Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

Jerry@Ajijic

Sep 19, 2004, 9:52 AM

Post #1 of 18 (2870 views)

Shortcut

Dell computer

Can't Post | Private Reply
A good friend suggested I buy my new computer from Dell.Mx. I went on line and "custom" ordered just what I wanted on it. The web site gives the options and the cost of each.They charged my credit card, giving me an exchange rate of 11.65. They shipped it by Estafeta to MBE where we have a box. MBE charged nothing for receiving it. I am not selling Dell it is just something good I thought might be nice to pass on.

johanson / Moderator

Sep 19, 2004, 12:07 PM

Post #2 of 18 (2859 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jerry@Ajijic] Dell computer

Jerry. I have heard nothing but good words from folks who ordered from "Dell.mx". Even the local ISP orders many of it's servers from them and the owner swears by his Dell laptop, and teased me terribly when my newer Gateway laptop failed this spring.

Dell is one of the few companies that lets you order a computer in and for Mexico loaded with legal English language software programs. It also has a better reliability rating than most computer companies.

Texwheel

Sep 19, 2004, 12:25 PM

Post #3 of 18 (2856 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Dell computer

Just to throw in my two bits worth for Dell...I have a Dell PC I bought about four years ago and I couldn't be more pleased. Prior to my retirement, I had asked the computer geeks at my company what brand they would recommend for a personal PC, and the answer was Dell or Gateway...ONLY.
Tom Williams
Georgetown, Texas
Texwheel@aol.com

esperanza

Sep 19, 2004, 2:21 PM

Post #4 of 18 (2846 views)

Shortcut

Another two-thumbs-up for the Dell. My desktop model is two years old and (knock wood) is still running like brand new. I love it and will buy another when the time comes--in ten years or so. LOL. What a workhorse!

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

johnv

Sep 19, 2004, 5:13 PM

Post #5 of 18 (2837 views)

Shortcut

My Dell computer is 3 years and 5 months old and has run flawlessly since I purchased it. Dell's technical support has been top rate in my book also. However, there are several reasons that I may not opt for a Dell the next time around. When initially purchasing the unit over the phone 3 and a half years ago in the US as a computer illiterate, I feel that I was somewhat "fast-talked" into what the salesman thought was best for me and also had an expensive extended warantee pushed on me. Very little effort was made on his part to explain anything to me, just a rush/rush push/push type pressure sale. As a result I ended up with a Windows ME operating system when 2000 was available weeks later. I also now have a 933mhz processor which became obsolete within the year. Now 3 and a half years later, even though the computer runs great, it is absolutely obsolete by todays standards. On top of all this I have recently found out that Dell designs there computers so that they are not upgradable. I cannot get a higher capacity CPU because the mother board won't take it. I cannot easily replace the mother board because all the plugs inside the case are "special" and designed to make upgrading a hassle. Dell wants you to buy a new computer, not upgrade. Also the mother board used in my computer is "a joke" according to knowledgable computer builders. The hard drive is some off the wall brand. It has a cheap computer case compared to what's available. None of the interior components used by Dell are as good as what you could get by researching and choosing what you want. I could go on. But my next computer is going to be "custom built with the components I want and will be absolutely upgradable in every way. There are companies that will build the computer for you for US$39 as long as you buy the components from them. Also there is no big mystery to building a computer yourself as basicaly you have about 10 components that are bolted into the case and then connected by cables. This is what Dell does. They choose a bunch of components, not always of the best quality, not manufactured by them, and bolt them into a cheap case, and hook up the cables. So I will be going elsewhere for my next computer, even though my Dell has been a reliable little machine with good tech support.

Jerry@Ajijic

Sep 19, 2004, 8:05 PM

Post #6 of 18 (2820 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johnv] Dell computer

I was really talking about the ease of ordering just what you want instead of gettinga "stock" model or standing in a computer place having a salesman make your selections for you. This way you can look as long as you like, look up things as necessary and then place an order.

As for getting a "custom" computer, I have one of those and it seems to have "some Ford parts, some BMW parts, some VW parts, etc. At times it seems that none of these speak to each other. Dell or any other major computer selling company buys parts from all over but they have to be sure that they are compatible or their warranty work would kill them.

Rolly

Sep 19, 2004, 8:54 PM

Post #7 of 18 (2810 views)

Shortcut

I just came back from a visit NoB with my sister and her computer-professional husband. He just built a computer for her. He and I spent 3 days trying to make it work. When I left, it was mostly working correctly. He and I are both advanced-level computer guys, yet we had hell with that machine. I have built several computers over the years, but not again -- it is becoming more and more difficult to get diverse hardware to work with the newer versions of Windows. If I ever have to buy a new box, it'll say Dell on the front.

