Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

johanson

Aug 19, 2004, 11:14 AM

Post #1 of 42 (8006 views)

Shortcut

Taxes

Can't Post | Private Reply
I remember a post made perhaps one half a year ago confirming that those of us with FM2s and FM3s do not have to pay the tourist taxes when buying a ticket in the states for traveling to Mexico because we are not tourists. And several Airlines have honored that policy.

I'm having an argument with AA. They state the according to their rules, that because I am an American Citizen even though I have an FM2 and reside in Mexico, I have to pay the tax. When I pushed the point, I was told I could always take it up with the Mexican Government.

I guess the tax is 200 pesos for the charge today is $18.31 US. And that is not much but there is a principle here.

I can't remember where these old posts were. I've searched and searched using the MexConnect search engine and I am obviously not using the correct search words, because I can find nothing.

Does anyone have any ammunition I can use when dealing with American Airlines on this issue?

Thanks in advance

jennifer rose

Aug 19, 2004, 11:19 AM

Post #2 of 42 (8003 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Taxes

Can't Post |
http://www.mexconnected.com/...ring=airlines;#30383

johanson

Aug 19, 2004, 11:47 AM

Post #3 of 42 (7997 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Taxes

Thanks. I used such words as "Tourist tax" etc.i n the search engine. I should have used "airlines".

rockydog85251

Aug 19, 2004, 12:42 PM

Post #4 of 42 (7988 views)

Shortcut

As a retired airline employee that used to be a "rate" agent (I calculated fares of international tickets being reissed/itinaries changed) we NEVER charged Mexican nationals this tax. It will appear on your ticket receipt
as an amount with the initials - UK. It seems some airlines just don't get it but as FM3 holders we have never
had a problem getting a refund if this tax was collected. Just take a photo copy of the photo page of your
FM3 and the page showing the next renewal date and send it to the accounting dept. of the offending airline,
attention: refunds, along with the ticket receipt (keep a copy for your records) and a note stating that you
have Mexican residency and therefore should not be charged this tax. They SHOULD refund the tax back to
you in the form of original payment ie. credit to your credit card or check mailed to your current address.

Buena suerte.

Willie
Willie

johanson

Aug 19, 2004, 1:01 PM

Post #5 of 42 (7985 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rockydog85251] Taxes

Exactly Willie. This does show up as a UK charge. This is what is so strange about this debate I am having with AA. I explained everyting you said to them using the initials UK, they went back to the rate agent, and all I was told was that according to the AA policy and procedures, if I am an American citizen regardless of my residency status (FM-2 or3) that I had to pay this tax. And they very politely stated that if I didn't like it I should talk to the Mexican Government.

It didn't matter that other airlines followed other rules. I even exagurated my importance as a member of the press (write about computers not travel). It didn't matter.

Hey the amount is small, and these are on future flights. But I know I am right so I am going to keep on fighting.

Bubba

Aug 19, 2004, 1:46 PM

Post #6 of 42 (7978 views)

Shortcut

You guys give cheapskates a bad name.

Uncle Jack

Aug 19, 2004, 1:53 PM

Post #7 of 42 (7975 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Taxes

How is refusing to give any airline an extra $20 for services not rendered being a "Cheapskate"? Go to your room!

uj

jennifer rose

Aug 19, 2004, 2:04 PM

Post #8 of 42 (7974 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
But since when do airlines assess a passenger's nationality at the time of the ticket purchase? By guessing at the passenger's name? Abraham Zabludovsky, even if he is dead, wasn't exactly a Hispanic name.

I've never been asked to reveal my citizenship when buying a plane ticket. And I've never been asked to pay additional tax for a tourist card, either.

Bubba

Aug 19, 2004, 2:07 PM

Post #9 of 42 (7975 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Uncle Jack] Taxes

Excuse me, I meant insufferable skinflint.

One day recently, I tried to park in a public parking lot at the abastos only to find, once I was inside, that there was not even one parking place available. When I exited a few minutes later I had to pay the full fare despite my complaints. Can you see this happening to Pete? I can see the headlines now, "Parking Lot Attendant Choked Senseless Despite Pleas for Mercy".

