Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

alex .

Sep 24, 2004, 7:02 AM

Post #1 of 18 (2093 views)

Shortcut

Mexico = Mayberry RFD ?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Is that why folks choose Mexico? They think that life is propping their feet up, sippin a lemonade and chattin' with Goober down at the fillin' station? (or was is Cutter?, I forget.)
The Mexico I know is much more vibrant than that, some folks are going to be sorely disappointed.
Alex

(This post was edited by alex . on Sep 24, 2004, 7:26 AM)

Texwheel

Sep 24, 2004, 8:34 AM

Post #2 of 18 (2062 views)

Shortcut

Re: [alex .] Mexico = Mayberry RFD ?

Alex, relax. Take it slower.

Maybe that ole guy in front of you at the check out line needed to talk to someone. Maybe he would have appreciated it if you had joined in the conversation, helped him, befriended him...that might have "made his day"... Maybe he'd have bought you a coffee or drink and you'd have made a new friend. What a concept.

Is all you do is bitch?

And for those who don't like Mexico...they can go somewhere else! Another new concept.
Tom Williams
Georgetown, Texas
Texwheel@aol.com

bournemouth

Sep 24, 2004, 8:42 AM

Post #3 of 18 (2058 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Texwheel] Mexico = Mayberry RFD ?

Tom: Go and read some of Alex's articles in the archives of Mexico Connect. He has a different life and a different take on Mexico which I, for one, really appreciate. I hope you will enjoy them too.

Texwheel

Sep 24, 2004, 8:51 AM

Post #4 of 18 (2053 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Mexico = Mayberry RFD ?

I am only replying to his most recent post, and I don't want to research his previous posts. Somewhat like a person in a check out line, if one acts like a a certain way in one circumstance, I could care less if he acted different in the past. He has made a new presentation of himself.

As people pilot their grocery carts, so do they drive their cars.
Tom Williams
Georgetown, Texas
Texwheel@aol.com

(This post was edited by Texwheel on Sep 24, 2004, 8:58 AM)

alex .

Sep 24, 2004, 9:03 AM

Post #5 of 18 (2044 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Texwheel] If I take it slower,

then I'll get run over. You probably wish I'd actually stop at stop signs as well 8<)
There are so many things to see and do that I cannot imagine moving to Mexico to sit around, read books , and wait to die.
And, believe it or not, I am NOT lonely.
Alex

(This post was edited by alex . on Sep 24, 2004, 9:04 AM)

jennifer rose

Sep 24, 2004, 9:12 AM

Post #6 of 18 (2035 views)

Shortcut

Re: [alex .] Mexico = Mayberry RFD ?

Can't Post |
    Oh, Alex! How many times have we heard the anthem of Mexican family values, slapping together tortillas on a daily basis for the household meal, washing out the laundry by hand in the neighborhood stream, gazing upwards in gratitude for special treats bestowed upon us by well-meaning foreigners, just me and my guitar and the moon above, a little grass shack and a burro, the noble peasantís lot?
A tremendous number, seduced by the popular literature, think that a move to Mexico will mean a simpler life surrounded by ancient family values, a life harking back to Mayberry. Cobblestone streets and streaming bougainvillea. Back to nature. Just as many people seem to think that Mexico is a country of Chilean proportions, a 10-km.strip surrounded by sandy beaches with a few cacti in the middle, there are those who seem to think that Mexico is a quaint village of Ajijic or San Miguel de Allende. But theyíve never strolled down the avenues of Polanco, set foot in a modern fraccionamiento populated entirely by Mexicans, or stood in line at the single open counter at HomeMart where some bumbling fool canít find his pocket change. Or visited one of Cinepolisí multiplexes. A good lot of them know only those Mexicans in the service industries. The reality is that more of Mexico resembles D.F., Guadalajara, Monterey, and Juarez. Iím real sorry to disappoint you, but if I wanted to live the life of Mayberry RFD, Iíd move to Arkansas. Or North Carolina. Or Oklahoma.

Texwheel

Sep 24, 2004, 9:33 AM

Post #7 of 18 (2023 views)

Shortcut

Re: [alex .] If I take it slower,

Alex,

I don't intend to be argumentative, but I do hope you at least do a "rolling stop" at stop signs.

And I did not say a thing , at all, about your social life. That's your problem. Or not. I suggested that the old man might have gained by your understanding and kindness, which you apparently do not possess, and that in the process you might have gained a friend. I don't know a human on earth who could not use another friend, but then maybe you're an exception.

So as I said, if the lifestyle is too slow, go elsewhere. Or shop elsewhere.
Tom Williams
Georgetown, Texas
Texwheel@aol.com

bournemouth

Sep 24, 2004, 9:40 AM

Post #8 of 18 (2016 views)

Shortcut

Not posts Tom but articles - listed under A Day in the Life - Alex Vinson - if you'd take the time to look at them you'd get a better impression than the one you clearly have now.

jennifer rose

Sep 24, 2004, 9:54 AM

Post #9 of 18 (2010 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
For those who arenít familiar with Alex, his real name is Alex Vinson, and his articles can be found at http://www.mexconnected.com/mex_/mauthorsindex.html#U. For even more about the life and times of Alex, search these fora. Heís an old-timer.
If I were to have met Alex at an airport lounge at LAX a decade ago, Iíd say that our lives werenít that much different. At least we could count a common bond as Yuppies and Boomers. The paths heís taken in Mexico differ from mine. We all have different motivations for visiting or living in Mexico, and we all have unique experiences. Each of us has a different Mexico.

