Forums  > Areas > Gulf of Mexico

johndish

Sep 9, 2004, 10:43 AM

Post #1 of 5 (3126 views)

Shortcut

d.f. to veracruz

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi,

My good friend wants to go to Veracruz with his young boys.

It is an extra $1000 to fly direct to veracruz

Can you advise how long of a car ride it would be or how much and how long a bus ride would be?

Ed and Fran

Sep 9, 2004, 12:25 PM

Post #2 of 5 (3117 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johndish] d.f. to veracruz

Probably about 4 hours +/-. Highway all the way. Lots of bus departures. Save the money.

You can check schedules on a couple of good bus lines that run that route here:
www.adogl.com.mx
www.uno.com.mx

Regards

Ed

NJ2VER

Sep 10, 2004, 9:36 AM

Post #3 of 5 (3095 views)

Shortcut

5 hours to the port. Warn the driver that the mountain pass near Pico de Orizaba is 1 1/2 hours of tough mountain driving. The road is good but expect switch back curves and low visibility due to fog. I did it in January 2003 and got a little dizzy at the top of the pass due to lack of oxygen. The rest of the trip is a great highway- much more pleasant than the NJ Turnpike.

esperanza

Sep 10, 2004, 11:40 AM

Post #4 of 5 (3090 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NJ2VER] d.f. to veracruz

The day I drove from Veracruz to...well, I can't remember where we ended up that day, but the highway over the mountains was one of the most beautiful and exciting drives I've ever made. The clouds covered the Pico de Orizaba, then moved away, then covered it again, then moved away--the mountain flirted with us through the whole drive. We stopped for photos and drove on to Fortín de las Flores, then on again to whatever destination we had that day. The thrill of seeing the snow-covered mountain along that way is still in my heart.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

"El Gringo Jalapeño"

Sep 10, 2004, 11:26 PM

Post #5 of 5 (3079 views)

Shortcut

Johndish:
Ed and Fran are right. Take the bus and enjoy the ride. I haven't driven to Mexico City in over 15 years, and my daughter and grandchildren live there! It is so easy to take the UNO or ADO GL, and cheaper, then why hassel! And if you are flying out of Mexico City and are in Xalapa, take a bus to Puebla for a day tour and then the Estrella Roja direct to the airport. I have done that several times and it worked great.
Let me know if you need more information.
¡Hasta pronto!
Roy B. Dudley "El Gringo Jalapeño" See more about Xalapa at www.xalaparoy.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4