Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

Ed Kammin

Nov 30, 1919, 12:00 AM

Post #1 of 7 (1802 views)

Shortcut

Does anyone know when, or if, high-speed internet service is coming to lakeside? nfm

Can't Post |
nfm

Jean

Post #2 of 7 (1797 views)

Shortcut

Does anyone know when, or if, high-speed internet service is coming to lakeside? nfm

Can't Post |
What is wrong with high speed wireless??

Ed Kammin

Post #3 of 7 (1802 views)

Shortcut

The problem with wireless service is . . .

Can't Post |
The cost. Here in Canada, high speed service costs me CDN$40 a month, which would be about US$27. I don't know the cost in the U.S., but I assume it would be about the same. I belive the cost of wireless service (in Mexico or anywhere else) would be much more.

Jean

Post #4 of 7 (1799 views)

Shortcut

The cost

Can't Post |
I have wireless and the cost is $40 US a month. If you want gringo services in Mexico then you have to pay for them. Until infrastructure is built up the costs will be higher than there are currently in Canada or the US.

Ed Kammin

Post #5 of 7 (1798 views)

Shortcut

The cost

Can't Post |
I had heard that the cost of wireless service in the lakeside area was about $1000 for installation, and at least $100 a month for service. The price you mention does not sound out of line, either for North America, or Telmex's service elsewhere in Mexico. Could you please let me know the name, address etc. (also, their website and e-mail address, if they have one) of the service provider?

Jean

Post #6 of 7 (1804 views)

Shortcut

The cost

Can't Post |
My initial cost was $680 and my monthly cost for a 126K feed is $40. I believe it is $60 for 256K but do check with Laguna on that. They are my provider. The do have a website at(see below). You can contact them through that site. <p>My decision to go wireless consisted of two things. One was a business decision but the main reason was the cost of being on dialup. I am on the net 8-10 hours a day. You are allowed 100 phone calls a month with your phone service. With dial up my phone line was constantly tied up so I had to consider a second phone line. That would cost approximately $17 a month. Even without going with an extra phone line, calls to my ISP and friends were causing me to go over the 100 calls a month. After the first 100 I was being charged 1.4 pesos for each call. You can not tie up an ISP phone line all day so usually after a certain long period online you are kicked off and you have to call in again. Not to mention that in inclimate weather here you lose your connection and it is also not unusual that you can not get a good connection all the time because of the phone lines here being old and not up to the extreme weather conditions at different times of the year. If you don't get a good connection then you must dial in again and hope for a better line.<p>Bottom line was that I figured the wireless would pay for itself in a short time. Secondly there are two of us online and we are networked together sharing the line. So, having a 126K line made even more sense.<p>Laguna's link is below but feel free to post any other questions you might have.

Henry

Post #7 of 7 (1799 views)

Shortcut

Makes sense.

Can't Post |
No Message

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4