Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

Georgia

Aug 25, 2004, 9:49 AM

Post #1 of 23 (1979 views)

Shortcut

Importation sticker: notifying aduana of visa renewal

Can't Post | Private Reply
When we came through at Colombia Bridge last week, the aduana reminded us that when our FM-3 visa is renewed, we have 10 days to notify the Administrador de la Aduana in Mexico, DF and send documentation so that the importation sticker will stay valid as long as our visa is valid. So, the big question: does anyone out there happen to have the address for the office in Mexico City??

I've done a search, and come up dry.

Bubba

Aug 25, 2004, 10:20 AM

Post #2 of 23 (1963 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] Importation sticker: notifying aduana of visa renewal

Georgia:

You have brought up this really sore subject again and, consequently, inadvertently muddied the waters. When last discussed, we got the impression that as long as one had a current FM-3, there was no need to notify anyone of one's continued presence in Mexico with a car imported years ago. We are under the impression that we need not do anything to refresh the temporary importation permit even if we are here under a current FM-2 or FM-3 for 50 years in which case Bubba will be 109 and driving only occasionally.

Rolly

Aug 25, 2004, 1:11 PM

Post #3 of 23 (1929 views)

Shortcut

I think this is the correct address:

Administracion General de Aduanas
Administracion Central de Planeacion Aduanera
Av. Hidalgo No. 77, Modulo IV, primer piso
Col. Guerrero, Delegacion Cuauhtemoc
Codigo Postal 06300, Mexico, D.F.

I also vaguely remember that you can do it in person your local Aduana office. I've never done it, so I'm not really on top of the matter.

Rolly Pirate

Georgia

Aug 25, 2004, 1:31 PM

Post #4 of 23 (1920 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Importation sticker: notifying aduana of visa renewal

Bubba: sorry to burst your bubble, but the guy at Colombia Bridge went out of his way to tell me this. Here's what their website says:

1.1.10 ¿Puede darse una prórroga del plazo para la importación temporal de vehículos?

Si, si se es extranjero. Para ello, la persona que goce de una prórroga, respecto a su calidad migratoria, podrá ampliar en los mismos términos el plazo para retornar su vehículo. Para estos efectos no se requerirá obtener prórroga ante las autoridades aduaneras, pudiéndose acreditar la extensión del plazo de permanencia legal del vehículo en territorio nacional, con el documento oficial que emita la autoridad migratoria, prorrogando la estancia en el país de la persona que importó el vehículo; pero para efectos de no perder la garantía deberá presentar personalmente, en cualquiera de las 48 aduanas del país, un escrito (en formato libre) en el cual avise de su prórroga, dentro de los diez días hábiles siguientes a aquél en que se la hayan otorgado; deberá anexar copia de la misma, así como de la solicitud de importación temporal del vehículo; también puede enviar estos documentos por mensajería, al siguiente domicilio:

Administración General de Aduanas
Administración Central de Planeación Aduanera
Av. Hidalgo No. 77, Módulo IV, primer piso
Col. Guerrero, Delegación Cuauhtémoc
Código

After some tedious searching I found it.

You send a letter saying:

Por medio de la presente me permito informarle a used que El Instituto Nacional de Migracion de este pais me ha concedido prorroga en mi calidad migratoria por el tiempo de ____ dias para permanecer en Mexico, con vencimiento del dia ______.

Lo que estoy avisando a esta autoridad para los efectos del Articulo 106, fraccion IV, inciso a de la Ley Aduanera, con respecto a la importacion temporal de mi vehiculo:

Marca:_____
Modelo: ______
No de serie__________, efectuada por la Aduana de _______ (where you got the permit) al amparo del Permiso de Importacion Temporal No. ______ (hologram no.).
Fecha de Entrada del vehiculo: ______
Fecha de Vencimiento del Permiso: _______

Para que pueda prolongarse el plazo del vehiculo mientras dure mi calidad migratoria.

Atentamente,

Your signature

Th- th- thaaat's all folks.

(This post was edited by Georgia on Aug 25, 2004, 1:38 PM)

Georgia

Aug 25, 2004, 1:34 PM

Post #5 of 23 (1919 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Importation sticker: notifying aduana of visa renewal

Thanks, Rolly. I finally found the website: www.aduanas.sat.gob.mx. You kind of have to hunt around to find the information but it's in the section about Importacion Temporal de Vehiculos, and then you click on the same title againl. Scroll down quite a way and there it is.

esperanza

Aug 25, 2004, 1:50 PM

Post #6 of 23 (1910 views)

Shortcut

This is why I always carry a copy of the law re vehicle importation in my glove box (along with my opera-length kid gloves, of course).

