Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

skycop51

Aug 26, 2004, 10:08 AM

Post #1 of 19 (11633 views)

Shortcut

Affordable and Nice B&B in the Lake Area

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello all from Jacksonville Florida. I am new here and really do enjoy this board. I want to retire here but my spouse infactically does not. Not sure if the damn is going to hold us anymore? :0}

I have a free ticket and want to come to the Lake area by myself for a week. So I will need little money, just some food and fun money. I am coming to take some pictures, rest and meet you all.

Thanks

Gringo Bill
William Bobbitt

RIONSDAD

Aug 28, 2004, 5:24 AM

Post #2 of 19 (11536 views)

Shortcut

Re: [skycop51] Affordable and Nice B&B in the Lake Area

come on down...There are many Floridians here, and probably more after Hurricane Charley..Low humidity,great evening temps, Many B&B's to stay at, and lots to see...But it's not Florida, with the white sandy beaches, and highrise hotels....

skycop51

Aug 28, 2004, 8:38 AM

Post #3 of 19 (11515 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RIONSDAD] Affordable and Nice B&B in the Lake Area

Hello: Personal things not going well for me after all these years. I am just about to sell my home, then I will be on my way.

I just have to clear my head and get some personal peace badly.

Gringo Bill

I have lived overseas for over 12 years, but not Mexico but I think I am ready. Hope the high altitude does not bother my blood pressure.
William Bobbitt

NEOhio

Aug 28, 2004, 9:09 AM

Post #4 of 19 (11499 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
When scouting out B&Bs the least expensive seemed to be Laguna with a current low season price of $100 per week. When inquiring about this B&B in the past it was pointed out to me that the low cost does come with a realtor and that if I stayed there I should make it clear that I was not hiring the realtor - and then be prepared to duck and weave a few times. This might suit you if you are forthright with them about the personal space you desire.

dleach

Aug 28, 2004, 10:05 AM

Post #5 of 19 (11491 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NEOhio] Affordable and Nice B&B in the Lake Area

Don't worry about the blood pressure.

This is the best place I've ever found to unwind.

ENJOY!

cristalhombre

Aug 28, 2004, 11:43 AM

Post #6 of 19 (11469 views)

Shortcut

Jacksonville....................the coldest I have EVER been and EVER will be (unless hell freezes) was the Christmas break 1978 working construction (setting steel) on a high rise government building just across from the beach in JAX. I recall the temp posted on a neighboring building was 25 degrees F and the screaming gale force wind off the ocean and dampness penetrated my denim jacket and cotton gloves....jeeeeeez it was cold. My peanut butter and jelly sandwich was frozen stiff when I open the lunch pail. Couldn't drink enough coffee.

I was a college student living in Orlando hoping to make some "green" over the holidays. It was a memorable experience as I was so cold that my hands would not grip tools. Anyway it sure made me want to finish school, get an "indoor" job and never have to freeze my butt again.

BTW you will appreciate the weather around Lake Chapala year round compared to JAX. Big improvement!

Enjoy your visit and I vote for Tres Leones B & B. I have stayed there three separate times. It is above the village and near the trails to hike up to the shrine which I like to do every morning about sunrise. 30 minute hike approx. 400 foot elevation gain. Great views, and neat folks along the way.

Bueno suerte amigo

"NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST...."

bournemouth

Aug 28, 2004, 12:01 PM

Post #7 of 19 (11466 views)

Shortcut

We just returned from a 2 week stay at Laguna B & B - there was absolutely no problem with realtor pressure. It was mentioned once that if we wanted a house tour, they'd be happy to arrange it - other than that nothing else was said. The place is simple but very pleasant. The staff were delightful, the location is great and the breakfasts were cooked to order. The first week we took all the rooms and it was like having a small private hotel. We would certainly return.

