Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

jennifer rose

Nov 30, 1919, 12:00 AM

Post #1 of 2 (821 views)

Shortcut

A message from the moderator pro tem

Can't Post |
Iím jennifer rose, and Iíve been managing all of the forums, save the Spanish one, during Davidís absence. <p>Everything you said is on the mark, Jean. Youíve got a very good sense of what an electronic message board is all about. FWIW, I didnít delete your post, but you may have been posting while I was in the process of deleting, which made your post fall through the cracks.<p>Some of the posts Ė like the food-talk and the pinto beans Ė are sort of fun, and Iíve left them up because no oneís getting hurt. Are they going to have the shelf life of a Hostess Twinkie? Probably not. <p>I live in Morelia, and frankly I could care less whether thereís a wall encircling Ajijic or somewhere within its environs. The discussion about the wall descended into name-calling, posts which could be considered defamatory, and posts which did not contribute whatsoever to any reasoned discussion of the wall. Some folks seem to think that the forum is a graffiti-zone, and some seem to engage in the kind of oneupsmanship that my two male Dobermans perform out in the yard. Posts which are simply chat between two individuals setting up coffee or comparing their respective attributes donít contribute to the common good. Iíve deleted a poem twice, because it could possible prove embarrassing or upsetting to the object of the posterís affections. Itís my stance, and itís a conservative one admittedly, that itís better not to chance offending anyone. There have been posts on this forum, and others, which identify anotherís home phone number or details about their absence, which I consider an invasion of their privacy. And Iíve deleted those. <p>And, along with that, frequently meritorious posts are deleted by necessity as part of pruning out the irrelevant, irresponsible, and the fluff. Those whoíve written something important which was deleted are, of course, free to repost.<p>Now, Iíve had two guys complain about being deleted. Strangely, neither of their names appeared on any of the deleted posts. I have no way of knowing who ďmeĒ and ďme tooĒ and ďvisitorĒ are. <p>Every online community has its own culture, and each moderator has his or her own style. I make no apologies for mine. There are fora in which idle chatter, name-calling, and free reign prevails. This isnít one of them. Those whoíre interested in that kind of forum should post there. Or take their free-wheeling, unmoderated, discussion over coffee f2f. <p>Posting to a webboard is not unlike writing a letter to the editor of a print publication. Some pieces get published, and some donít. And Hustler entertains an entirely different standard than the Christian Science Monitor. <p>Letís keep the The Ajijic/Lake Chapala Community Forum an information-rich and intelligent discourse.

Rolly

Nov 30, 1919, 12:00 AM

Post #2 of 2 (822 views)

Shortcut

Amen!...nomsg

Can't Post |
No Message

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4