When the authorities along the way have mentioned my 'expired' vehicle sticker, I haul out the copy of the law and show it to them, saying, "Si se entiende bien la ley..." and pass the paper to them for their perusal. It says right there in the law that as long as your visa is good, your sticker is good. No one has ever asked me to write to the Aduana in the DF about a prórroga; I have rather been bowed to and sent on my way.

YMMV.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Bubba

Aug 25, 2004, 2:17 PM

Post #7 of 23 (1905 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Importation sticker: notifying aduana of visa renewal

As much as I love and respect you, Georgia, I shall believe Esperanza because it suits me to do so. Plus, I'm getting rid of my Gringo cars as fast as I can since The Bubba will never darken the door of Gringoland again in this life.

Rolly

Aug 25, 2004, 2:23 PM

Post #8 of 23 (1903 views)

Shortcut

Here's another question to ponder:

The form letter asks for "Permiso de Importacion Temporal No. ______ (hologram no.). " Well, I have no idea what my number is. The sun has faded the number away, and the paper that came with the hologram doesn't show the number.

So, what's a poor mother to do?

Rolly Pirate

esperanza

Aug 25, 2004, 3:30 PM

Post #9 of 23 (1890 views)

Shortcut

A poor mother should refer to my prior post, the one that is no doubt going to get a poor Bubba in agua muy caliente.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by esperanza on Aug 25, 2004, 3:32 PM)

jerezano

Aug 25, 2004, 4:31 PM

Post #10 of 23 (1881 views)

Shortcut

Hello,

Mexican paperwork never ends. When you get your new prórroga the Imigration people are supposed to give you an instruction which tells you to notify Aduana together with the address. Here in Zacatecas they do not do so. In the past after much digging in the files they were able to come up with that instruction.

I too carry a copy of the LAW (Ley Aduanera) with me and have had to show it several times. Only once in the many times I have crossed the frontier was I asked if I had notified the Aduana of the prórroga in writing. I said, Yes. They asked to see a copy and I said it was at home some 500 miles away. That it had never occurred to me to carry a copy. But that it was in their files [Don't you believe it] if they wanted to check.

Since the law is clear that my FM3 was current and that I am entitled to keep my car, they sent me on my way.

Adios. Jerezano.

Georgia

Aug 26, 2004, 6:03 AM

Post #11 of 23 (1828 views)

Shortcut

I think it's the opera gloves part that will cause him problems at the border.

Georgia

Aug 26, 2004, 6:05 AM

Post #12 of 23 (1827 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Importation sticker: notifying aduana of visa renewal

I did the same thing, Jerezano. That's how this all came up. They asked for the reply from aduana about my notifying them of the prorroga. I said I never got one. "El correo, mi imagino." A wise nod, and a reminder to notify them each year. Yes, sir.

rockydog85251

Aug 26, 2004, 8:38 AM

Post #13 of 23 (1798 views)

Shortcut

Here in Mazatlan, we have taken the form letter - all filled out with the appropriate number of copies of same plus the copies of the FM3 - down to the Aduana and in 5 minutes we are usually on our way with a stamped, approved copy in our hands. Sin costo. We also carry a copy of the law in the car but so far on Highway 15 from Nogales to Mazatlan we have never had to use either one.

Willie
Willie

Rolly

Aug 26, 2004, 8:57 AM

Post #14 of 23 (1792 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rockydog85251] Importation sticker: notifying aduana of visa renewal

...the appropriate number of copies ...

How many is that?

Rolly Pirate

rockydog85251

Aug 26, 2004, 9:07 AM

Post #15 of 23 (1788 views)

Shortcut

I believe this office reguires 4 copies of the letter and the FM3.

Willie
Willie

Georgia

Aug 26, 2004, 9:27 AM

Post #16 of 23 (1776 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rockydog85251] Importation sticker: notifying aduana of visa renewal

Interesting that the gov't website doesn't say anything about the number of copies. This is what they require:

Si, si se es extranjero. Para ello, la persona que goce de una prórroga, respecto a su calidad migratoria, podrá ampliar en los mismos términos el plazo para retornar su vehículo. Para estos efectos no se requerirá obtener prórroga ante las autoridades aduaneras, pudiéndose acreditar la extensión del plazo de permanencia legal del vehículo en territorio nacional, con el documento oficial que emita la autoridad migratoria, prorrogando la estancia en el país de la persona que importó el vehículo; pero para efectos de no perder la garantía deberá presentar personalmente, en cualquiera de las 48 aduanas del país, un escrito (en formato libre) en el cual avise de su prórroga, dentro de los diez días hábiles siguientes a aquél en que se la hayan otorgado; deberá anexar copia de la misma, así como de la solicitud de importación temporal del vehículo; también puede enviar estos documentos por mensajería, al siguiente domicilio:

All it asks for is a copy of your FM-3 plus prorroga page and a copy of your vehicle importation papers. I would also add a copy of the photo page of my passport as well, even though they don't ask for it.

