Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Bubba

Aug 25, 2004, 8:55 PM

Post #1 of 45 (3807 views)

Shortcut

Upon the Notion of Dogs and Expatriots in Mexico

| Private Reply
In Korea they eat dogs. In the United States they waste dead dog flesh that could provide nutrition for creatures still alive. But, in Mexico, we have this group of marginal gringos that have no concept of the desperate lives of the humans around them forced to live in utter poverty but shed crocodile tears over abandoned dogs. Now, Bubba is one who believes that the life of a dog is every bit as precious as the life of a human being. What really irritates me is the realization that these hypocrites don't see that the reason that dogs suffer and die in public here in mexico is because in Mexico they lack the resources to round up excess dogs and poison them by the millions as they do in the United States. Shame on you phonies. In Toledo you could have been a contender. Here you are just another fart in the wind. Go home and change your world or just shut up.

Esteban

Aug 25, 2004, 10:51 PM

Post #2 of 45 (3778 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Upon the Notion of Dogs and Expatriots in Mexico

| Private Reply
Although sometimes I share your sentiments I think your'e dead wrong. All of us live excessive lifestyles to a certain degree. To pick on people who want to care for animals you should also look at your own lifestyle and see where YOU are wasting natural resources, spending money on things that could feed the starving all over the world. Mother Theresa was a good example of where the path of righteousness exists as opposed to where we are now. We all make choices according to our own personalities and I'll bet one of those dog lovers could examine YOUR life and suggest some better choices.

talosian

Aug 26, 2004, 6:33 AM

Post #3 of 45 (3747 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Bubba, you fascinate me, you are a true textbook study. Your posts range from intelligent and communicative with valid points to nasty, sarcastic (which is the least effective form of communication) to name calling, which serves no usefull purpose. I sometimes wonder if some of your posts are influenced by Jack Daniels or some similar person who occasinally changes people's attutudes and outlooks.

For me, who loves animals, your posts on this topic have truly turned me off to considering anything you say as having value. Sorry, though I'm sure you don't care.

And I am posting this public rather than private because when I truly believe something, as you, I have no problem being open about it.

=30=

Spock
"When all logical explanations have failed, we must look to the illogical for the answer.

Bubba

Aug 26, 2004, 7:27 AM

Post #4 of 45 (3736 views)

Shortcut

Re: [talosian] Upon the Notion of Dogs and Expatriots in Mexico

| Private Reply
Esteban & Talosian:

You guys are both right. I have this defect. If everybody is either on the bandwagon for a cause or silent out of having been intimidated, I have to present a contrary view. That is the reason that I, in turn, have tried to punch holes in other sacred cows such as the LCS and Amigos del Lago, two vastly overrated organizations.

I actually have great admiration for Anita's works and wish her well. When we lived in Northern California, we bought only pure bred mastiffs but here, we have replaced our dogs only with abandoned and ill Ajijic street dogs and they have been a true pleasure for us. Our limit is four dogs, however. We consider our care for these dogs to be a lifetime commitment and take them wherever we go. These mutts are even in our wills. We feel no need to apologize to anyone.

What I cannot take is the hypocrisy of people from the United States who, through their taxes, support a vast killing machine they like to euphemistically call "Animal Control" so they don't have to put up with sick and mangy creatures roaming their streets and then go into hysterics when they move to a country without the resources or inclination to duplicate their publicy funded killing fields. You are new here Talosian and you live in Mazatlan, Esteban so maybe you are not jaded by having had to listen to members of the Mutt Mafia moan and groan about the unfairness of life where they lack the gas chambers and ovens to keep the streets pristine and dog free.

Rather than agonize over Anita's having lost her spot at the tianguis, why don't those of you so rattled by this experience get together and organize to rent her a spot so she can display her dogs publically.

And, unless you have taken in desperately sick street dogs and provided them a home, stay off my case.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Aug 26, 2004, 7:28 AM)

Kip

Aug 26, 2004, 8:15 AM

Post #5 of 45 (3716 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Well Bob ole boy, you may be surprised to learn that you're not the only one to take in a sick and abused animal. If you socialized more you'd discover just how many people do. Someone who flaunts how they only will accept the finest of everything really is in no position to rage at others who choose to spend their extra time and money on helping animals in need. Adopting one darling little critter does not exactly make you St Bubba. I know one lady on a a tight budget, who sets aside enough money to have one dog (not her own) spayed a month. That money could have bought her some small luxury but this is more important to her. You have a different mind set and that is your right, but don't abuse her for her kindness.

None of these people are bitching about dead dogs on the street, they are too busy getting them out of harms way, feeding them, nursing them back to health and having them nuetered so there won't be more puppies scavenging and being run down by cars or dying of starvation.

I have defended you, ( and taken a hell of a lot grief for it, maybe you don't remember?) and tried to explain you in the past but this is much too important. Lives are at stake.

If you truly give a damn about the animals and not just the quallity of fine olive oil, why don't YOU scout out a place for her to display the animals?

