Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Southern Mexico

Chuck Johnson

Sep 30, 2002, 9:54 AM

Post #1 of 11 (9374 views)

Shortcut

Ferry confusing...

Can't Post |
For those of you following the development of the Tampa to Mexico ferry, it just got a little more confusing. Like others, I've been watching the Scotia Prince website at www.yucatanexpress.com for information on prices and reservations. I'd called and was told that they'd have the information sometime in October.<p>Then I read a recent post about the same service being flogged on www.mexicoferry.com, a website run by an outfit called Scand America. They mention the Scotia Prince (the boat itself), have pricing and claim to take reservations. So I called Scotia Prince again and guess what? They never heard of this other website! And they still don't have information on prices nor the computers to take reservations.<p>Something is not quite right. I'd strongly suggest waiting before booking, especially if Scotia Prince is not taking reservations. Your credit card is likely to get dinged for a service which may or may not materialize. Word up.<p>

Texmexman

Sep 30, 2002, 1:57 PM

Post #2 of 11 (9337 views)

Shortcut

Ferry confusing...

Can't Post |
: For those of you following the development of the Tampa to Mexico ferry, it just got a little more confusing. Like others, I've been watching the Scotia Prince website at www.yucatanexpress.com for information on prices and reservations. I'd called and was told that they'd have the information sometime in October.<p>: Then I read a recent post about the same service being flogged on www.mexicoferry.com, a website run by an outfit called Scand America. They mention the Scotia Prince (the boat itself), have pricing and claim to take reservations. So I called Scotia Prince again and guess what? They never heard of this other website! And they still don't have information on prices nor the computers to take reservations.<p>: Something is not quite right. I'd strongly suggest waiting before booking, especially if Scotia Prince is not taking reservations. Your credit card is likely to get dinged for a service which may or may not materialize. Word up.
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////<p>Does either place have a Houston TX phone number? If so please post it for me. It is too early to determine
if this is a scam or not.<p>

Dale

Sep 30, 2002, 2:26 PM

Post #3 of 11 (9334 views)

Shortcut

Hey Texmexman, I need to talk to you about Blankets !!

Can't Post |
Ref a post about a month ago!!! Is there an e-mail address that I can contact you? Thanks, Dale<p>

keith

Sep 30, 2002, 7:47 PM

Post #4 of 11 (9338 views)

Shortcut

maybe this will help (or further confuse)

Can't Post |
MEXICO FERRY UPDATE - (3 replies)<p>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<p>TAMPA to MEXICO FERRY:www.mexicoferry.com
I spoke with the agent in TARPON SPRINGS (Tampa)and was told that I could now make a credit card reservation with 50% down.
There was a ferry like this about 4 years ago.It ran for a few months.The agent in Tarpon Springs said the old boat went out of service because the ship was not able to commit to permenant service.FULL SCHEDULE AND PRICES www.mexicoferry.com<p>
benitojuarez<p>[Mon 30 Sep, 17:20]
PST (Gumly Gumly -17) 1. NOPE<p>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<p>do not make reservations with some stranger you do not know for something like a ferry ride..they are not that crowded...this is from an older gentleman who has seen his share of scam artists.<p>
JuaquinBehindu<p>[Mon 30 Sep, 17:41]
PST (Gumly Gumly -17) 2. I live in Florida<p>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<p>I am considering reserving this ticket but I will investigate more before giving my credit card number.This FERRY does offer "ferry/hotel" packages and offer many levels of class.It seems like more of a "Cruise" than a typical ferry ride.<p>
anyone101<p>[Mon 30 Sep, 18:47]
PST (Gumly Gumly -17) 3. There is a number of <p>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<p>posts on this subject on here. As of now, the "ferry" only exist on paper and computer screen. Buy the ticket only after it materializes. Meaning when there is an actual boat making the sailings between Tampa and Cancun (or wherever). <p>How do you know if it will materializes? What happen if they aren't operational by the time you're travelling? Will they put you on a chartered flight then or disappear with your money? What are their refund policies? Why it hasn't even materialize for a long ass time? <p>It's a risky business. It's almost better to show up on date of your travel and see if the ferry is running and pay right before you hop on. If not then you're NOT going to Cancun at all as airfares can be very expensive for last minute travel. Therefore, you lose valuable vacation time there. So it's your call. Either way you lose time and time waits for nobody.<p>I say forget the ferry and book the all inclusive package through a reputable and well established company. <p>"Thing that make you go hmmmm" <p>