Bubba

Aug 26, 2004, 11:19 AM

Post #17 of 23 (1759 views)

Shortcut

Rolly:

The appropriate number of copies is easily definable. It is, at all times, at least one more copy than you have in your possession. Otherwise, how is Cousin Ralphie just outside ot the agency to pay for his copy machine?

katarina

Aug 28, 2004, 1:05 PM

Post #18 of 23 (1661 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Importation sticker: notifying aduana of visa renewal

Where do I get a copy of the LAW to carry with me?

Rolly

Aug 28, 2004, 3:13 PM

Post #19 of 23 (1636 views)

Shortcut

Re: [katarina] Importation sticker: notifying aduana of visa renewal

LEY ADUANERA

TEXTO VIGENTE
(Ultima reforma aplicada 31/12/2000)

CAPITULO III
Temporales de importación y de exportación

Sección Primera
Importaciones Temporales

III. Hasta por un año, cuando no se trate de las señaladas en las fracciones I y IV de este artículo, y siempre que se reúnan las condiciones de control que establezca el Reglamento, en los siguientes casos:

a) Las destinadas a convenciones y congresos internacionales.

b) Las destinadas a eventos culturales o deportivos, patrocinados por entidades públicas, nacionales o extranjeras, así como por universidades o entidades privadas, autorizadas para recibir donativos deducibles en los términos de la Ley del Impuesto sobre la Renta.

c) Las de enseres, utilería y demás equipo necesario para la filmación, siempre que se utilicen en la industria cinematográfica y su internación se efectúe por residentes en el extranjero. En este caso el plazo establecido se podrá ampliar por un año más.

d) Las de vehículos de prueba, siempre que la importación se efectúe por un fabricante autorizado, residente en México.

e) Las de mercancías previstas por los convenios internacionales de los que México sea parte, así como las que sean para uso oficial de las misiones diplomáticas y consulares extranjeras cuando haya reciprocidad.

IV. Por el plazo que dure su calidad migratoria, incluyendo sus prórrogas, en los siguientes casos:

a) Las de vehículos que sean propiedad de turistas, visitantes, visitantes locales y distinguidos, estudiantes, ministros de culto o asociados religiosos, corresponsales e inmigrantes rentistas, siempre que los mismos sean de su propiedad a excepción de turistas y visitantes locales y se trate de un solo vehículo. Cuando no sean de su propiedad deberán cumplirse los requisitos que establezca el Reglamento. Los vehículos podrán ser conducidos en territorio nacional por el importador, su cónyuge, sus ascendientes, descendientes o hermanos, aun cuando éstos no sean extranjeros, por un extranjero que tenga alguna de las calidades migratorias a que se refiere este inciso, o por un nacional, siempre que en este último caso, viaje a bordo del mismo cualquiera de las personas autorizadas para conducir el vehículo.

Los vehículos a que se refiere este inciso, deberán cumplir con los requisitos que señale el Reglamento.

b) Los menajes de casa de mercancía usada propiedad de visitantes, visitantes distinguidos, estudiantes e inmigrantes, siempre y cuando cumplan con los requisitos que señale el Reglamento.

Rolly

Aug 28, 2004, 4:27 PM

Post #20 of 23 (1624 views)

Shortcut

If you want to read the whole thing from a government website, go here and scroll down to article 106:
http://www.cddhcu.gob.mx/leyinfo/txt/12.txt This is a slighter newer version than the one I posted above. So far as I can tell the differences are not important to us. Maybe Jennifer Rose would like to agree or point out any important changes.

Rolly Pirate

RickS

Aug 29, 2004, 8:29 PM

Post #21 of 23 (1553 views)

Shortcut

Translation, Por Favor

No, not really!! Just Kidding.

But, I was just wondering if anyone knows of a web translation service that would take something like Rolly just provided in Spanish, and convert it, in a readable form, to English. The key word here is 'readable'.

Yes, I am familiar with sites such as Alta Vista's Babel Fish, but when I run this and other similar passages through it, it really does not come out anywhere near readable. I then Googled 'translation websites' and got a few more; I ran it through a couple and, while some were better than others, none came out with anything that I could read through and have the slightest idea as to what was being discussed.

Is there a 'silver bullet' of translation service websites??

Rolly

Aug 29, 2004, 9:06 PM

Post #22 of 23 (1544 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Translation, Por Favor

You might try this one: http://www.freetranslation.com/ They have a free service that's not very good; and they have a for hire service that uses real people. I have never tried the pay service.

Rolly Pirate

johanson

Aug 29, 2004, 9:25 PM

Post #23 of 23 (1541 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Translation, Por Favor

Rick This doesn't help you much, when you are up North, but they are readily available in both English and Spanish in the Lake Chapala area. If I were in Mexico, I would go out to the car, get a copy of said document, scan it, and make it avialable to you.

Maybe someone else could do that for you

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4