Those of you who even know that this tax exception exists should get a life.

Uncle Jack

Aug 19, 2004, 2:18 PM

Post #10 of 42 (7971 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Taxes

jennifer;

You may just present a more formidable persona than most of us.

uj

Uncle Jack

Aug 19, 2004, 2:29 PM

Post #11 of 42 (7970 views)

Shortcut

Bubba, Bubba, Bubba;

This ain't no exemption. It's a charge that the airlines just arbitrarily add on for a FMT that you don't need if you have a FM-3 or Fm-2. I can't imagine you, of all people, submitting to an unfair charge imposed by an ignorant and unresponsive bureaucracy.

uj

Bubba

Aug 19, 2004, 2:54 PM

Post #12 of 42 (7966 views)

Shortcut

Well, since you put it that way, when do we march on the sonsabitches?

Actually, I admire Pete's frugality. I would like for him to be in charge of my investments but not my allowance. I can see it now:

B: "Pete, I need $44.50 for a Cheese Whopper and Coke down at the Temple."

PJ: "Bubba, you amaze me with your wasteful ways, don't you know that if you go for that Whopper during the Senior Hour between 10:30AM and Noon you can get that same Whopper and Coke for only $19.99? Why, you could have two Whoppers and two Cokes for less than you are paying for one at this time of day."

B: "But, Pete, I like to have a couple of shots of Herradura Blanco straight up to whet my appetite before consuming a Cheese Whopper with extra mayo and onions and the bars don't even open until noon. Besides, in Mexico, at least outside of the gates of Vista Del Lago, it's considered bad form to drink tequila before noon."

PJ: "Sorry Bubba, you don't fool me. You can knock on the back door at Tom's starting at 6:00AM for your tequila and, as far as community approbation is concerned, have the staff serve your drink in a coffee cup and say stuff like ' Y'all sho make a mighty fine cup o' swill, Tom, how 'bout a refill.' when you need more."

Y'all get Bubba's drift.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Aug 19, 2004, 5:56 PM)

Uncle Jack

Aug 19, 2004, 3:11 PM

Post #13 of 42 (7965 views)

Shortcut

I'll meet you at Tom's at 0600. Can I get an extra slice of onion with the extra mayo?

johanson

Aug 19, 2004, 4:47 PM

Post #14 of 42 (7953 views)

Shortcut

Bubba: and all

What is even worse is that my dog and I are flying first class all the way and for some reason there is a special on the ticket and instead of paying something like the normal $1,600 for the round trip from Seattle, the ticket is discounted to about $1,100. and I'm bitching about the $18.31 overcharge.

I need that money for my Whoppers

(This post was edited by johanson on Aug 19, 2004, 6:41 PM)

Bubba

Aug 20, 2004, 8:47 AM

Post #15 of 42 (7903 views)

Shortcut

See what I mean????

All you have to do is offer Pete a discount and he's happy. Forget the fact that I can fly to Paris and back for $1,100 rather than fly first class one way on a puddle-jumper from the piney woods of Lewis and Clark Land to Guadalajara. The important thing is the discount. So, I suggest that the airlines raise the tourist "tax" to $40 and give Pete a 50% discount. That way, everybody's happy.

NEOhio

Aug 20, 2004, 1:16 PM

Post #16 of 42 (7880 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
I am so chuckling, you are a too much.....just about everything you say is true, kind of.....

johanson

Aug 20, 2004, 1:50 PM

Post #17 of 42 (7876 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NEOhio] Taxes

What's worse is that I have spent maybe two hours so far attempting to save $18.31. By the time I am through, may spend a lot more time.

