being stung by a scorpion?

John R

Post #2 of 6 (1523 views)

Shortcut

It depends...

Can't Post |
Some sorts of scorpion stings are more dangerous than others.<p>I was stung in bed at a hotel (in Amatlan, NOT Chapala) when I slid my hand under the pillow and a scorpion took exception to that move.<p>My wife drove me to Tepotzlan, where the clinic had anti-histamine and anti-venom. The doctor had me sit there and wait to see if I showed symptoms of dying. When I didn't, he decided not to waste the antivenom.<p>

Doctor

Post #3 of 6 (1522 views)

Shortcut

It depends...

Can't Post |
The proper medical procedure, depending on time elapsed and location of the sting, is to give an anti-histaminic drug and put the patient under observation, if the reponse is favorable then it's not advisable to give anti-venom. Because sometimes the anti-venom's side effects can do more harm -like putting the patient in shock- than the scorpion sting. It's not a matter of not wasting anti-venom, Mr John R. You should be grateful you were properly treated.

John R

Post #4 of 6 (1522 views)

Shortcut

Thanks

Can't Post |
Interesting.
Actually, I'm also rather grateful that the sort of scorpion that stung me wasn't one of the bad ones (it was the same color as the one that was notorious). My wife got lost coming into Tepotzlan and drove down a narrow road whose concrete suddenly stopped before we did, leaving the car half-suspended. So I walked the last 10 minutes to the clinic through the rain. An amiable drunk later helped us pry the car free.<p>

Mr.Bill

Post #5 of 6 (1521 views)

Shortcut

scorpion stings

Can't Post |
When I first arrived here it was "The Big Issue"
What happens if we get stung, will we "make it" to the next day!!
I sorta seem to remember wearing construction boots to make the late night jaunt
to the bathroom. But then I thought to myself "what if their in my boots"???
So I said to myself at 3:42 in the morning.......I'm going for it without the boot!!<p>You do however over time start to let your guard down, it was easier
to do so after the first couple of sighting in the house.<p>People get stung, some more often then others.
Does it hurt?? Yes, but not really anymore then a bee sting.<p>If your biten, keep an anti-histamin<sp in the house, if it's a child get to a clinic
for a shot, as it's much more dangerous.

Jean

Post #6 of 6 (1521 views)

Shortcut

scorpion stings

Can't Post |
Depends on how many people you know. If your careful and have your place sprayed, where slippers in the house, you are not likely to have any problems.<p>People have lived here for years without having any problems. <p>If you are stung, you go to the doctor get a shot and put up with some pain for a day or so.<p>If you are allergic to animal?? stings, then you probably are the type that carries a kit with you.<p>It's not really that big a worry.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4