http://www.venadosdemazatlan.com.mx/VenadosWeb/

kirkswig

Sep 21, 2004, 9:17 PM

Post #2 of 6 (3060 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] Baseball Season - The Venados of Mazatlán

Can't Post | Private Reply
What a great idea!

This is at the stadium that's near Mega, right? I walk to Mega along the Malecon, and when I turn right onto that road that takes you to Mega I see a sign for baseball, at least, I think I remember seeing something like that.

Alright, let me rephrase... where is the stadium?

Thanks.

To boldly go where no wig has gone before.

kirkswig

Sep 26, 2004, 11:17 PM

Post #3 of 6 (3036 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kirkswig] Baseball Season - The Venados of Mazatlán

OK, I get it, this is one of those deals where I'm supposed to figure it out for myself. Fair enough.

I did look at both of the links given. No information as to where the stadium is though. One of the links made me suspicious, since it was just a picture of the Venados' logo. So just now I tried it using IE on the Mac (instead of Safari, which I almost alway use), and sure enough, a bigger website comes up, but it's in Spanish. So I try running it through the Google translator, and what results is an incomprehensible mess.

Almost nobody out there knows how to use JavaScript it seems.

So, I did a Google search. Doh. Should've done that to begin with. The best result I can find is that it's within .25 miles of the Hotel Playa Mazatlan, but then, that's the area I was describing before, and I didn't see any baseball stadium anywhere! And I was looking for it too, cause there's the sign that says "baseball"! (or something like that)

So this is an excuse to take another ride in a Pulmonia. Everybody else in Mexico is missing out. These things rock. Especially in rainstorms... the way you drive a Pulmonia through really deep water it seems is to go as fast as you can, even if it means hydroplaning. Great fun!

That said, they never understand my attempts at Spanish. I tell them the name of the street I'm living on, and then they wander around a bit, and half of the time I have to direct them to where it is. Then they see the sign on the street and they repeat exactly the same name I told them! Like I didn't say that to begin with!!!

Anyways, as baseball provides many opportunities for successful mimes. If my pretending to swing a bat doesn't do it, I'm sure my impression of Bill Buckner letting Mookie Wilson's easy out pass between his legs will.

I'm thinking season ticket. Do they do that?

Do they sell beer?

(you know what the best part is? I can shout obscenities at the umpire, and he won't even know it!)

(right?)

Marlene / Moderator

Sep 27, 2004, 3:55 AM

Post #4 of 6 (3034 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kirkswig] Baseball Season / Making your way home in Centro Historico

Oops, we must all be sleeping. A pulmonia ride is a great idea. The stadium is in the vicinity between the Acuario and the Club Leones and lights can be seen blazing during home game evenings. The games are so much fun, beer IS sold, and there is plenty of other entertainment it seems, besides the game itself. Not sure about season tickets perhaps someone else can answer.

As far as the taxi drivers and Pedregoso Street, yes that does seem to be a problem. Tell them "Compañia Street near Plaza Leones" - they all know that one. Compañia runs off Belisario Dominguez, a main route, and becomes Pedregoso on the left side of the Y just at the base of the hill and that is where you can point them in the right (errr left) direction.

There is a little spot with 4 different street names intersecting in the same general area at the Super Hidalgo so it IS confusing. There is Calles Niño's Heroes, Compañia, Peñuelas, and Pedregoso. My favorite is the intersection of Compana and Compañia on the NE side of Plaza Leones. The whole area is a mail man and delivery nightmare.

Also if anyone can tell me why Niños Heroes runs one way north behind the rear of the Military Hospital to Angel Flores but for the last block of the street the direction apparently changes (without signage of course) and appears to be one way south so cars sort of face each other at Angel Flores for the easterly turn along that one way street. (I discovered this after being forced to reverse on several occasions with the accompanying gestures, however the other side of the park, Compana Street which is supposed to be one way north appears to also function with it's own personality and most cars are parked facing south -more arm waving gestures inspite of arrow pointing south.)

Navigating in Mazatlán is so much fun. I don't go out without my trusty street map since often a street sign will have vanished, never to be seen again. Directional arrows aren't always visible either so I determine that by the direction the other cars are parked along any given street (except by Plaza Leones!) Walking in the downtown is a superior option to driving and locating parking.

(This post was edited by Marlene on Sep 27, 2004, 3:56 AM)

Esteban

Sep 27, 2004, 10:14 AM

Post #5 of 6 (3020 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kirkswig] Baseball Season - The Venados of Mazatlán

Do they sell beer? You bet. There are beer vendors in the stands usually no more than twenty feet away from any seat in the stadium. If you ask for a double, they have a cup that will hold two Pacificos. Last year I think beer was either ten or eleven pesos. There are food booths at the food court or you can buy from vendors who wander the stands. Numbered reserved seats behind home base are sixty pesos. You can't miss the ballpark because from the Malecon, you can see the stadium lights. Go ahead of time, like in the afternoon and buy your tickets. It saves a lot of hassle. These games are much more than a baseball game, it's a huge fiesta and a great place to people watch.

kirkswig

Sep 27, 2004, 9:47 PM

Post #6 of 6 (3008 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene & Esteban] Baseball Season - The Venados of Mazatlán

Muchos gracias! I used to really love baseball in the U.S., but the major leagues got to be too "major" and minor league/amateur games never seemed to be held anywhere close to where I lived.

This may end up being the thing about Mazatlan I like the best.

See you in Octubre!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4