But think about this. If you don't ask for the discount, you are automatically charged this fee, regardless of nationality. Now sure if a Mexican citizen asks, s/he is given the discount. But most people don't know to ask

So what are there 10 or 20 flights per day by AA to Mexico? let's say 15. And if there are only 50 folks who are either Mexican Citizens or non Mexican Citizens but with permanent visas who are over-charged, that equates to almost $13,750 per day (15 X 50 X $18.31) or 5 million dollars per year over-charge. My question is, who gets that money

Uncle Jack

Aug 20, 2004, 2:02 PM

Post #18 of 42 (7876 views)

Shortcut

You suspicious old Poo Poo Head.......I'll bet you are thinking that the airlines just keep it all for themselves.

uj

Rolly

Aug 20, 2004, 2:41 PM

Post #19 of 42 (7865 views)

Shortcut

Yes, Jack, they do. That's what is so galling.

Rolly Pirate

Marlene

Aug 20, 2004, 3:16 PM

Post #20 of 42 (7860 views)

Shortcut

And patience is a huge virtue in waiting for airline refunds of any kind. I seem to recall a year being an acceptable time frame for some airline accounting department to get the money back to the client. Better if there was a way that the charge wasn't levied in the first place.

El Gringo Nuevo

Aug 22, 2004, 4:03 PM

Post #21 of 42 (7789 views)

Shortcut

Georgia Nucci (El Chante) passed along the info to me about a year ago over a cup of coffee at Lucy's in Joco how she had a similiar issue with Delta. I explained it to Northwest Airlines and they were gracious enough to remove the tourist tax to accomodate my FM3. (They had to call the special fare desk in Mecca). We are a Northwest Airlines family and they issue our tickets from Seattle to GDL on both Alaska and Contential Airlines. Good luck.

johanson

Aug 22, 2004, 6:20 PM

Post #22 of 42 (7775 views)

Shortcut

Re: [El Gringo Nuevo] Taxes

I'm lazy. I'm trying to do the littlest amount of work necessary to get my $18.31 back. I started by phoning everyone I could and learned that the problem is that the rate desk has a policy that the folks must follow. The policy is wrong. So I tried to escalate the matter up to a rambling 2 page email, only to learn that the maximum characters allowed was 1500. I got it down to that # Friday and sent in my email asking if it were tax fraud bla bla bla, and asking where the ill gotten gains went once AA got them. I will wait a few days and if I don't get an answer I will, according to great advice from George, make contact with the Amer Airlines DOT liaison person.

Who knows what will happen. I'm not giving up :)

For those of you who only dream of coming to Washington State, that really isn't rain out there. And my rain gauge here in Skagit County doesn't really show 1.35 inches. It really was empty, 24 hours earlier.

(This post was edited by johanson on Aug 23, 2004, 12:00 AM)

Georgia

Aug 22, 2004, 10:00 PM

Post #23 of 42 (7752 views)

Shortcut

Hey, Pete,
When my husband and I were trekking back and forth to GDL from New York, the airlines (Continental and Northwest) gave me the same song and dance. When I got all the money refunded, it came to the price of one round trip from Albany, NY to GDL.

This is trust fund money the airlines collects for the Mexican government. It isn't turned over to them because you don't fill out that FMT form and hand it in. That's how the Mexican gov't calculates how much the airlines has to pay over. So, who keeps the money: the airlines. It's called tax fraud.

Georgia

Aug 22, 2004, 10:06 PM

Post #24 of 42 (7750 views)

Shortcut

By the way, Pete, it's Georgia, not George. I am of the female persuasion. (See photo.) If you don't get your money back, give me a call when you return and I WILL GET IT BACK FOR YOU. I am more than annoyed at US airlines that persistently rip off consumers. It's my mission in life. (Well, one of them.)

johanson

Aug 22, 2004, 10:50 PM

Post #25 of 42 (7747 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] Taxes

Sorry Georgia. I am not known for proof reading my documents. I just run them threw* a spell checker and I am known to make a mistake or three. As you know, I know you from Lagunanet, and do certainly know you are a Georgia and not a George. :)

Thanks for your offer to help. You have already given me a lot of ammunition and I can't believe AA will be so stupid as to not respond in a possitive manner. But who knows, I might be calling you.

**Oh I know that threw should be through. And I know possitive is spelt with three s's not two

(This post was edited by johanson on Aug 22, 2004, 11:54 PM)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4