Forums  > General > General Forum
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Esteban

Sep 19, 2004, 11:10 AM

Post #26 of 42 (2589 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] WalMart, SchmalMart

| Private Reply
Walmart, Soriannas, Mega, Gigante......you have to shop them all if you want the best deals. Even though Ley's may have some better deals not to speak of the central mercado, the various fruterias etc. It can take a whole day if you are into bargain shopping. One thing I did see at our local Sorianna was a 1/2 goat for sale in the meat market. Don't see that too often up north. I expect, Ley's/Safeway to start building a new store soon to keep up with the competition.

Marlene

Sep 19, 2004, 1:12 PM

Post #27 of 42 (2573 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
You won't miss Walmart at all once Soriana opens. We have 2 Soriana locations here in Mazatlán and I prefer them because I like the big wide aisles plus it seems laid out in a more organized fashion. They have a separate cashier right in the liquor department so you don't get into a mess over the liquor sale hours or shelf/code prices at the main cashier and have to wait for price check, something different from Walmart.

Soriana makes a great anchor tenant and good little shops, food outlets and movie theatres have surrounded them here. Walmart is stand alone and not far up the street from one Soriana location.

I can understand why you all would be looking forward to that project being completed. It will make a nice difference to everyone in the area for all the reasons you mentioned. The one policy they have which I applaud is a way for various age groups to make money.

On certain days of the week they have small grade school children looking oh so proud and grown up in their little freshly laundered uniforms bagging the groceries, and on another day they will have all senior citizens doing the same thing (REALLY senior!). Their faces just light up when they receive the grocery bagging tip, which is all they are working for of course (so to newcomers, don't forget to tip - they aren't on salary, same as the parking lot attendants aren't). They bag your groceries, receive your tip, then sit down until their turn comes around again.
The supervisor of the grocery baggers rotation has the patience of a saint, because both age groups tend to wander off into the mall!

Bubba

Sep 19, 2004, 3:40 PM

Post #28 of 42 (2554 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] WalMart, SchmalMart

| Private Reply
Esteban's advice to shop around is good depending on where you live in Mexico and the availability or unavailability of a selection of competitive outlets. Here at lake Chapala, Soriana will be the only local mega-store. To get to the competition requires that you tack on the cost of the 150 to 200 kilometer round trip drive to the respective store locations of that competition in metro Guadalajara. Even if you live in a big city as does Esteban, it is complicated. Today, my favorite supermarket in Guadalajara is the Gigante in Plaza Terranova since it serves the wealthy Lomas De Providencia neighborhood and its inventories reflect that fact. On the other hand, Gigante markets in poorer neighborhoods probably have better prices so shopping around solely for pricing can be tedious and costly in such a big city.

There will always be reason to shop in Guadalajara for Lakesiders whether it be at Costco or one of the many gourmet food specialty shops scattered about the city. However, WalMart is unlikely to be a draw for anyone anymore with its emphasis on inventory turn and lowest-common-denominator offerings coupled with the need to drive to the city and incur that expense.

One other thing. If Lakesiders shop at Soriana locally, they will be supporting their community and the many locals who will be employed there. I'm sold.

Delia

Sep 19, 2004, 7:40 PM

Post #29 of 42 (2525 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Latest update on the the WalMart near Plaza Palomar. Sign is up saying WalMart SuperCenter. Huge sign for job applications and interviews so it's not too far away. Note, coming from Joco it is just past the Siemans plant-same side of the street. From the other direction a little more than 5 minutes from the Home Depot.

johanson

Sep 19, 2004, 8:02 PM

Post #30 of 42 (2517 views)

Shortcut

Re: [JohnO] WalMart, SchmalMart

| Private Reply
John I guess I don't know where Plasa Palomar or Seimans is. But I sure know where Home Depot is. Are you saying that the new Wall*Mart is 5 minutes South of the Home Depot, South of the Periferico? (spelling)

Cool.

Now if only Costco would open up a new store closer to Lake Chapala, as Costco management has promised me now for 5 years.

Don

Sep 19, 2004, 8:06 PM

Post #31 of 42 (2517 views)

Shortcut

Re: [JohnO] WalMart, SchmalMart

| Private Reply
If you go even further south, on the opposite side of the street of the new Walmart construction, you will find the construction underway for a very large "Öutlet" mall. Will be intersesting to see what stores go into this new mall.

Mazatlan RLibrary

Sep 19, 2004, 9:55 PM

Post #32 of 42 (2506 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Reading these threads, day after day, made me wonder: Did all you people shop at Walmart in the States? I sure didn't! Nor did my friends. It looked like a pretty low class operation, with cheesy cheap merchandise. I bought my groceries at Safeway or the farmers' market, and certainly wouldn't even consider buying clothes or furniture there! Now that they are in Mexico this is a big deal? I do agree with Jerry about the impact of their labor practices, which lead to killing off the competition, but why is Walmart such a big deal here when it's probably the last place you would visit in the States? Just wondering. Dee

jennifer rose

Sep 19, 2004, 10:15 PM

Post #33 of 42 (2503 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mazatlan RLibrary] WalMart, SchmalMart

|
Walmart in Mexico bears little resemblance to Walmart in the US. Sure, when Walmart came to Morelia in November 1997, I swore and be damned that I was going to shop there. But that attitude lasted about a week. And when the produce aisle yielded up fresh cranberries, chestnuts, wild rice and Boston lettuce, and the meat counter lamp chops, I changed my tune in a hurry. About the same time Aurrera converted to Aurrera Bodega, and it just wasn't the same old Aurrera that I used to patronize. (Yes, I know it's the same store.) The parking was better at Walmart anyway.