JackS

Sep 30, 2002, 8:12 PM

Post #5 of 11 (9332 views)

Shortcut

Don't bet the farm(or ranch, in your case)

Can't Post |
Hóla, Keith.
This ferry thing has been up and down more times than the bus to Urique. Speaking of which, only another month to go; everything all arranged? <p>: MEXICO FERRY UPDATE - (3 replies)<p>: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------<p>: TAMPA to MEXICO FERRY:www.mexicoferry.com
: I spoke with the agent in TARPON SPRINGS (Tampa)and was told that I could now make a credit card reservation with 50% down.
: There was a ferry like this about 4 years ago.It ran for a few months.The agent in Tarpon Springs said the old boat went out of service because the ship was not able to commit to permenant service.FULL SCHEDULE AND PRICES www.mexicoferry.com<p>:
: benitojuarez<p>: [Mon 30 Sep, 17:20]
: PST (Gumly Gumly -17) 1. NOPE<p>: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------<p>: do not make reservations with some stranger you do not know for something like a ferry ride..they are not that crowded...this is from an older gentleman who has seen his share of scam artists.<p>:
: JuaquinBehindu<p>: [Mon 30 Sep, 17:41]
: PST (Gumly Gumly -17) 2. I live in Florida<p>: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------<p>: I am considering reserving this ticket but I will investigate more before giving my credit card number.This FERRY does offer "ferry/hotel" packages and offer many levels of class.It seems like more of a "Cruise" than a typical ferry ride.<p>:
: anyone101<p>: [Mon 30 Sep, 18:47]
: PST (Gumly Gumly -17) 3. There is a number of <p>: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------<p>: posts on this subject on here. As of now, the "ferry" only exist on paper and computer screen. Buy the ticket only after it materializes. Meaning when there is an actual boat making the sailings between Tampa and Cancun (or wherever). <p>: How do you know if it will materializes? What happen if they aren't operational by the time you're travelling? Will they put you on a chartered flight then or disappear with your money? What are their refund policies? Why it hasn't even materialize for a long ass time? <p>: It's a risky business. It's almost better to show up on date of your travel and see if the ferry is running and pay right before you hop on. If not then you're NOT going to Cancun at all as airfares can be very expensive for last minute travel. Therefore, you lose valuable vacation time there. So it's your call. Either way you lose time and time waits for nobody.<p>: I say forget the ferry and book the all inclusive package through a reputable and well established company. <p>: "Thing that make you go hmmmm" <p>

keith

Sep 30, 2002, 10:36 PM

Post #6 of 11 (9328 views)

Shortcut

yep (nmsg)

Can't Post |

Chuck Johnson

Oct 2, 2002, 9:52 AM

Post #7 of 11 (9332 views)

Shortcut

Ferry confusing...

Can't Post |
Turns out www.mexicoferry.com is run by a travel agency (Scand America). Their pricing is suspect because Scotia Prince which runs the OFFICIAL website at www.yucatanexpress.com says that they haven't finalized pricing yet. It was implied by the staff at the call centre that it would likely be cheaper to book with them when they go on-line with prices and reservations in the next two weeks. My humble opinion is not to book anything yet, especially not with a credit card deposit.<p>

george

Oct 2, 2002, 10:34 AM

Post #8 of 11 (9338 views)

Shortcut

Ferry confusing...

Can't Post |
:<p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p>
I referred the question to the SP Times (I quote them because they cover Tampa as well as the Tampa Tribune and you can search their on line archives for free(SPtimes.com) and the Trib costs money) Anyway for what its worth I'm forwarding their reply to my inquiry....<p><p>
Mr. Brennan,<p>I cover the port of Tampa for the Times and got your e-mail on the Mexico
ferry. That mexicoferry.com site is promoting the trips that Scotia Prince
says it will sail from here to the Yucatan starting Nov. 22.<p>This is the first place that I've seen them advertising prices and
(apparently) taking reservations. I'm checking around but don't have any
reason to suspect it's a scam at this point.<p>Please let me know if you find out anything otherwise. Thanks for writing.<p>steve huettel
huettel@sptimes.com
813-226-3384<p><p><p><p><p> : For those of you following the development of the Tampa to Mexico ferry, it just got a little more confusing. Like others, I've been watching the Scotia Prince website at www.yucatanexpress.com for information on prices and reservations. I'd called and was told that they'd have the information sometime in October.<p>: : Then I read a recent post about the same service being flogged on www.mexicoferry.com, a website run by an outfit called Scand America. They mention the Scotia Prince (the boat itself), have pricing and claim to take reservations. So I called Scotia Prince again and guess what? They never heard of this other website! And they still don't have information on prices nor the computers to take reservations.<p>: : Something is not quite right. I'd strongly suggest waiting before booking, especially if Scotia Prince is not taking reservations. Your credit card is likely to get dinged for a service which may or may not materialize. Word up.
: ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////<p>: Does either place have a Houston TX phone number? If so please post it for me. It is too early to determine
: if this is a scam or not.<p>

george

Oct 2, 2002, 10:56 AM

Post #9 of 11 (9331 views)

Shortcut

Ferry confusing...