And "stay off your case?" That's like throwing sh*#t at someone then running to Mommy yelling "They're picking on me!"

Kip
kip

talosian

Aug 26, 2004, 8:35 AM

Post #6 of 45 (3708 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I don't live in Mazatlan, I live outside of Chapala. I guess you don't remember that from when I invited you to my BBQ.

I don't know about others here, but I don't and won't buy into flames and being nasty and sarcastis. There is such a thing as diplomacy which is sometimes defined as being able to tell a person to go to Hell in such a way they look forward to the trip. Even if you have valid points in your posts, they are easily lost in the rhetoric, sarcasm and overall negativeness of the way you put them.

I will say though, you may have an excellent point about "everyone" getting together and finding Anita (and paying rent for the day) a place to show her dogs. Even though I don't speak Spanish, I am going to make an effort to see if there is a place close to the Wed. market which might be interested. I'm also going to ask what is needed to display on the street and if it can be done, I for one will vilunteer to man one of the places since Anita can't be at two places at once.

Nuff said.

Spock.
"When all logical explanations have failed, we must look to the illogical for the answer.

Bubba

Aug 26, 2004, 9:02 AM

Post #7 of 45 (3694 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Actually Talosian, it is Esteban who lives in Mazatlan.

Since you and Kip are attacking me, I've decided to be nice from now on. Thanks, for the BBQ invitation of a couple of weeks ago, sorry we couldn't make it.

Kip, what's wrong with excellent olive oil?

viejogatomalo

Aug 26, 2004, 9:42 AM

Post #8 of 45 (3679 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Bubba, Please don't turn over a new leaf, we like you as you are. It's what makes the forum so interresting and alive. (As long as I'm not the recipient). I truly look forward to your editorials, may not agree, but does twist my mind around to another viewpoint.
Keep up the good work.

Texwheel

Aug 26, 2004, 10:26 AM

Post #9 of 45 (3662 views)

Shortcut

Re: [oldbadcat] Upon the Notion of Dogs and Expatriots in Mexico

| Private Reply
Ole Bubba's attitude reminds me of a corporate VP of Marketing I worked for too many years ago. As we met for periodic reviews of plans/results/etc., which were of course always perfect, if things were going too smoothly, meaning everyone present recognized the perfection of our plans and efforts, he would take a contrarian view point here and there and really bore in with the questions and challenges. Forced us to rethink, defend or agree, but explain our stance.

It's called the Socratic method of teaching. My god, Bubba a Socrates?

Bubba, keep being crochety. Suits you well and keeps things exciting.
Tom Williams
Georgetown, Texas
Texwheel@aol.com

Bubba

Aug 26, 2004, 11:09 AM

Post #10 of 45 (3647 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Texwheel] Upon the Notion of Dogs and Expatriots in Mexico

| Private Reply
Jesus, Tex:

Without getting into politics, George Bush (or any other president) could have used this fellow in the tank. He would not have been there long, however.

gbatrucks

Aug 26, 2004, 11:27 AM

Post #11 of 45 (3640 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
This is the second time Talosian has said sarcasim is not effective. Actually it is QUITE effective in getting us out of the group-think duldrums...maybe not "nice" or University of Wisconsin politically correct, but stimulating? Yes. Please don't preach to us Spock, we like Bubba the way he is. The thought control police have slammed down the free for all on the other FREE webboard recently, so as we speak, there are about 9 people over there discissing MEAT LOAF receipes for Gawd's sake, & twice that many here & we all PAID for the privelage.
"The trouble with life is there's no background music."

Uncle Jack

Aug 26, 2004, 11:33 AM

Post #12 of 45 (3635 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gbatrucks] Upon the Notion of Dogs and Expatriots in Mexico

| Private Reply
there are about 9 people over there discissing MEAT LOAF receipes for Gawd's sake

That's right!......and would you believe that so far Bubba gets first prize for the best recipe? AND he didn't even mention possum meat.

uj

gbatrucks

Aug 26, 2004, 11:40 AM

Post #13 of 45 (3632 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Uncle Jack] Upon the Notion of Dogs and Expatriots in Mexico

| Private Reply
Maybe I should contribute my "Critter de Jour" meat loaf...If it's Wednesday it Might be Possum. You get to make the Mayo...Bubba can be wine steward. And what the hell does a Vulcan know about Southern BBQ anyway?
"The trouble with life is there's no background music."

Bubba

Aug 26, 2004, 11:41 AM

Post #14 of 45 (3630 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Don't worry guys, all that stuff about being nice was on the level of Nixon's visit to China. Get Kissinger drunk with Chinese rice liquor and have him cede Formosa.

I am intrinsically incapable of agreeing with bleeding hearts who wear their emotions on their sleeves. A pox on their houses. Go home and change Aunt Bertha's soiled underwear and then come back here and save the Mexicans and their mascotas once that problem is resolved. Then you will have my respect but only after Aunt Berta's incontinence is history.

Tend your own garden as Voltair said.

viejogatomalo

Aug 26, 2004, 12:10 PM

Post #15 of 45 (3612 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
What meat loaf recepies!!! I'm hungry.