Texwheel

Sep 24, 2004, 9:58 AM

Post #10 of 18 (2009 views)

Shortcut

Bournemouth,

You don't understand, do you? I don't care about his past life, past postings or past writing.

His current posting is what I am replying to. And I have been kind in expressing my view...I edited my last post twice to tone it down.

My point is that...well, I've expressed it, so I'll pass for now.
Tom Williams
Georgetown, Texas
Texwheel@aol.com

Carron

Sep 24, 2004, 1:17 PM

Post #11 of 18 (1960 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Mexico = Mayberry RFD ?

Thank you on behalf of all us "old timers". We still have much to offer newer subscribers. What more than the fact that many of us have actually lived in Mexico for years and still plan to continue on that path?

I am so settled into my life here that I often can't even remember how I dealt with the initial problems of moving down; and if I had it to do over again, I would probably have to depend on the kindness of new friends on these forums.

However, those of us who have actually fulfilled our dreams of living, working, and/or retiring in Mexico have different problems and perceptions from those who are still planning for the big move or are coming down for longer and longer visits. Those of us who have actually moved down and stayed for a while also have different realities of everyday life in Mexico, having learned what to realistically expect and what we will just have to let go, and the longer we live the life the more it has the potential to change us. The longer we live here, the more connections we are likely to have with Mexicans who move from being friends to being family members.

I too have been e-friends with Alex for almost as long as we have both been members of Mex Connect (lots of years) and I agree that the best way to "know" and understand anyone on the forums--Madre de Dios, how does one write the plural (plura?? plurams??) of forum?--is to read through the archives and the articles.

There is too much valuable experience here to dismiss a loyal, interesting, and witty old timer on the basis of one post.

Papirex

Sep 24, 2004, 2:31 PM

Post #12 of 18 (1934 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Carron] Mexico = Mayberry RFD ?

Forums and fora are both correct for the plural of forum.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

Carron

Sep 24, 2004, 2:46 PM

Post #13 of 18 (1929 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RexC] Mexico = Mayberry RFD ?

Thanks to all for the spelling info. (I got PM'd on the correct spelling as well.) I was really more concerned with the content of my post as well as Alex's, and in support of searching the archives for articles by those of us who have lived here for a long time.

Don't be so quick to judge each of us by our most recent post! (Even if we can't spell for---------)

bournemouth

Sep 24, 2004, 3:13 PM

Post #14 of 18 (1919 views)

Shortcut

The rub is that the people making judgemental calls, get judged on their own posts - what goes round, comes round!

Texwheel

Sep 24, 2004, 3:14 PM

Post #15 of 18 (1917 views)

Shortcut

Sorry all,

If one cannot withdraw or clarify an offensive posting, then it should not be up to you or me to discuss. They should explain. As would I if I were the one who offended. In a heart beat. Alex?
Tom Williams
Georgetown, Texas
Texwheel@aol.com

johanson

Sep 24, 2004, 7:16 PM

Post #16 of 18 (1876 views)

Shortcut

I have lived in Ajijic so long that I really enjoy my visits up North to witness that vibrant fast paced life one sees on the streets in GTA, Seattle, SF, Vancouver, etc. I have to get that occasional fix when living in quaint Ajijic.

However I can also drive into Guadalajara and visit the Liverpool Shopping Mall for example and get the same feeling. It's just like being in any big city anywhere in the world. You won't believe this though. I don't know whether it was a joke or serious, but on the wall, in an area that was about to be expanded into at Liverpoolís was a "HOOTER'S" sign; really. It was a well painted sign, and therefe it may just not be a joke. It's on the second floor, near the food pavilion.

Whatís the world coming to? (smile)

(This post was edited by johanson on Sep 24, 2004, 7:19 PM)

Carron

Sep 25, 2004, 8:21 AM

Post #17 of 18 (1823 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Mexico = Mayberry RFD ?

It's coming to Mexico!!!

alex .

Sep 27, 2004, 7:28 AM

Post #18 of 18 (1709 views)

Shortcut

My objection is not about Mayberry- type settings, rather Mayberry-type behavior in high paced ,modern settings where you gotta get with the program.

I'm thinking that the "old guy" reference is offensive. OK, replace the character with "young guy" and the reference to the coin purse with "rummaging through his backpack, looking for the crumpled bills crammed somewhere between the skateboard and the walkman." Replace complaining about where one hurts with bragging about the knarly road rash that I got the last time I bit the dust on the longboard, dude. I dunno, use artistic license here, the concept is still the same.

As far as rejecting the opportunity to make a new friend, you are correct assuming that I am different, that I am heartless, and uncaring. Those are some of my endearing qualities. I had posted earlier that I am not interested in making new friends (grand faloon). But I'll make an exception for you, Tex

Alex

(This post was edited by alex . on Sep 27, 2004, 7:37 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4