Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

bettyv

Aug 15, 2004, 5:11 AM

Post #1 of 5 (742 views)

Shortcut

car hauler

Can't Post | Private Reply
We'll be relocating soon and driving into Ajijic from USA and would like to know if we hitch a small trailer of our personals to our car, will we need additional documents to enter the country? And, is this a good idea? Would it be better to have them shipped? There is little we're taking with us, but our Buick could hold only so much. All ideas welcome. Looking forward to your remarks.

NickP

Aug 15, 2004, 3:39 PM

Post #2 of 5 (695 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bettyv] car hauler

You will need proof of owner ship for the trailer. Another thing you need to know is,
all cars and trailers are 'married' when entered together into Mexico.
So if you should deside one day that you want too return to the states to purchase another car, the trailer will have to return with you in order to have the current car removed from the SAT "system"

Since you are considering driving into Mexico with all your personnal effects, make sure you have a current FM3 and that you have a itemized inventory list (in Spanish) OK'd from your local Mexican Consulate prior to entry.

This has all been explained in detail before on this forum.

bettyv

Aug 16, 2004, 5:25 AM

Post #3 of 5 (650 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NickP] car hauler

Thank you, NickP for your info on taking personal belongings into Mexico via car hauler. We now think we're going to ship via air cargo. Still looking into this. There's very little, and if it fits within our car then we'll do that. The hardest thing of all is to convince Bob that we don't need much of that stuff any longer. This might help me in my campaign to finally dispose of all the useless "junk" he's accumulated. I'll bet the ladies will agree while the men do not.

Rocky57

Aug 16, 2004, 6:56 AM

Post #4 of 5 (632 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bettyv] car hauler

I think there is useless and then there is not so useless junk. I have been in the Lake Chapala area for less than two months and I am amazed at how usefull some of my junk has been. And, how much "stuff" that I got rid of and now wish I still had. One persons junk is another persons treasure trove!!! :-) Since many repairs, even on rentals, fall on the occupant many seemingly useless items become quite valuable here.

The Elusive Grandpa Laugh

NEOhio

Aug 16, 2004, 7:09 AM

Post #5 of 5 (630 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rocky57] car hauler

Can't Post |
Okay, this has been done before, but what do you wish you had with you - after 2 months - that you didn't bring.

Personally I am trying to weigh the advantages of paying to bring more than I think I will need with jus using the extra cost of that transportation to replaced what we end up needing when there. Futile I know, but planner that I am, if I don't go thru the mental steps I will always second guess myself, if I do the process of deciding and get it wrong I can move past it rather readily.

Primarily it is the tools accumulated over decades of remodeling and car fixing that is in quesiton.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4