Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

olalla

Sep 2, 2004, 8:32 AM

Post #1 of 10 (1520 views)

Shortcut

Scooters in Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
How practical and how safe would a scooter be in the Lakeside area? Honda has three models in Mexico for under US$2000. It would sure be cheap on gas and a lot more maneuverable than a car or truck.

johanson

Sep 2, 2004, 10:59 AM

Post #2 of 10 (1493 views)

Shortcut

Re: [olalla] Scooters in Mexico

You see some (very few) folks tooling around on them in Ajijic, usually in the day. It's better than walking, but not much. You don't have to worry about being caught in the rain like we do today in Olalla or Skagit Cty.

How about a used VW bug?

Bubba

Sep 2, 2004, 11:51 AM

Post #3 of 10 (1481 views)

Shortcut

Olalla:

While I cannot say this with any certainty, I would guess that there is the possibility that you may not have driven in Mexico extensively, hence the question regarding the option of buying a scooter upon which to scoot about town here in Lakeside.

Of course, you can do this and this is a very efficient mode of transportation. To ascertain whether or not this is a good idea is to view the notion according to perspective. For example:

If you are speaking from the perspective of your life or health insurance companies, this is a bad idea.

If you are speaking from the perspective of, shall we say, the comptroller at San Javier Hospital in Guadalajara who is seeking ways to improve cash flow by utilizing expensive life saving urgent care equipment and hospital room units turnover, it is a fine idea.

If you are speaking from the perspective of the U.S. Social Security Administration which would like to decrease the average life expectancy of pensioners (500,000 or so) living in Mexico, it is a wonderful idea.

Honda and Pemex have opposing views as you might expect.

And, finally, there are the truck and bus drivers' unions charged with defending the rights of the unbelievably wreckless and powerful truck and bus drivers after their members have smashed you to smithereens as you tooled along the highway on your tiny little, invisible scooter and got in the way of their completing their daily chores . Do you have any idea how much it costs to maintain these resultant fugitives in safe house for a few days until they have been cleared to return to the job through the system without even the remotest chance that they will be penalized in any fashion?

Or, are you speaking from your own perspective? To give you some insight, here is what you need to know of the police report reporting your demise. "Acted imprudently, body shipped back to loved ones in Washington State".

End of story.

olalla

Sep 2, 2004, 12:10 PM

Post #4 of 10 (1475 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Scooters in Mexico

Bubba, Subtlety is not your strong suit, is it?

Bubba

Sep 2, 2004, 12:59 PM

Post #5 of 10 (1463 views)

Shortcut

Olalla:

You will like it here but, subtlety? This is the most subtle place on earth. The reason for my post was to help you cut through the subtlety. If you get my drift, I have saved you from about three years of grief. If I haven't, welcome and fasten your scooter seatbelt. You are on your own.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Sep 2, 2004, 1:04 PM)

olalla

Sep 2, 2004, 2:02 PM

Post #6 of 10 (1447 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Scooters in Mexico

I have been saved.

gbatrucks

Sep 2, 2004, 2:14 PM

Post #7 of 10 (1444 views)

Shortcut

Wait until Bubba gets on one of his sarcastic rolls...It is to die for! It's really quite entertaining and usually full of subtle wisdom assuming the reader is not so thin skinned and insecure as to take it personal or serious (Bubba is neither).

But to your point, the roads especially in the villages (except Joco) are cobblestone and not finely laid like one finds in Rome where Vespa's abound. I would not want to traverse those trecherious streets on a large-wheeled motorcycle, leave alone a small-wheeled scooter. In fact, often visitors & new comers twist many an ankle until they get there "'village-legs".

Bussess are frequent & cheap. Even cabs are affordable.
"The trouble with life is there's no background music."

olalla

Sep 2, 2004, 2:18 PM

Post #8 of 10 (1440 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gbatrucks] Scooters in Mexico

I've read many of Bubb'as other postings. I think I got off rather lightly compared to others I've read. Not having been to Lakeside yet, I haven't experienced the roads for myself. If I had, I might not have bothered posting the question based on what yoou all are saying. Will be there for two weeks in November.

Bubba

Sep 2, 2004, 2:29 PM

Post #9 of 10 (1436 views)

Shortcut

Olalla:

You're a good sport. I have a neighbor who went the scooter route for a few months and I would be glad to introduce you to her when you are here. Her wisdom is first hand. I'm simply FOS. LCDBBQ has some good points. The roads can be a bit rough here as you probably already know.

Bob

mkdutch

Sep 3, 2004, 9:57 PM

Post #10 of 10 (1325 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gbatrucks] Scooters in Mexico

"...(except Joco)...". Point well taken. The heaviest concentration of motor scooters IS in Joco, probably because there are more smoothly-paved roads there than any other community in the Lakeside area. In the last several years, however, the number of scooters in other communities in the area has increased. It's a great mode of transport if you don't have to haul anything, and many scooters use the "bike paths" that protect walkers and bikers from manic bus and truck drivers on the carreterra. A lot depends on what your transportation needs are. If it's only to get from one place to another, scooters are a cost-effective way to go. But if you want to transport people or produce and not get wet when it rains, forget it.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4