Ask Don Adams if he will ever again have a local computer 'expert' build a box for him. He can tell you a story about a computer from hell.

Good luck on a do-it-yourself project.

Rolly Pirate

johnv

Sep 19, 2004, 10:40 PM

Post #8 of 18 (2801 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Dell computer

Well, maybe I should further research this matter before making a decision. Thanks for the replies.

kirkswig

Sep 20, 2004, 12:24 AM

Post #9 of 18 (2792 views)

Shortcut

I've been an advocate of "building your own" for some time now, but I have to say, living in Mexico is likely going to change my perspective. Dell.mx makes it really easy. I've made posts to the contrary here before, but I was wrong...the product line they make available to you here in MX is as near as I can tell identical to what they offer you NOB (one exception: NOB they let you reuse your existing monitor, SOB they make you buy a new one.)

This is also a difficult time to be building your own computer. We're making the transition to 64-bit, and it's driving a lot of people nuts. In my last box I've really only gotten to reuse a couple of components: the case and the hard drives. Upgrade anything else and you end up having to upgrade *everything* else. Want the new CPU? Great. But it won't make sense (or even work) unless you get the latest motherboard which supports that FSB clock and then you need to get the latest RAM too; and then you have to hope it all works. What Rolly says is absolutely right: I've pulled out a lot of hair over these systems. Even if just one component fails it can be very difficult to diagnose; if two fail, or are misconfigured, or you don't know what you're doing (happens to me constantly) then you are in a world of hurt like no other. And you are totaly on your own.

Then you have to ask yourself, why are you doing this? In my case it makes (made) some sense. I wanted to be able to play the latest games on my system, and I wanted to get the best performance for my dollar. So that meant overclocking the system. Dell will never support such a thing, and for most people it isn't advised in any case.

Yes, what you get from Dell won't be easily upgradable. You should be able to add RAM and an extra hard drive but that's it. Then again, why is that really a problem? Unless you're a gamer or you're heavily into multimedia or its equivalent a 3.2GHz Pentium 4 should last you at least until Microsoft comes out with their next cut of Windows (Longhorn), and that won't be 2nd half 2006 at the earliest, and there's no way you'll be able to buy a machine today that will be able to run Longhorn. The hardware requirements Microsoft announced are ludicrous by today's standards.

I've been gung-ho about homebuilt for the last four years. If I were NOB, I'd continue doing it that way. Yeah, it can be frustrating, but it can be fun too. But SOB, man, it's just too hard. Getting stuff shipped here is a real hassle. You'll get bad components when you put these systems together yourself, so now you're talking about having to possibly return some of the stuff you had shipped, and then take delivery again, certainly paying shipping both ways, and possibly paying duty twice for the same product. And then there are the delivery times. Inevitably, when you build your own system you always forget something. NOB, you can have that something FedEx'd next-day-air and have your box working the day after. Here... you're waiting weeks maybe.

And then what if there's something else you forgot? A mounting bracket for the CPU fan, or maybe thermal grease. Then you're maybe waiting another two weeks. And during all this time, you're logging onto a website like pricewatch.com and watching the items that were top-of-the-line when you bought them either drop in price -- often dramatically -- or become 2nd best, or even obsolete.

Is your Spanish good? If so, then you could get involved with the homebuilt/overclocking community here SOB. But even then there's a lag on products available here over MercadoLibre vs. NOB, and when they are available here the price is so much higher.

Dell.mx only offers ATI graphics cards. I'd want an NVidia. Dell.mx, like almost every other vendor, doesn't appear to be too concerned with case noise. I'd like a water-cooled system, esp. if I'm overclocking, to keep the noise to a minimum. Dell.mx won't offer a Linux option instead of Windows. I'd rather not pay for Windows if I don't have to (or more accurately, if I already have an OEM copy I can use.) All of that being said, my next PC is probably going to come from Dell. Building your own already puts you in the position of having to fight all these battles to get the box built. Here in Mexico, those battles double in number and even basic issues become real braintwisters. I'm sitting here dreaming about a watercooled CPU/GPU/Northbridge, meanwhile, I don't even have grounded outlets in my apartment. I'd like to install a wireless router so I can take my laptop to the roof and surf the web while watching people surf the Pacific but I have to worry first about the torrent of virii/worms being hosted by all these Internet cafes in town trying to break into my home network... I'm currently experiencing something an attempt every second!