Can't Post |
<p><p><p>
Just got off the phone to the mexicoferry.com people and I quote roughly "We are an authorized booking agent for the Scotia Prince(the ferry to Mexico). Our site is up and running now and the Yucatan Express site should be up and running by next Tuesday (8 Sep 02). Either site may be contacted at that time. MexicoFerry.com does not have a surcharge. What they quote you is the actual cost. Hope this helps....<p><p><p><p><p>
those of you following the development of the Tampa to Mexico ferry, it just got a little more confusing. Like others, I've been watching the Scotia Prince website at www.yucatanexpress.com for information on prices and reservations. I'd called and was told that they'd have the information sometime in October.<p>: : Then I read a recent post about the same service being flogged on www.mexicoferry.com, a website run by an outfit called Scand America. They mention the Scotia Prince (the boat itself), have pricing and claim to take reservations. So I called Scotia Prince again and guess what? They never heard of this other website! And they still don't have information on prices nor the computers to take reservations.<p>: : Something is not quite right. I'd strongly suggest waiting before booking, especially if Scotia Prince is not taking reservations. Your credit card is likely to get dinged for a service which may or may not materialize. Word up.
: ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////<p>: Does either place have a Houston TX phone number? If so please post it for me. It is too early to determine
: if this is a scam or not.<p>

Chuck Johnson

Oct 2, 2002, 12:47 PM

Post #10 of 11 (9329 views)

Shortcut

Ferry confusing...

Can't Post |
Well that maybe so, but I got off the phone with the folks at Yucatan Express (AKA Scotia Prince) and they implied it may be cheaper to book with them when they go on-line. Who knows? I don't think www.mexicoferry.com is a scam, but their website is misleading. It makes them look like they're operating the whole show. Has anyone booked with them yet? I'd be curious to find out if they book right down to the cabin number. That would mean they have access to the real reservation system (which Scotia Prince claims is not yet set up). Otherwise this is a blatant attempt to cash grab pre-bookings. <p>:
: Just got off the phone to the mexicoferry.com people and I quote roughly "We are an authorized booking agent for the Scotia Prince(the ferry to Mexico). Our site is up and running now and the Yucatan Express site should be up and running by next Tuesday (8 Sep 02). Either site may be contacted at that time. MexicoFerry.com does not have a surcharge. What they quote you is the actual cost. Hope this helps....<p><p><p>:
: those of you following the development of the Tampa to Mexico ferry, it just got a little more confusing. Like others, I've been watching the Scotia Prince website at www.yucatanexpress.com for information on prices and reservations. I'd called and was told that they'd have the information sometime in October.<p>: : : Then I read a recent post about the same service being flogged on www.mexicoferry.com, a website run by an outfit called Scand America. They mention the Scotia Prince (the boat itself), have pricing and claim to take reservations. So I called Scotia Prince again and guess what? They never heard of this other website! And they still don't have information on prices nor the computers to take reservations.<p>: : : Something is not quite right. I'd strongly suggest waiting before booking, especially if Scotia Prince is not taking reservations. Your credit card is likely to get dinged for a service which may or may not materialize. Word up.
: : ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////<p>: : Does either place have a Houston TX phone number? If so please post it for me. It is too early to determine
: : if this is a scam or not.<p>

guillermo

Nov 2, 2002, 6:03 PM

Post #11 of 11 (9330 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Chuck Johnson] Ferry confusing...

Can't Post |
Like the rest of you, I've been trying to get some definite information about the ferry from Tampa to Progreso. I've been promised - twice - a brochure when it's ready; and have received an email asking for my telephone number so that I can book a trip. Knowing that this ferry service has already been attempted a few years ago, I am wary, in spite of the "good news" press releases from the state of Florida. I just sent another email to the original scotia prince website, asking point blank what's happening. I'll keep you all posted if and when I hear from them.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4