Texwheel

Aug 28, 2004, 2:13 PM

Post #8 of 19 (11448 views)

Shortcut

Laguna is VERY basic...four okay but minimal rooms, no TV and phone access only in the realty office. Not well managed and management often hard to locate. Good breakfasts and friendly help, and good location, but that's about it. Good price, though.
Tom Williams
Georgetown, Texas
Texwheel@aol.com

RIONSDAD

Aug 28, 2004, 2:25 PM

Post #9 of 19 (11443 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RIONSDAD] Affordable and Nice B&B in the Lake Area

I have personally stayed at Casa Flores w/Jean & Walt Smith, Jean @ The Swan Inn(right next to LCS), Joseph @ Casa Blanca, (Across from the Swan Inn), The rates are all about the same ($55-60/day) with breakfast included, one or two people, and are all in the village...I now live about 1 mile East in the LaFloresta area,I can walk to the village, bus to Jocotopec(West) and Chapala(East), for about 75 cents, or drive anywhere...But be prepared for cobblestone streets, some trash, great people, and unbeatable weather...it will give you 10 years of additional life...

bournemouth

Aug 28, 2004, 2:30 PM

Post #10 of 19 (11442 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Texwheel] Affordable and Nice B&B in the Lake Area

Four positives is pretty good - good breakfasts, friendly help, good location and good price. If one needs a hand held and a lot of guidance, then this may not be the place but for self sufficient visitors, it's great. No t.v. is a plus for us and we had a cell phone on the Verizon North American plan. After all, what should one expect for the off season price, which is an incredible value in today's world and even yesterday's world.

Texwheel

Aug 28, 2004, 2:40 PM

Post #11 of 19 (11439 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Affordable and Nice B&B in the Lake Area

You're right, it's an excellent value and was fine for me. For some it would not be acceptable because there is no way to get help after hours; it is left for the inmates to run the asylum. Two rooms of guests had real problems with roaches while I was there, to no satisfactory solution. But for $100 a week including a good breakfast....
Tom Williams
Georgetown, Texas
Texwheel@aol.com

NEOhio

Aug 28, 2004, 3:27 PM

Post #12 of 19 (11422 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
It did sound like the type of place he was looking for, he has a free ticket down, things aren't going well, so this is $100 a week, and he seems upfront about his need for space....Basic, some food and the chance to think....not bad for $100. Hope he gets there and finds the trip and all he experiences helpful to his psyche.

We are staying as Casa Flores over Thanksgiving week, and Tres in February - so excited!!

skycop51

Aug 28, 2004, 4:02 PM

Post #13 of 19 (11415 views)

Shortcut

this is a most sad time for me. I lost my job and everything else it seems. I have just hit the brick wall. I do not have much left it seems. I intend on living there or thereabouts for what ever time I have left. If you see a short pudgy guy who might look at bit like Spank McFarlan, that might be me.

I just wish my wife would come with me, she will not, so thats it.

All my best, great job on the posts.

Gringo Bill
William Bobbitt

esperanza

Aug 28, 2004, 5:27 PM

Post #14 of 19 (11401 views)

Shortcut

Bill, if you're going to be here by Wednesday September 1, there's a get-together planned for posters on this board and a couple of other Lake Chapala-oriented boards. The get-together is for drinks and a meal at Tom's Bar on Calle Constitución in Ajijic. Ask at your B&B for directions; it's easy walking distance from the Laguna B&B. Be sure to be there--meeting some of the lunatics who post here will surely cheer you up.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

ERISAjunkie

Aug 28, 2004, 9:52 PM

Post #15 of 19 (11364 views)

Shortcut

Bill-

I don't know you so no advice. A free ticket and a one week break sounds great. I would take the inexpensive accommodations- who cares, you are by yourself. It will be fine. A week away to clear your head, heck- two weeks, may be what you need to get your bearings.

Rich

skycop51

Aug 28, 2004, 10:18 PM

Post #16 of 19 (11356 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Affordable and Nice B&B in the Lake Area

Bag is basically packed now, waiting for some cash to come in. yes I think I will be there.

thanks..

Bill
William Bobbitt

skycop51

Aug 28, 2004, 10:19 PM

Post #17 of 19 (11355 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ERISAjunkie] Affordable and Nice B&B in the Lake Area

thanks...I plan on staying after i get my visa all corrrect.

Bill
William Bobbitt

skycop51

Aug 29, 2004, 8:42 AM

Post #18 of 19 (11299 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Affordable and Nice B&B in the Lake Area

Already found accomodations with HO HO, do you know him..

Bill

interested!
William Bobbitt

esperanza

Aug 29, 2004, 9:33 AM

Post #19 of 19 (11286 views)

Shortcut

HO HO? Hmmm...I do know someone named Ho. Maybe it's the same person.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4