Bubba

Aug 26, 2004, 1:16 PM

Post #16 of 45 (3595 views)

Shortcut

Re: [oldbadcat] Upon the Notion of Dogs and Expatriots in Mexico

| Private Reply
Frankly, Bubba believes that meatloaf would be improved by about a 25% component of slaughtered gutter dog meat which would add flavor and help the balance of trade with Korea. The first time I ate horse meat was in Paris at the home of my new bride and mighty fine it was. Much less fatty than cow meat and very tasty.

In Delhi, India, Bubba had an intellectual ask him how westerners could eat the filthy cows. The most disgusting animal on the planet.

In Teotitlan del Valle, Oaxaca, local indigenous people offering grasshoppers for snacks expressed disgust that in my wife's native France people eat snails. I agree with that by the way. That is a disgusting habit.

You want to save dogs? Start a dog farm. And shut up.

Kip

Aug 26, 2004, 1:19 PM

Post #17 of 45 (3592 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Shut up? You betcha.
kip

Bubba

Aug 26, 2004, 1:56 PM

Post #18 of 45 (3581 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Kip] Upon the Notion of Dogs and Expatriots in Mexico

| Private Reply
Kip:

Are you mad at Bubba?

BrentB

Aug 26, 2004, 4:52 PM

Post #19 of 45 (3549 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Used to live in Chicago, motorists would stop in the street for a dog, and run right over a human. At least in MX, there isn't a distinction.
Many people could learn from a dog though. Never crabby, don't ask for much, always happy to see you, loyal, a better friend couldn't be found!

Brent

talosian

Aug 26, 2004, 5:02 PM

Post #20 of 45 (3546 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Bubba;

It's my personal policy not to be friends with people who have more personal problems than I do. Plus, you and I have serious differences in both points of view (and I respect people having points of view other than I do) as well as how we communicate.

We can just leave it at that.

Spock.

Uncle Jack

Aug 26, 2004, 5:10 PM

Post #21 of 45 (3539 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
"Never play cards with a man called Doc. Never eat at a place called Mom's. Never sleep with a woman whose troubles are worse than your own"

Nelson Algren (1909-1981)
Quoted in: Newsweek July 2, 1956

talosian

Aug 26, 2004, 5:16 PM

Post #22 of 45 (3540 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Sarcasm may be effective for many things but one of them is not to get people to see any possible validity in the underlying "message." I am not trying to be thought police or a censor, I simply do not see any communication value in being nasty and belittling other's points of view with sarcasm and name calling.

I respect the right of anyone to disagree with what I think and say, I would simply like/think/hope their expression of disagreement could be couched in terms of courtesy. There are many ways to get your message across and many of them will allow intelligent people the opportunity to consider them and maybe even accept them. But if the expressions of opinion are in rancid tones, then just like the stench of carion, people are turned away.

There are a lot of people who are/were fans of Don Rickles (the insult comic) but they always knew this was his show style and those who know/knew him saw him as a pretty nice guy and socially very pleasant. Maybe Bubba is that way but my (educated) guess is he is not. So if there are people who love Bubba for what/how he is, that's great, I'm just not one of them.

Spock (showing my too human side).

Esteban

Aug 26, 2004, 5:28 PM

Post #23 of 45 (3536 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I have raised MANY dogs, cats, chickens, goats, a few birds, a handfull of steers, a couple of sheep, a turtle and a lessor mina bird. I didn't take them in out of pity although after being given the minah bird, the constant shrieking drove me nuts and I pawned him off on another naive person. That bird was lucky I didn't slash his throat. Bubba, contrary to what you might think, Mazatlan has a huge "save the animals" group. I'm not saying anything negative about them because this town is too small to set myself up for a slaying by an AK-47, the popular tool of the trade in this murderous state of Sinaloa. I now own no pets. I am not a good pet parent type anymore. I now, like most of my animals medium rare cooked over charcoal. However, I do understand the feelings of those with their little darling surrogate subservient children. What irks my ire like unhappy unruly children, are pets who are not trained. "my dog doesn't bite", oh yea, as long as I sit still and don't make any sudden moves towards my beer.

Bubba

Aug 26, 2004, 5:56 PM

Post #24 of 45 (3526 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Spock:

You forget. I'm from San Francisco. I know people who get off on the stench of carrion. It is a lot easier to suffer for animals who can't speak their minds than it is for those animals who can voice an opinion. That is why it is easier for shallow Nortenos to address the suffering of canine companions than for the suffering of destitute human beings. I am not impressed.

Rolly

Aug 26, 2004, 6:06 PM

Post #25 of 45 (3518 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] Upon the Notion of Dogs and Expatriots in Mexico

| Private Reply
I like the little joke that made the rounds in LA many years ago -- What do you call a Vietnamese man with three dogs? A rancher.

The two best dogs who have ever lived with me I rescued from the street. One is still with me -- a sweet, good-natured pit bull. His name is Jason, but I might add a middle name -- Bubba..

Rolly Pirate
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4