And then there's the humidity. Oh yes, and the heat. Not to mention the geckos... don't ask me why, but they seem to really like my Mac... I can only imagine being creatures of impeccible taste that they'll take to my homebuilt Athlon system as well. And then what? A homebuilt system tends to have all kinds of unshielded fans and open PCI slots... there's gonna be little bits of gecko all over the place in there. Unless I first gecko-proof my PC. So we're looking at yet another order over the web which will take two weeks to get here.

I know I'm a newbie and I've only been SOB for six weeks or so, but nonetheless I have developed a strong sense about how things work down here and it can be summed up in one simple phrase: Sometimes, Mexico wins.

Dell.mx isn't ideal, at least not for me, but man, the alternative is frightening. When you think about it, we're really lucky to have this option. Imagine what it would be like to ship a Gateway computer across the border and back to have it serviced. Between shipping and duty and insurance and what not you're talking about at least a month and easily $500US, minimum.

Ride the escalator.

To boldly go where no wig has gone before.

Esteban

Sep 21, 2004, 8:32 AM

Post #10 of 18 (2763 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kirkswig] Dell computer

I wonder if you can get a Dell in Mexico, that runs on Linux? NOB they give you that choice. Also, are the keyboards in Mexico, Spanish or English. I prefer a laptop so my questions are aimed at them. Thanks

Rolly

Sep 21, 2004, 9:18 AM

Post #11 of 18 (2757 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] Dell computer

http://www1.la.dell.com/...amp;s=dhs&~ck=mn

Rolly Pirate

kirkswig

Sep 21, 2004, 10:53 PM

Post #12 of 18 (2727 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] Dell computer

Well, if you're getting a laptop, you have it made! All you need to do is a border run, buy the laptop NOB, then bring it back down with you, hassle-free.

Assuming the price NOB vs. SOB were the same, you might even pay for the trip from the IVA you'd save paying.

As for Linux, I don't think they even give you that option NOB. They did once upon a time for servers, maybe they still do. But for laptops and desktops, no. You wouldn't want Linux for a laptop anyways, not yet, or at least, not if you didn't have somebody who *really* knew what they were doing configure it for you. Laptops depend on the little things like power management that sound little but can be really exasperating to get right.

I don't know about the keyboard. Following Rolly's link and clicking a few times reveals an option called 'en Ingles'. I'd guess that's the keyboard they're talking about, but then selecting it also reveals that you'd be getting the English version of Windows XP.

The keyboard's a big deal. The ones I had to use while slumming in the computer cafes are all in Spanish, and boy, what a pain in the tookus they were to use.

Jerry@Ajijic

Sep 22, 2004, 9:09 PM

Post #13 of 18 (2700 views)

Shortcut

The keyboard I just got with my new Dell computer is in English.

johanson / Moderator

Sep 23, 2004, 11:48 AM

Post #14 of 18 (2681 views)

Shortcut

YEP you can get everything in either English or Spanish. That's one of the advantages of ordering from Dell in Mexico. It's just that not every product is sold down here. For example the slim line 4600C is not offered down here because, Dell thought there would not be that much demand for it.

Jerry@Ajijic

Sep 23, 2004, 2:08 PM

Post #15 of 18 (2676 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Dell computer

I was hoping they offered a program in English for DUMMIES but they did not. Too bad I could really use one.

Pete, one other thing I found on the new XP program is a help program. I have one grapics program that I love and it would not load on XP. I went into their programs and found one that helps you to get older programs onto XP. I tried that and it worked fine as from hair.

RickS

Sep 28, 2004, 5:12 PM

Post #16 of 18 (2617 views)

Shortcut

... or frog hair!

kirkswig

Oct 5, 2004, 10:32 PM

Post #17 of 18 (2581 views)

Shortcut

Just wanted to point out that I see that Dell is now offering nVidia cards as an option.

Not the top-of-the-line nVidia card, but pretty close... 6800 GT w/256MB.

While I would like the option of having the 6800 Ultra, allowing for at least one nVidia card does greatly simplify the process of putting Linux on these machines (I'm thinking the reason they don't offer the Ultra is owing to the voracious appetite for power these cards require... their stock PSU probably can't deal.)

And I commented elsewhere about not being able to not get a monitor but it appears that they've fixed this too.

(wouldn't simply editted the previous post but that option appears not to be available.)

Rolly

Oct 6, 2004, 7:06 AM

Post #18 of 18 (2571 views)

Shortcut

The problem with making addition/changes to pervious posts is that the new material will not create a little yellow flag letting folks know that something has been added. Better to make a new post as you have done.

Rolly Pirate

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4