Where I live, Walmart and Costco are the only stores which always have Boston lettuce. And a variety of other lettuces. That's important to me.

The addition of a Cafe Europa local, the cable company and a dry cleaning place at Morelia's Walmart has made it even more appealing.

The clothing and other departments aren't important to me, so I don't go into those departments. I did pick up an HP scanner once at Walmart for about 30% less than the same model was going for at OfficeDepot.

There are a lot of things we do and places we patronize in Mexico that we didn't in the US. I never ordered a Domino's pizza in the US; today it's on my speed-dial.

Walmart's not going to kill off the corner abarrote in Mexico. Or the tianguis.

sfmacaws

Sep 19, 2004, 11:05 PM

Post #34 of 42 (2494 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Well, I do shop at WalMart in the US. I admit that I'd never been in one until I retired and we decided to live in our RV and travel. In my working days I shopped at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's.

WalMart is beloved by RVers for many reasons one of which is that they permit you to park overnight in their lots when you are traveling. Another reason is that it's difficult to shop in a new store all the time, it's hard to find things and quality is inconsistent. I can walk into any Super WalMart and find the produce dept, the low-carb aisle, the eggs, yogurt and other basics that I buy often. The meat is pretty good and it's consistent. I don't like spending hours shopping and I particularly don't like having to search for the basic stuff I buy every week. It's great to buy from farmers markets along the way and we do that whenever we can. Last week we stayed overnight at a WalMart in Goshen Indiana and were parked next to the Amish buggy barn. There was a lot of buggy traffic coming to WalMart and the barn was full all day. We also went to an Amish meat market, Yoder's, and the steaks we got there were definitely better than any I've gotten at WalMart. It's the convenience and the consistency that make WalMart an easy place to shop. I also shop in WalMart in Mexico for pretty much the same reasons. When I have the option, I do prefer CostCo because the produce and the meat are better.

WalMart and other superstores are how it is and how it is going to be. All this wailing and gnashing of teeth over them is ridiculous in my book. As others have said on this thread, they bring better quality and better prices to the people they serve and it is elitest pretension to wish those people back to the old way with poorer products and higher prices.

Using Safeway as an example of a higher class market is a real joke, the produce and meat are better at any Super WalMart than at any Safeway I've been in.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Ed and Fran

Sep 20, 2004, 6:58 AM

Post #35 of 42 (2472 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Mazatlan RLibrary asked:

"Did all you people shop at Walmart in the States? I sure didn't! Nor did my friends. It looked like a pretty low class operation, with cheesy cheap merchandise. I bought my groceries at Safeway or the farmers' market, and certainly wouldn't even consider buying clothes or furniture there! .......why is Walmart such a big deal here when it's probably the last place you would visit in the States? "

Okay, I confess, we shopped a lot at WalMart in the States. It fit in very well with our budget. I guess I slipped through the screening process for membership on this forum. I apologize for my cheesy cheap clothes. Guess I'll just slink off and find a more low class forum to hang out at.

Oh the shame of it all........

Ed & Fran

Uncle Jack

Sep 20, 2004, 7:26 AM

Post #36 of 42 (2466 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ed and Fran] WalMart, SchmalMart

| Private Reply
Fran and Ed, I share your shame and embarrassment.

I, too, must confess........My name is Uncle Jack and I'm a WalMartaholic.

Oh, dear God, now everyone will know!

Rolly

Sep 20, 2004, 9:28 AM

Post #37 of 42 (2439 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Uncle Jack] WalMart, SchmalMart

| Private Reply
Smile ... Smile ... Smile

I think we MalMart shoppers have lots of class. It may be low, but it's still class.

Rolly Pirate

Mazatlan RLibrary

Sep 20, 2004, 9:42 AM

Post #38 of 42 (2438 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] WalMart, SchmalMart

| Private Reply
Sorry folks. My earlier post was pretty rude. Guess I was in a bad mood. You gave some great answers, and I am hanging my head in shame. Dee

Uncle Jack

Sep 20, 2004, 10:27 AM

Post #39 of 42 (2432 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Not to worry! The real purpose of all of these forums is to share information, opinions, and, hopefully, have a little fun.

uj

Ed and Fran

Sep 20, 2004, 4:40 PM

Post #40 of 42 (2381 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
No problem. I can remember a time when I wasn't a WalMart fan either. Times change.

I don't have to worry about patronizing WalMart de Mexico too much, there isn't one within 200 kms of where we live! :-)

Regards

E&F

Marlene

Sep 20, 2004, 11:34 PM

Post #41 of 42 (2340 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
What? After I hastily gave away my Jacqueline Smith clothing collection today?

tonyburton

Sep 22, 2004, 6:28 PM

Post #42 of 42 (2277 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I hestitate to lengthen this very long thread, but thought some readers might still be interested in an article entitled, "Wal-Mart: What a Bargain! The real cost of shopping at the big box", which first appeared in Terrain in Summer 2004, and was reprinted in the latest Utne Reader. The article can be seen at: http://www.terrainmagazine.org/...20What%20A%20Bargain
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4