Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Ransuzharriman

Sep 9, 2004, 7:53 PM

Post #1 of 9 (4505 views)

Shortcut

"Certificate of Good Health"

Can't Post | Private Reply
I'm applying for an FM3 visa through the consulte here in Austin. When I got the application checklist home, I noticed that one of the things that's required is a "Certificate of good health," a requirement I haven't seen on other websites that talk about the FM3 -- although, since this is a "retirement" FM3, the requirements may be different. Anyway, when I asked my doctor about preparing one, he didn't know what it was. I've called the consulate a couple of times, but got an answering machine and no call back. I'll go back to the consulate if necessary, but I thought someone might have an idea about what the heck this certificate is, what it covers, etc.

Thanks,

Randy Harriman
Randy & Suzie Harriman
Austin, Texas

johanson

Sep 9, 2004, 8:54 PM

Post #2 of 9 (4491 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ransuzharriman] "Certificate of Good Health"

I remember about 8 years ago people talking about how that used to be a requirement. But I wasn't asked to fill out such a form in 1997 for my FM3 nor several years later for my FM2 in the Seattle consulate.

jennifer rose

Sep 9, 2004, 9:02 PM

Post #3 of 9 (4486 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
I checked the Consulate's web page in Austin, and indeed it is a requirement. Although most consulates and INAMI delegations have done away with this hurdle, it did exist in the early nineties when I applied for an FM-3.

What was acceptable to the Consulate in Chicago at that time was a letter from my physician,simply stating that to the best of his knowledge and belief, I did not suffer any communicable diseases, including HIV. We had his secretary notarize it, and it was sufficient. When I drafted the language for his letter, I kept it short and to the point.

(This post was edited by jennifer rose on Sep 28, 2004, 8:47 PM)

Ransuzharriman

Sep 9, 2004, 9:28 PM

Post #4 of 9 (4481 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] "Certificate of Good Health"

Thanks, guys. I guess my best bet, since the requirements seem to vary from consulate to consulate ("it's a Mexican thing"), is to go back to them and ask what they want.
Randy & Suzie Harriman
Austin, Texas

pat

Sep 10, 2004, 6:47 AM

Post #5 of 9 (4456 views)

Shortcut

I would take Jennifer Rose's recommendation. Do it the way you want it, short and sweet. If you ask for more guidance, you may get more guidance from some low-level functionary than you really want.

Pat

Ransuzharriman

Sep 10, 2004, 7:33 AM

Post #6 of 9 (4439 views)

Shortcut

Re: [pat] "Certificate of Good Health"

Pat --

Perfect timing! After sleeping on it overnight, that's exacatly what I've decided to do. So I'm working with my Doc to come up with the words.

Randy
Randy & Suzie Harriman
Austin, Texas

Bubba

Sep 10, 2004, 8:11 AM

Post #7 of 9 (4429 views)

Shortcut

Re: [pat] "Certificate of Good Health"

Excellent advice, Pat and I see your advice is being wisely taken.

We are renewing our FM -3 for the fourth year and every year there is a big surprise that we simply cope with. We have learned down here not to be too inquisitive, especially of a clerk who will probably interpret the law quite literally.

Examples:

Each year I have had to sign a statement that my wife is a morally correct person and I will support her because our primary FM-3 is in my name. That requirement is funny enough just on its surface. This year, they would not accept that written statement unless it was modified to fit their new format and witnessed by two responsible people whose identity is confirmed by copies of their "official" papers.

For three years they have accepted our bank statement that shows a balance in excess of the annual income requirement but no deposits during the three month period required. There have been posts hereabouts quoting the law that specifically requires a minimal income flow through deposit activity. There was a time when we would have inquired about this with the person taking in our paper work. No more! Never stir the pot.

By the way, as far as good health is concerned, doctors around here will sign anything if the price is right.

lmaxine

Sep 10, 2004, 10:21 AM

Post #8 of 9 (4404 views)

Shortcut

Before I moved here in '95, I was told by the Mexican Embassy in NYC that I needed that, and also an AIDS test. But, someone already living here told me to forget that and get my FM3 here. I did-no problem, no health certificate nor AIDS test-just proof of income, passport, proof of local address.
"He upon whose heart the dust of Mexico has lain will find no peace in any other land." Malcolm Lowry

johnv

Sep 10, 2004, 6:36 PM

Post #9 of 9 (4337 views)

Shortcut

I obtained an FM3 in the state of Texas (not in Austin) in January of 2002 and there were no requirements for a "certificate of health", nor were there any questions whatsoever about my health.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4